Iphone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S4

last reply
26 replies
2.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I need a new phone and am debating between these two. ?
0 likes
Buck the trends and get a BB Z10

In all seriousness, I'm still a Blackberry fanboy and hope to be doing a trial of the Q10 (the new keyboard model) soon. My employer is a BB shop and we need to test out the new sets before our contracts end next year and we have to roll over our current fleet.

Out of those two, I'd go Samsung. I prefer Android to Apple's iOS and I dislike Apple's penchant for locking you in to their "universe". For instance, Samsung still puts a microSD slot in for easy expansion while Apple makes you replace your phone if you need more storage. Samsung uses a USB connector while Apple has a proprietary port. However, I do find the S4 to be a bit on the big side for a phone. Personally, I'd be looking at the HTC One or another slightly smaller Android handset.
Lurker
0 likes
love my galaxy s4
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have the S3 and love it and I hear the S4 is amazing. But I have a friend who just got the iPhone 5 and says it is great and so fast when using the internet. Her iPhone 5 looked kind of bulky although they all seem to be getting bigger and bigger.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Absolutely love my iPhone 5.
Lurker
0 likes
I just got the Samsung S4 Active! Its waterproof and dust proof, it is a little thicker but as I am prone to destroying my phones I thought I would give this one a go. so far it seems pretty slick as well.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Samsung

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Mazztastic
0 likes
I have an iPhone 4S and I love it - I'd recommend the iPhone (I'll upgrade to the 5 at some point)
Lurker
0 likes
Never owned an I phone so yeah. I have the S3 and people think its an iphone haha. I love galaxys line tho. One thing I will say from what I have seen the battery life for I phones are awesome in comparison to android based phones.
Lurker
0 likes
I have the Samsung Galaxy SII. I did have the option of getting the newer models but i loved how big the screen was. Very easy to type. Only downfall is it sucks the battery like you wouldn't believe!
Lurker
0 likes
Wait a short while. In 2 weeks or whatever the iPhone 5S will be out and then you can decide between S4 and 5S smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Nokia ....

I have seen too many shattered phone screens. I'm sorry S4 owners.
“Everything in the world is about sex except sex. Sex is about power.”
― Oscar Wilde
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I have a Nokia too and I love it and wouldn't swap it for ethier, but of these two the S4 is clearly the way to go. Iphone 5 will be replaced very soon and you don't want to be one of those apple people who bought one just for it to be replaced
Lurker
0 likes
i have a 5 for work and an android for personal. there are so many more free apps on the droid phones.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703
I have the S3 and love it and I hear the S4 is amazing. But I have a friend who just got the iPhone 5 and says it is great and so fast when using the internet. Her iPhone 5 looked kind of bulky although they all seem to be getting bigger and bigger.

The cases can be bulky but the phone itself isn't that bad. You can't get updates for the 3 series anymore. They are coming out with 2 new versions of the 5s. One is slower than the other.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by MsHorselover93
I have the Samsung Galaxy SII. I did have the option of getting the newer models but i loved how big the screen was. Very easy to type. Only downfall is it sucks the battery like you wouldn't believe!

Huh? The S4 screen is bigger than the S2
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by mentalcase
I need a new phone and am debating between these two. ?

It depends, what are you doing with it?

This is something I never thought mattered when it came to phones, but it does these days - in the smart phone market. All phones text and do the basics. I wanted (needed) to be able to access text files that were in progress with a mini-sd drive.

I assumed this was standard among all smart phones but it's not. Buying an iPhone (4) forced me to go to the cloud, icloud does not handle text files, it only handles pics and vids. The cloud in general is unreliable and tedious and didn't help me at all when I had hundreds of text files to access and they were all on my thumb drive and I was in some place like New York State.

I struggled for a while, but my iPhone was irritating at the least. I ended up having to use smart-drive, a cloud-based server, and then copy-paste files into Office(2) to edit text, and reverse the tedious process, and upload against to sync - which didn't always happen like it was supposed to.

On top of that, when I bought my iPhone 4 I didn't have a cloud account, so I used my husband's - and I still can't get his account off of my phone, so some of my installed apps still require his info to update or delete.

Further, being forced to use iTunes to transfer everything between computer/phone is difficult, not easy, not user friendly, and not helpful.

What is on your home screen (programs/apps) is not up to you. Some apps that come on the phone - which you may never use - are not 'uninstallable' - you are stuck with the app and the app-emblem even if you never touch it a day in your phone's life. My side-pages are cluttered with junk I don't use, and can't get rid of.

I bought a tablet pc (Samsung Galaxy 7") to compensate for what the iPhone 4 cannot do (which is everything I need it to do). I don't imagine the iPhone 5 comes without these issues. They probably contrived numerous other ways to irritate consumers by making decisions for you as for settings that you cannot turn off, apps and programs you cannot delete. For example: I don't need or want my pictures and videos to be tracked in a GPS map, but I cannot turn the feature off.

Odds are, for the iPhone: all apps you do need will cost you more than through other app stores, if there is even an equivalent that works for you.

So, research, consider all you will demand from it, and look and see if it is worth the money you'll spend on it when, perhaps, the other equivalent costs less and does the same (actually, it might do more).

I regret spending full price for my iPhone 4 - it's a POS. . . don't go into such a hefty decision without thinking (like I did).
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by urbancoyote

Huh? The S4 screen is bigger than the S2

I don't think the S4 was out at that point :P I got it last November smile
0 likes
I'm going to rescind my previous post. Blackberry, the company, is looking even more precarious than ever as much as I hate to say it as one who loves the product. If they are sold, I'm betting it will be to another phone builder who will be after their infrastructure (BB Messenger, their mail system, etc.) rather than the handsets and OS. So, still a good phone but longterm support becomes iffy if the company is sold or changes direction in a major way. Just look at how they orphaned the Playbook tab.

I'd still go Android over Apple, so an S4 rather than either the 5C or 5S, the new iPhones that were just unveiled. I'll be interested to see if Xiaomi, the Chinese phone & smart TV builder who just scooped a major Android exec from Google, starts selling here. They build fairly well-spec'd phones running their own software on an Android base that are inexpensive relative to phones like the iPhone and Galaxy.
Lurker
0 likes
There is also the Sony Z1, it rocks a 20 Mega pixel camera, good build quality and runs Android.

I am starting to get a little concerned with the amount of the Telecoms market that the Chinese are moving into, although I am not on my own. The Australian government have told Huawei not to bother bidding for the upcoming large infrastructure internet build out there. There is also concern that the United Kingdoms Cyber Security Evaluation Centre is being run by the same company, and once Parliament find out they have opened an inquiry into this.

Or it could just be me lol
Lurker
0 likes
I have had both types in the past. Samsung yes is great in the flexibility of micro SD cards and Android system, but had nothing but hassle and trouble with the battery. Apple have a slick well designed product, if you go with the max memory version you won't have an issue.

personally I went for a Nokia this time around, windows platform, expandable memory and slick design. Time will tell me what the flaws are.

All phones have their pros, cons and gimmicks I say if you use a Mac an iPhone is a good choice as it will streamline your technology well. Besides that past the aesthetics they are all good phones,made by cheap labour in poor conditions.

Happy shopping.
Lurker
0 likes
iPhone 5
0 likes
Quote by madbadpenguin
There is also the Sony Z1, it rocks a 20 Mega pixel camera, good build quality and runs Android.

I am starting to get a little concerned with the amount of the Telecoms market that the Chinese are moving into, although I am not on my own. The Australian government have told Huawei not to bother bidding for the upcoming large infrastructure internet build out there. There is also concern that the United Kingdoms Cyber Security Evaluation Centre is being run by the same company, and once Parliament find out they have opened an inquiry into this.

Or it could just be me lol

If Huawei or Xiaomi had a good phone at my price point, the fact that they are Chinese wouldn't be an issue. Then again, my wife is Chinese which may skew my views on this issue.
Lurker
0 likes
s4 active - water resistant.