Lurkers... Good or bad??

last reply
18 replies
1.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Do you find forum lurkers good for the community or bad? Please explain your response.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by BamaFan78
Do you find forum lurkers good for the community or bad? Please explain your response.

Could you please clarify what you mean by "lurker"? Do you mean somebody who just likes to read and not respond? I often do that. I think it's good for the forum, because some people like or need an audience, and here we are! The views show that. Some of us like to be quiet sometimes, and don't always need the attention or response. We just *are*.

Just because a person doesn't always respond publicly, it doesn't mean they're not taking an active part in the site. You just can't see what they're doing, where, or with whom they are doing it.

Everybody who is here, whether a signed-up member or not, is part of the community. Some give, some get, some do both. Just like real life. But with more cookies and sex. Lurkers are as valid as non-lurkers. They're just publicly quieter.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Big-haired Bitch/Personality Hire
0 likes
Quote by BamaFan78

How would they be bad for the community? Bad would mean they negatively impact it. Not everyone has something to say on a subject, or maybe someone else has already expressed their same sentiments. You can't exactly force someone to express an opinion on a subject if they don't necessarily have one or maybe just don't want to share. That kind of pressure is what's bad for the community.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Lurker
0 likes
The thing is, at one point we've all been lurkers and we're all going to be lurkers at some point again. As both Shylass and Slipperwhenwet have said, sometimes people just have nothing to say, or maybe they can't be arsed with saying anything. I think lurkers are a good thing. I lurked a lot before making my first forum post, so that I could get a 'feel' for the general idea of the forum/thread and still find myself lurking in new threads to get a feel of them. I can't see how they could be negative in any way, to be honest. Sometimes lurking can help you formulate an idea, especially in threads like the think tank, when quite often you have to bounce ideas off of each other. Tends to be if you run into some threads all willy nilly, guns blazing, it can end badly, so that's where lurking comes in handy.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
with some it is not that they don't want to say something or respond, but they are scared to. Some have also ventured out and encountered someone who made them go back to lurking.

In the 10 or so years that I have been involved in Internet communities and message boards, I have found one thing -- even people who are cordial and kind in real life can suddenly become the most vicious person on a message board. It is like the anonymity of it brings out the worst in people. Many forget there is a person on the other side of the line and the other side of the computer.

As slippery said maybe that person has no more to add. Or they are scared to ask a question because they are afraid someone will point out it is has already been asked before. It could be a variety of reasons.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I prefer to call them voyeurs instead of lurkers. If it wasn't for those quiet ones, who would the exhibitionists perform for?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Some people don't feel the need to share their opinion but like to see what others think. You'd imagine that if they had anything worth adding to the debate, they would.

The onus isn't on those who don't participate but on those who do. Yes, conflict will dissuade people from joining in the discussion, but consensus can be just as unappealing.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
To clarify on the term Lurker: Lurker is the term listed to non accounts on the forum similar to rookie scribe forum guru and such. We have all seen these lifeless post that seem to not be attached to an account.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by BamaFan78
To clarify on the term Lurker: Lurker is the term listed to non accounts on the forum similar to rookie scribe forum guru and such. We have all seen these lifeless post that seem to not be attached to an account.

What I think you're referring to is a bit of a misnomer - the vast majority of Guest postings or Lurkers are actually from people who for one reason or another have deleted their account (or had it deleted for them)

Their forum post are kept here for the sake of completeness and so that the rest of the thread continues to make some kind of sense (as much as is possible on an internet forum)
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Lurkers, Guests, Ghosts, Zombies or whatever you want to call them don't really impact the forum in a positive or negative way. I sure that most of us probably "lurked" a little, maybe reading some stories or forum posts before deciding to join. I know I did.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Lurkers don't really bother me..As Nikki said we probably all have at one time or another...I have done it as still do from time to time..Sometimes I am just not is the mood to post a comment, but doesn't mean I don't enjoy what others have to say..Sometimes I need a good laugh and I have found many in here have a great sense of humor..
Classified
0 likes
Of all our inventions for mass communication,
pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney
Lurker
0 likes
As long as they are wanking off, it's alright.
Lurker
0 likes
As long as they are wanking off, it's alright.
Lurker
0 likes
Lurkers are the one's that might become members if not upset by cretins that find them bad for a forum.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BamaFan78
Do you find forum lurkers good for the community or bad? Please explain your response. I am a right fuckin homo by the way.

Gay Boy.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by rayvonn

Gay Boy.

Arse bandit
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Just to clarify, as overmykneenow has said, the posts by "Guest" are from previous members who have either left or been banned from the site. Their posts automatically fall into the Guest bin upon account closure.

The posts remain for continuity, amusement, memorials, and for the befuddlement of those who wonder how Guest has so much time on his/her hands to be posting so much.

People may read most of the forums here, but only account holders can post.

Edit: I see we have some desiring to join Guest's ranks, perhaps...
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by rayvonn

Gay Boy.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Lurkers are great.
Lurker
0 likes
If you dont shut up I will pap this tin of turpentine over your heidBreast, usually applied in pairs.See that wee burd? She's goat some set a paps oan her
CurlyFries
0 likes
I think lurkers are good until they break bad.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
i confess to having lurked until just now. not all of us are as quick and i certainly was /am a bit timid. So i vote for lurkers!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by quite_clutzy
i confess to having lurked until just now. not all of us are as quick and i certainly was /am a bit timid. So i vote for lurkers!

Yeah, lurkers are the best!