Musicians amongst us, show yourselves!

last reply
45 replies
4.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
I've played the piano since I could hop up on to the piano stool as a child. I picked up an acoustic guitar in my early teens, and still play one today.

I dabbled with the flute and other woodwind instruments, but ultimately settled on what I grew up with.

Who here plays which musical instruments, and what standard did you achieve / are you aiming at?
Lurker
0 likes
I've started with piano lessons when I was six, I think. Played couple of years and finally quit when couldn't deal with abusive teacher anymore..She was old frustrated lady who was pinching me all over the body and pulling my hair, smoking and screaming all the time. I didn't have fun at all. I never restarted with lessons and I did regret that in my teens, however my hands are not made for piano and I am no Michel Camilio..
Lurker
0 likes
I play the guitar. I am a fingerstylist but use the skin of my fingers and not my nails. I just like the more mellow sound when playing using flesh. Plus I don't have to keep my nails longer, like claws. I am not "great", but I do ok. I have a very organic style and would call it "camp fire" or "mood music" playing. I don't get really complex, but instead let the guitar "sing", feeling the song and notes. It is one of the things I do to truly relax.

I can't read music. I play by ear; and if I hear it, I can usually duplicate it.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Count me in as #3 for the piano-kids. I started extremely early as a child, went through the Royal Conservatory with grades and exams every year and then gave it up in my early teens. I also had an 'evil' piano teacher in my last two years playing (seems to be a lot of them going around!) - it made me dread lessons. As well, my schedule growing up was jam packed with extracurricular activities and lessons and I thought it was time to start paring things down and concentrating on just one or two disciplines in my teens. Piano was a casualty of those decisions.

In school though - because they make you play an instrument and piano was not available, I also dabbled in the flute. I remember being sick at the time of the year they assigned instruments based on every kid's wish-list. When I returned to school I found out I was stuck with the one nobody wanted - the French horn. Aaack! I tried to make a go of it, but my teacher eventually felt sorry for me trying to lug this monster instrument home. It was wayyy too big for me. He made an exception and found a flute for me to switch over to. Much better.

The guitar is something I'd love to try to pick up sometime. And I've always had a strange yearning for the cello. Maybe one day.

I am a decent singer. I did some musical theatre in school and have some training. I'm by no means pro-quality but yeah, I can carry a tune and people tell me I'm good, so I take that for what its worth. It's still just more of a fun thing for me though.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Count me in as #3 for the piano-kids. I started extremely early as a child, went through the Royal Conservatory with grades and exams every year and then gave it up in my early teens. I also had an 'evil' piano teacher in my last two years playing (seems to be a lot of them going around!) - it made me dread lessons. As well, my schedule growing up was jam packed with extracurricular activities and lessons and I thought it was time to start paring things down and concentrating on just one or two disciplines in my teens. Piano was a casualty of those decisions.

In school though - because they make you play an instrument and piano was not available, I also dabbled in the flute. I remember being sick at the time of the year they assigned instruments based on every kid's wish-list. When I returned to school I found out I was stuck with the one nobody wanted - the French horn. Aaack! I tried to make a go of it, but my teacher eventually felt sorry for me trying to lug this monster instrument home. It was wayyy too big for me. He made an exception and found a flute for me to switch over to. Much better.

The guitar is still something I'd love to try to pick up sometime. And I've always had a strange yearning for the cello. Maybe one day.

I am totally jealous of the opportunities you got. When I was at school music lessons were the music teacher teaching us the rudiments of sheet music but the only instrument in sight was the piano he played to illustrate the theory. Years later I taught myself rock guitar and now music is my main reason for existence. But I always regret not starting earlier and with a good grounding in theory. I have managed to make my living out of it and still play regularly now but feel that many of my shortcomings would have been helped with an earlier and more formal approach. I can read music but not sight read and can hold my own with a lot of good players, jam on bass or guitar and even write my own stuff but I always regret not learning to play at 4 or something instead of in my mid 20's.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
I started off as the 'good girl' of music.
My mum wanted me to play the violin, which I did for a few years and eventually got my grade five (not sure if the grading system is universal or a UK thing).

THEN...

I was corrupted by rock music (thanks Dad!).
I've been playing both acoustic and electric guitar for about 4 years now. I have a really nice tutor, an elderly chap named Chris who looks exactly like Mr. Magoo!

So now I spend my free time, when I'm not writing, being a rock chick! \m/

I have been known to lick my guitar...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Twenty odd years as a guitarist, producer, Pro Tools engineer - amateur, semi-pro and pro as work has allowed.

Sadly it doesn't pay as well as working in the service of the 'free' world.

Rock and metal is my thing although I have sessioned for alt. country bands in years gone by.

Still writing, recording and (very occasionally) performing my prog-metal stuff with various vocalists and drummers. Can we post audio files on here??
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
35 years as a guitarist, saxophone and keyboard player. Studied classical music in college but have played in hard rock bands all my life...
Gibson Les Paul Custom '80
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe '75
Yamaha Strat '93
Custom built strat '85
Marshall amplification (JCM 800 EL-34 Head)
ADA Preamp
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I play Acoustic guitar and Electric Guitar both classical and rock, and i play a 1960 Fender Stratocaster.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I picked up guitar lessons my final year of primary school. The lessons where school based and I'll admit I started out of pure selfishness ( I was excused from a much hated duty school, one I won't mention as I don't want to offend anyone) and not out of love of the instrument. However over the years i have come to love the instrument. I self taught my self after 2 years of lessons. Nowadays I still play from time to time and have attempted to song write too. I do fear though that I can't sing and my song writings barley addequite at best.

There also was a old grand piano forever present growing up. Mum always always had people coming in to tune it and fix it despite it never being used. Instead of an 'evil' tutor like some have mentioned I had an evil mother so to say who banned it from it ever being used. She however did play all the time apparently at some time. I only remember her touching it once when I was younger. The memory is clear I remember I woke to the music drifting through the house. When I found the source was her I was shocked and sat there listening for what felt like hours. When she finished I asked why she didnt play more and she said she just looked at me eyes glazdd over and walked away. As I said she never touched it again nor did I broach the he subject.
0 likes
Not much of a musician, but hoping to change that someday.

I learned clarinet in school and kept it up on and off afterwards. Still have a good clarinet and the intention of starting up again. It's not the easiest instrument, though, in the sense that you can't do much without an accompanist. My son plays piano but has largely lost interest in music else I'd get him to start working with me.

Longer haul, I'd love to learn either piano or acoustic guitar but time is not on my side right now.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by violetcrumble
I picked up guitar lessons my final year of primary school. The lessons where school based and I'll admit I started out of pure selfishness ( I was excused from a much hated duty school, one I won't mention as I don't want to offend anyone) and not out of love of the instrument. However over the years i have come to love the instrument. I self taught my self after 2 years of lessons. Nowadays I still play from time to time and have attempted to song write too. I do fear though that I can't sing and my song writings barley addequite at best.

There also was a old grand piano forever present growing up. Mum always always had people coming in to tune it and fix it despite it never being used. Instead of an 'evil' tutor like some have mentioned I had an evil mother so to say who banned it from it ever being used. She however did play all the time apparently at some time. I only remember her touching it once when I was younger. The memory is clear I remember I woke to the music drifting through the house. When I found the source was her I was shocked and sat there listening for what felt like hours. When she finished I asked why she didnt play more and she said she just looked at me eyes glazdd over and walked away. As I said she never touched it again nor did I broach the he subject.

Yeah i can't really sing either, but i have wrote lyrics and me and my brother have wrote some songs, but haven't performed yet or anything. Not too sure how it will go.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i like to sing, though i'm not great at it. i tried to learn how to play guitar a few years back, but the bar chords deated me (i have small hands) and really, i don't think i had an aptitude for it. that all said... i used to (and still could) DJ. I was at a house party once. it was early morning after being up all night and most everyone was starting to crash there were a pair of turntable not being used and a crate of records and i just wanted to hear some music, so i put some on and one became another, and soon i was spinning... for those who think it's just someone putting on records, no. there's an art to it. you have to pick the perfect song to follow another, match beats, sometimes overlap them for a bit; there's a lot of skill and creativity involved. so yes, i play the turntables. smile DJ Sprite in the house!

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by sprite
i like to sing, though i'm not great at it. i tried to learn how to play guitar a few years back, but the bar chords deated me (i have small hands) and really, i don't think i had an aptitude for it. that all said... i used to (and still could) DJ. I was at a house party once. it was early morning after being up all night and most everyone was starting to crash there were a pair of turntable not being used and a crate of records and i just wanted to hear some music, so i put some on and one became another, and soon i was spinning... for those who think it's just someone putting on records, no. there's an art to it. you have to pick the perfect song to follow another, match beats, sometimes overlap them for a bit; there's a lot of skill and creativity involved. so yes, i play the turntables. smile DJ Sprite in the house!

Come on, i admit i haven't tried it but it can't be that hard, definitely not as hard as an instrument.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by deftones25

Come on, i admit i haven't tried it but it can't be that hard, definitely not as hard as an instrument.

*shrugs* feel free to try it sometime and see if you can avoid sounding like a train wreck. didn't say it was as hard as an instrument, but it takes skill to do it well, and the best of the best can transcend you with a DJ set. check out Sasha and Digweeds Northern exposure series some day. it should blow your mind.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Clumeleon
0 likes
I played a little piano in high school but haven't done since. Sometimes wish I'd taken proper lessons.

I was much more comfortable treading the boards, however.

EDIT: And I ain't a terrible singer either.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by sprite

*shrugs* feel free to try it sometime and see if you can avoid sounding like a train wreck. didn't say it was as hard as an instrument, but it takes skill to do it well, and the best of the best can transcend you with a DJ set. check out Sasha and Digweeds Northern exposure series some day. it should blow your mind.

well almost everything requires skills to do it well, but in the end it is just playing songs one after another, i will check Northern Exposure out but it can not be as good as someone or a band that plays their own instruments at least i don't think so. Not hating on people that like electronic music but not my thing apart from Kraftwerk and Kavisnky really and they make most of their own stuff anyway, but music is subjective so it is all good.
Lurker
0 likes
What a good idea Nicola. I'm a classicaly trained guitarist, but haven't played that style seriously for a long time. It ended up as a springboard for Acoustic gutar and electric bass. I dabble some with an electric guitar, but I don't consider myself very good with it. I played weekly for 25 years up until the end of last year when I decided I needed a break. It'll be interesting to keep an eye on this.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've never done grades, or exams or anything, but i'm accomplished enough at guitar, bass, drums, singing etc to be the house musician at my local club (bluesey ish I guess, but also can stand rock, and alt)
Lurker
0 likes
I did a bit of piano, but then changed over to violin quite early on. Did a lot of classical music, playing in an orchestra even to the great pride of my parents. Lots of choir singing as well, and I had some singing lessons (but am not great at that at all, not my thing...).
I had to lean recorder in school but liked it quite well. Did a bit of flute but liked it less. Then I fell in love with Celtic music and all the great "music bretonne" (no idea how that would translate, sorry) and had to chance to try and lean to like the penny whistle, I have a whole collection of them and really like to play those. Started to play in a band (doing recorders and violin mainly, sometimes a little backup singing or second voices). Still do that. The level is not amazing, but it's fun. :-)
Otherwise I'm really into jazz and my greatest regret is to not have learnt anything jazzy practically. I sometimes wonder if I should start the piano again in order to try and imitate the great and amazing man of my dreams, Keith Jarret. Oh well... better listen to him...
0 likes
Where to start?

In Junior high school I started playing my first of many instruments - the trombone. It was pretty cool especially when it came to playing in the jazz band however I always wanted to play the saxophone. Once I switched schools I was able to take up the sax and played them all, from Alto, to Bass and everything in between. I had the lead Alto role in an award winning jazz band with the school and often had to double on the flute and clarinet.

I have also played the Bassoon, Tuba and percussion (which included the kettle drums, drum set, marimba and xylophone) But my biggest love was when I was marching. I started on the snare drum but quickly progressed to the tenor drums (5 drums). I was fortunate enough to make it to the "major leagues" of marching and ended my time with an amazing drum corps.

Just a little tibit of what we did.

The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

[URL=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-night-that-changed-my-life-1.aspx][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WPPsy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Lurker
0 likes
Look like folks are tossing in if they sing or not... LOL I sing.

HOWEVER, I can't play AND sing. One or the other. lol
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am studying vocal performance and play guitar, viola, piano and uke
Well Hello Mister Fancypants!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I can play a few instruments. Not all of them traditional. I'm pretty good on a set of spoons and my accordian skills are top notch!

My family is fairly musical. We've got all kinds of instruments tucked away in closets and attics.
I started with the fiddle at the age of 3 and progressed to the piano a couple of years later. (My grandfathers taught me and argued over which one was more important)
In school, I learned how to read music and played a variety of instruments. I've continued the tradition with my kids.
One of these days I'll learn to play the guitar. Along with the banjo. I always wanted to learn how to play it.
And I sing, from time to time. When invited.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Started piano lessons at the age of 5, played drums as a teenager, and taught myself guitar in my early twenties. Always played more for the fun of it than to be a pro, but I do enjoy writing the occasional song.
0 likes
Quote by TheDevilsWeakness
I can play a few instruments. Not all of them traditional. I'm pretty good on a set of spoons and my accordian skills are top notch!

My family is fairly musical. We've got all kinds of instruments tucked away in closets and attics.
I started with the fiddle at the age of 3 and progressed to the piano a couple of years later. (My grandfathers taught me and argued over which one was more important)
In school, I learned how to read music and played a variety of instruments. I've continued the tradition with my kids.
One of these days I'll learn to play the guitar. Along with the banjo. I always wanted to learn how to play it.
And I sing, from time to time. When invited.

I heard you play a mean skin flute!!
The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

[URL=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-night-that-changed-my-life-1.aspx][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WPPsy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am contemplating buying a ukelele and having a go on that young George was quite handy on one of those which I think is why Joe Brown played one at the memorial gig for George - he did I'll See You In My Dreams - very moving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGivnGv-HXs
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dudealicious

I heard you play a mean skin flute!!

I got 2 words for you...

0 likes
Unfortunately I cannot play an instrument, my brother is a fairly successful drummer and is appalled that I can't play. I can however sing, and when I drink I sing even better. biggrin
Captain Turtle
0 likes
Music student.

<-- WALKING ONE WOMAN BAND

Erm, hi. My name is Sarah, and I should probably be in Musicians Anonymous or something...

So, I started off just singing to myself, apparently when I was little, I used to sing myself to sleep...and apparently I wasn't half bad at it because my parents suggested that I join the new choir that was starting up.
And I did. I became a member there for eleven years, and an honorary one for the last two years (leaving due to attending university (studying music (oh gee music students do nothing (my fucking arse [bs] ))))

Anyhoo. I decided as a slightly less small child that the flute was pretty and shiny and made a nice sound, and so I wanted to play that. So I got lessons through my school, and my teacher was awesome, we got on really well, until she left and that became the start of a million and one teachers for a few weeks each.

Anyways, I go to high school, and they discover that I am a good singer, and they advise I get some training, so my parents dutifully put me through singing lessons, with an epic singing teacher who I am still friends with today, at the same time as my flute lessons.

Then the music service in my area says, "We need bassoonists, we can give you free lessons, free hire of the instrument etc for a year" So, me being the little music nerd that I am, says yeah sure lets do it. And does well. Just after this, I am invited to join an orchestra.

Then I hit just before college (UK college so I was 15 going on 16) and I decide that in my free periods, I am going to teach myself to play guitar on the school guitars.

Now, you may think this strange but whenever I used to watch tv as a kid I used to sit between my dads legs and he would drum along to any music he knew (my dad being a drummer) but use me as his kit, teaching me the layout of how he would have it left handed. I learned this, and being right handed, when I got the opportunity to play a kit many years later, I took to it easily.

I picked up bass easily by myself, again learning on college basses.

Then I joined a band. And played guitar, bass, drums and sang in that at varying different times.

Then music at uni...I picked up ukulele just after my 18th birthday...joined a shit load of ensembles.

I'm a vocal coach now with a society...

I can play fife, the bagpipes without the bag, djembe, im a percussionist now too...

I may not end my life rich, but I will end it happy with my accomplishments...just, I may end up editing this a little later because I know I'll forget stuff...biggrin
Insert something witty here.