Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Readers that don't write. Do they give lower scores?

last reply
158 replies
8.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
I'm not a writer and I still give high scores...a good story deserves a good score.
I have story views in the 3,000s to 8,000s each, but only a handful of votes on each. Those who did vote almost always voted 5.

My conclusion is that people who vote on stories are those who...
...(a) actually have an account here, and
...(b) liked the story enough to give it a score (typically 5, but some 4s).

Therefore, I don't really worry about what people think, since the vast majority aren't even voting.

Lush also takes story editing seriously. For example, one story I submitted it too early, without sufficient self-editing. It got rejected for technical reasons (my syntax with quotes was improper). Lush editors were right, of course. I corrected it, resubmitted, and it went through. This is unlike multiple other erotic writing sites I've made submissions to, or simply read stories on. That probably explains why grades here are high. Lush has high technical standards - your grammar and spelling MUST be correct. Therefore, lower scores due to technical mistakes will be rare.

Personally, when I'm reading stories, if it doesn't appeal to me, I don't finish it, much less vote. However, writers whose stories appeal to me get a vote of support (5), and usually a comment about how much I liked it. I want to encourage people to keep writing what I enjoy!!!

As a writer, I do it for my own pleasure and that of my friends. I am always interested in their opinions. If the thousands who stumbled onto my stories didn't vote for some reason, that's OK. I really don't expect the general public to share my taste in sex fantasies.
I'm not a writer, not a reader, neither a story commentator.... yes I don't give scores smile
But I'm available to negotiate ;) Whatever is your requirement... comments and scores can be given... it all depends on how you please me :P
Quote by Magical_felix
Kind of hard to say either way. I think other authors are more likely to vote though. A lot of readers don't even join the site. They just read. I know I didn't join until I had to because I wanted to post a story.

What I can say for certain is that if you have a low vote count, say under 15 a story, then the voters don't find your stories very compelling. Not compelling enough to give it a vote anyway. Since most every story here has above a 4.9 score I would say that anything below that isn't too hot. 4.6 is getting on the low end of quality.

I agree. Love this site but the scoring does not truly reflect the quality. I gave a three to a popular author that writes on a third grade level and she contacted me with an anger unparalleled. I actually wrote her a note explaining the score and that she needs to use fundamental writing rules. Avoid repetitive words. Use proper tense throughout etc. I eventually, for the purpose of peace, removed the three. Now I only score if it's a four or above. I'm not that great of author myself and have appreciated the comments of the more accomplished authors here.
Heck if I know.

I know that if your piece enraptures me enough that I finish reading it all the way through, it's landing you a five. Otherwise, I don't score (yah, yah, it's the "if you can't say something nice...." thing) at all.

Full disclosure: I have written and posted a few pieces. Not great, not terrible, just words on a screen. Doesn't make me a writer any more than taking my rubbish bins to the curb makes me a sanitation worker.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

I have not written any stories (yet), but I really appreciate the stories on Lush. Being an Editor of erotic stories would be quite a difficult task, I would imagine! smile
Quote by ChuckEPoo

I agree. Love this site but the scoring does not truly reflect the quality. I gave a three to a popular author that writes on a third grade level and she contacted me with an anger unparalleled. I actually wrote her a note explaining the score and that she needs to use fundamental writing rules. Avoid repetitive words. Use proper tense throughout etc. I eventually, for the purpose of peace, removed the three. Now I only score if it's a four or above. I'm not that great of author myself and have appreciated the comments of the more accomplished authors here.

Sounds like the crux of the puzzlement over the inappropriately high slanted scores on lush.