The Official Olympics Thread: Sochi 2014

last reply
135 replies
9.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Story Verifier
0 likes
Never really been interested in winter Olympic events so I will be watching very little of it. Not happy either that is was held in Russia. I don't like Putin and don't like there stance on Gays. Also. I have a funny feeling about a terrorist attack there. Hope I am wrong but....
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Just watched women's moguls as two sisters, Justine and Chloe Dufour-Lapointe, pick up the Gold and Silver medal!
How awesome would that be - to be competing (there are actually three sisters competing at the Olympics) and then placing right next to each other on the podium. Talented family!

Yay for them and yay for Canada!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Curling is the sport for athletes who like to get smashed on Aqvavit and sing drinking songs at the top of their voices in between throws.

How do you know curling was invented for women to play? The brooms.

How do you know when a curler is to drunk to throw? Don't know. It's never happened yet.

I'll quit now. ..
Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by angieseroticpen
Never really been interested in winter Olympic events so I will be watching very little of it. Not happy either that is was held in Russia. I don't like Putin and don't like there stance on Gays. Also. I have a funny feeling about a terrorist attack there. Hope I am wrong but....

Yeah, thanks for that!

Bum flap!

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dudealicious

There are a few choice words I would like to call you right now. Instead, I will take the high road and say I AM JEALOUS!

Hope you have an amazing time watching Canada win gold!

Actually, this might be the most contested Gold medal in Hockey ever. Sweden, Russia, US and Canada all have decent shots at winning it . I've pencilled in Slovakia as my dark horse pic.

If the US wins gold it'll be due to superior goaltending. Ryan Miller , Jonathan Quick FTW !
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Point blank, Sochi should never have been chosen to host the Olympics.

I honestly can't comprehend living in a place where the state condones and even encourages hate crimes against its own citizens in this day and age. How the IOC is taking a backseat approach to everything after the Olympics were dropped in Sochi's lap is totally beyond me. Human Rights. Animal Cruelty. What's next? Sochi was not ready for the world stage. Personally for me, everything I've read/heard and keep hearing has really cast a black cloud over something I look forward to every four years. I have to imagine it affects the athletes as well.

1) I also think the overall athletes performances must be affected, and lets pray that nothing out of the ordinary happens.

2) Putin should take a look at the calendar and check if it's 2014 there also... or just pay attention at the world and Russia demonstrations against him. Standing at a podium, profess peace, host such a global event and than live by those law.. it's an oxymoron.

That said....

I will be watching Snowboard, Luge, Freestyle skiing and Jumping. With all of the channels that we have you would think that the games would have been broadcasted over and over again. I must DVR some at 3 am.

I will also be watching Lanny Barnes in the Biathlon. Lanny is already a Bronze medal in this competition, she won it in Italy and it was the first medal won by a US female biathlete in the history of the championship.

Missing the opening ceremony would have been a huge loss. It was incredibly unique, colorful and elegant. Those overhead projectors that created a seamless and moving image were more than just a complement to the show, but mostly I believe they opened a new way for entertainment. I think we will be seeing a lot more of them especially in huge arenas.

Finally, lots of luck to all of them.. so many years of hard practice and all the dreams will be done in a few rounds. My hat off to Tracy Barnes who qualified for the Biathlon but gave her spot to her twin sister who although also a great athlete was not supposed to go to the Olympic games because was sick and had to miss several qualifying races. Sportsmanship at it's best, she’s already a winner to me.

p.s. The Polish uniforms were appropriately stylish. The Germans could have been utilized in the show. The USA could have been used at Rockefeller Center on Dec 25. Hey, just a little gossip.
Choose n Practice Happiness

Life is simple; we are what we eat and what we read. Talk is superfluous.
Lurker
0 likes
YES! Sports. I missed the opening. How was it?
0 likes
Quote by Ajax
Actually, this might be the most contested Gold medal in Hockey ever. Sweden, Russia, US and Canada all have decent shots at winning it . I've pencilled in Slovakia as my dark horse pic.

If the US wins gold it'll be due to superior goaltending. Ryan Miller , Jonathan Quick FTW !

I will admit that I'm nervous seeing as the entire world has raised the bar in hockey. As for the US winning gold, it sure as hell won't be due to Miller.....Quick perhaps....but not Miller. The Sabres don't even want him anymore seeing as he's playing like crap! The team left last night, I'm looking very forward to it all getting started.

Congrats to our women beating the Swiss team 5 - 0, you go girls!
The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

[URL=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-night-that-changed-my-life-1.aspx][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WPPsy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Just watched women's moguls as two sisters, Justine and Chloe Dufour-Lapointe, pick up the Gold and Silver medal!
How awesome would that be - to be competing (there are actually three sisters competing at the Olympics) and then placing right next to each other on the podium. Talented family!

I'm a bit jaded about the Olympics as a whole (not just this one but the whole movement), but it's stories like this that keep me from totally losing interest. The sisters were known to be contenders going in but I don't think we expected a 1-2 place by them. That's going to one hell of a family reunion when they get home.

As for hockey, we've seen Olympic hockey go from Soviet/Russian domination with a smattering of 2nd placers like Canada, Sweden, and the Czechs. That was back when Canada and the US couldn't field our pros. Since the NHL came in, Russia has faded a bit and Canada and the US have become more dominant. However, you're seeing a lot of non-North American talent in the NHL now as well as better talent in the European leagues, so I agree with others that we should be seeing more competitive men's hockey at the Olympics going forward. And I say that as a big fan of Canada's national team.

Now, women's hockey still seems to have a ways to go in this regard and it's looking like Canada and the US will dominate again this year. Nice for us but really, a broader and deeper tournament would help boost the sport overall so I hope we see some more nations coming on strong here.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Julia Lipnitskaia. just wow...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sprite

I thought she was going to snap her own leg off and twirl it like a baton in one of those spins.

Holy freaking flexible!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

I thought she was going to snap her own leg off and twirl it like a baton in one of those spins.

Holy freaking flexible!

that last spin, it looked like her leg was bent the wrong way or something! lol - my god, tho, her entire performance was beautiful, and i loved the bookends, the little finger drawings on the ice. i'm totally in love with her as a performer - Gracie Gold is brilliant, but doesn't quite have the same... i don't know, grace? charisma? just that undefinable something?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Jesus. Wow. Just watched her free skate; what a beautiful, delicate, strong machine she is. Clearly the best here, the only way she loses is if she falters. I'm pulling for her.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by LadyX

Jesus. Wow. Just watched her free skate; what a beautiful, delicate, strong machine she is. Clearly the best here, the only way she loses is if she falters. I'm pulling for her.

to Schinlder's list? yeah, just watched it too. i mean, seriously, she'd have to just go out on the ice, flip off the judges and not skate in order to lose, right? smile

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sprite

to Schinlder's list? yeah, just watched it too. i mean, seriously, she'd have to just go out on the ice, flip off the judges and not skate in order to lose, right? smile

How crazy that she almost quit skating last year. She has a huge future.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I always loved the Winter Olympics but I must admit the location takes a little of my enjoyment away. Sochi is just not a pretty place like other past locations.

I will be watching Hockey, all the skiing events and some skating. Also love the luge too.

Just wish it was in Austria, France, Italy, even Japan again!
God Empress of Lush
0 likes
Never mind all this - GB actually won a medal! Jenny Jones in the women's snowboard slopestyle. OK, it was bronze, and nobody had ever heard of her before today, but it is better than nothing. Well done Jenny!

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx

Lurker
0 likes
I love the Winter Olympics too - Go Germany!!!

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
So... I don't mean to bitch about this constantly... but I'm gonna anyway.

Re the Team Event ice dance competition. The rumours about a 'fix' being in for Virtue and Moir to get knocked off their reigning Olympic champion title will rise up again because of the way the freedance was judged.

During a competitive year, skaters (especially in ice-dance) tend to top their season's best scores with each successive competition in the season, provided there are no major blips. The goal is to 'peak' at the biggest event - in this case - the Olympics.

Virtue and Moir's season's best this year was around 112 pts. So how is it that at the Olympic Games - at their peak - with perfect twizzles and no element deductions in that freeskate - did they only get 107 pts (a huge drop from their season's best). And Davis and White - who actually messed up on one of their twizzles (which is a very important element) got 114 pts - a full 7 points higher, which is basically unheard of. In all the years they've competed - these teams have always been barely a point or two apart. They both competed with these exact same programs in December and were barely a point apart.

When it comes down to it, they are both very accomplished and skilled teams, albeit with very different styles. But... a 7 pts difference is going to get some talk. I was involved in skating when I was younger, so I know enough to see when something looks 'off' with the integrity of the scoring - it's not even the placement of these teams - it's the lack of subtlety in that gap when Virtue and Moir delivered a clean skate that's hard to explain. Not to mention D/W setting a new world record in freedance scoring with botched twizzles.

But anyway... I guess when it comes down to it - it's fucking figure skating at the Olympics. Sighs. It's a shame for both teams though with the spotlight on the rumours/scandal.

Ok, I'll shut up about it now. Well, at least for a few more days.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by naughtyannie
Never mind all this - GB actually won a medal! Jenny Jones in the women's snowboard slopestyle. OK, it was bronze, and nobody had ever heard of her before today, but it is better than nothing. Well done Jenny!

they've heard of her now, and really, bronze? like third best in the world? congratulations! SO amazing! i'm a huge snowboard fan, so yeah, she's on my radar now. smile

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by naughtyannie

I have heard of her. Didn't she used to have a talk show back in the 90's? Sort of like Jerry Springer, LOL!!

Seriously, Congrats to Jenny. She was awesome!!!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
If I could momentarily hop into the body of an Olympian for a sport - it would probably be to get to experience something like this.

It looks so incredible and scary at the same time!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Is anyone else getting concerned with Bob Costas eye?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by BlondeBookworm
Is anyone else getting concerned with Bob Costas eye?

Bob Costa's Eye is the name of my new band. smile

he got pink eye, nothing to worry about, but very bad timing for him!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

I want to join! Can this be the album cover:

0 likes
I love the Olympics. I don't care much about sports any other time, but during the Olympics I will sit and watch it for hours on end.

Now... The highlight will be hockey. Come on Sweden, uh... I mean Canada... Fuck. I will be one conflicted Swedish Canadian if they end up playing against each other.
Artistic Tart
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Pink eye is so preventable, too. Guess he never saw Knocked Up.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by LadyX

Pink eye is so preventable, too. Guess he never saw Knocked Up.

i never say Knocked up either. how do you prevent pink eye?