Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Public or Private Schooling?

last reply
16 replies
1.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes

Private or Public Schooling for your children?

Active Ink Slinger
Money being no object, would you put your children in a Public or Private school?

Consider everything, including getting an all round education, the elitism and closed nature of Private schools, bullying, drugs and so on.
Active Ink Slinger
I think it depends on the public and private schools in your area. I did the International Baccaleureate which isn't available at many state schools in the UK. And compared to A levels I think the IB is a better program - eventhough it's a lot of work it is a really well rounded program.

I have been to both private and public schools - there is bullying/drugs/elitism in all school.
Lurker
I agree. It's a thorny issue. I went to private school through 5th grade, then switched to public. There are good things about each system. I feel private can be too "isolated" sometimes. You're not dealing with the real world.
Active Ink Slinger
I only ever went to public schools, and I think no matter how much money I have I will send my children there as well. There may be more opportunities to challenge their minds in a private schools, but I think that public school provides greater social learning by exposing them to a wider variety of people, and also hopefully makes them see that they are no better or worse than anyone else.

I consider myself well rounded and able to talk to anyone from any walk of life. I would want my children to be able to do that as well.
Active Ink Slinger
I also think it depends on the country you're in. It differs from place to place
Matriarch
Quote by Jebru
I only ever went to public schools, and I think no matter how much money I have I will send my children there as well. There may be more opportunities to challenge their minds in a private schools, but I think that public school provides greater social learning by exposing them to a wider variety of people, and also hopefully makes them see that they are no better or worse than anyone else.

I consider myself well rounded and able to talk to anyone from any walk of life. I would want my children to be able to do that as well.

I agree, never have kids.
Active Ink Slinger
I was homeschooled briefly once - bad bad bad idea on my parents part.
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by rxtales
I think it depends on the public and private schools in your area. I did the International Baccaleureate which isn't available at many state schools in the UK. And compared to A levels I think the IB is a better program - eventhough it's a lot of work it is a really well rounded program.

I have been to both private and public schools - there is bullying/drugs/elitism in all school.

System where we live sucks big time. Island nation has been trying to establish it's own high school diploma certification that is not recognised anywhere else in the world and it simply cripples the future of all the kids in public school here. Therefore, tightening the belt, I opted for the expense of private school for my kid. She only gets one chance to get it right andthe private schools have stayed with the Cambridge UK model all the way up to IB.

So far so good. No probs with bullying (yet) but I accept it goes on everywhere.
"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Lurker
I too went to public and private. If I had a child it would go private. Our school system in the US is broken. They dumb down tests for certain people for one reason or another and then still when the children fail they whine and cry that it's not "fair".
I have known several kids home schooled and that is just a joke. I've had people point out 1 or 2 children that are doing well above average in home school as we as public but, that's the exception not the rule.
Active Ink Slinger
Public schools in my area spend more money per student than many others, but rank well down the line when it comes to education received. The only schools here that actually try to teach well are the magnet schools, and the only subject they teach well is that subject they specialize in. If money was no object, my daughter would be going to a private school. As it is, we're sweating out different ways to try to get her into a decent public school...
Matriarch
I would probably put my children in Public school until they were 11, then in Private. That is, unless there was a really good public school nearby.

I hate to say it, but the standard of education is so much better in Private schools here, and in the UK.
Lurker
Same here Nic.
Active Ink Slinger
It's about six years from being an issue, but both of us were public schooled, and we see no reason to go otherwise. The system here is solid, but we both accept and recognize that we have to be involved in her education as well. I want to know what the teacher is telling them, and how she's being taught. Home schooling, as a psychologist is the worst thing you can do to your child in terms of development and social skills. I swear that so many parents have tried it because they have some objection to something being taught in the local school system (I won't get into what those things might be, or the kind of people who object to them). They don't realize that with some involvement in your kid's education, you can negate or blunt the influence of whatever you object to. There were several things my schools did as a kid that mom and dad would explain that those things weren't what they believed in, but they always pointed out that everyone has different opinions, and that everyone had a right to them. Private schools, well, it seems every snotty girl I knew growing up went to the fancy private schools. I don't want her growing up looking down at anyone. Besides, I'm the one that wears the schoolgirl outfit around here...
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." - Groucho Marx
I went to public school and my kids are in public school, too. They're only in their first year, but I've been impressed with what I've seen so far and what I've heard from the parents of older kids there.
Active Ink Slinger
Growing up, I went to a private school all my life, K5 - 12th. The private school I went to was also a college prepratory school also. I enjoyed my time there and got a very good education, which led to a very successful career at college and a very good job. Now, on the other hand, I will say, I had friends that went to public schools and I have seen some be very successful and others have not, but I am not saying that is part of being publicly educated.

Considering everything, I would choose private for my children, but that is because of the education I received. Apart from the bullying and other things, that was much a part of where I went to school. People seem to think that private school does not have any of that, but on the contrary, they do. I saw many things happen in the private school I went too, and they compare just as much to public schools.

It's all a matter of where you want to send your child.
"So don't cry to me.
If you loved me,
You would be here with me.
Don't lie to me,
Just get your things.
I've made up your mind."

--Evanescence
Lurker
In public school you can get a just as good education as private school, the only difference is you don't have to pay or belong to a certan religion.
Lurker
Our daughter has been in private school since pre-k (now in 5th grade) and we are very happy. I think it also depends on where you live and the schools.