Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

How long have you been fooled by a false identity?

last reply
59 replies
3.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Senior Analyst
0 likes
I met someone here on Lush and was completely convinced that I was speaking with a real person whose profile was truthful and honest. We had, I thought, a sincere friendship with a genuine intimacy. It took me nine (9!) solid months of almost daily conversations to discover that the person was a fake.

What's the longest you've been fooled by a faker here?
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
It doesn't happen to me here much, because I reverse-image search everyone's pics whom I friend (or potentially friend), so I know who's using fake pics and who isn't. If someone has no pics, or uses pics they got off the net, I don't invest much in the friendship. Everyone who's socially active online should learn how to reverse-image search using multiple image engines, and also learn how to look for other clues of deception so they don't get taken in so often. I've been the senior-admin on another social site for over 5 years, and we screen members carefully so there aren't many fakes on our site, but most social networks are looking for numbers, not authenticity. So fakes abound. To quote a line from 'Casablanca': "Vultures! Vultures everywhere!"
Big-haired Bitch/Personality Hire
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
It doesn't happen to me here much, because I reverse-image search everyone's pics whom I friend (or potentially friend), so I know who's using fake pics and who isn't. If someone has no pics, or uses pics they got off the net, I don't invest much in the friendship. Everyone who's socially active online should learn how to reverse-image search using multiple image engines, and also learn how to look for other clues of deception so they don't get taken in so often. I've been the senior-admin on another social site for over 5 years, and we screen members carefully so there aren't many fakes on our site, but most social networks are looking for numbers, not authenticity. So fakes abound. To quote a line from 'Casablanca': "Vultures! Vultures everywhere!"

Reverse image searching is not always a sure thing.

Some people are also good (or not so good) with Photoshop. So they can place their heads on anyone's body and/or choose any background, creating a unique image that won't be found using a reverse image search. Just because you can't find someone's pictures online doesn't mean they're in the clear.

It gets quite convoluted and can be exhausting to keep track of. That's why I don't bother unless it's so obvious that someone's basically insulting my intelligence.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

The Linebacker
0 likes
I dare say that very few people, much less than 10%, use their real picture or name on Lush. For most that could be disastrous for their jobs, careers and family. And really, you can know a person's real name and real face, but that doesn't stop them from being a 'fake'.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
I am Jack's cold sweat.

I am Jack's erection.

I am Jack's lush account.
Lurker
0 likes
A false identity is common on the social media but cracks appear when words turn to shame. Unfortunately there are those who fool only themselves when their lies come home to roost.
Lady GlitterGiggles
0 likes
Quote by Porgy87
I met someone here on Lush and was completely convinced that I was speaking with a real person whose profile was truthful and honest. We had, I thought, a sincere friendship with a genuine intimacy. It took me nine (9!) solid months of almost daily conversations to discover that the person was a fake.

What's the longest you've been fooled by a faker here?

I just puked. How long have I been here? And are you serious. I need to go get sick again.
are you alright? I know that sounds stupid coming from someone you don't know but I am sorry. This is really really a sad thing and I am sorry it happened to you.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Everyone still thinks i'm a human girl and not a cat. *snickers* mew.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Quote by Dani

Some people are also good (or not so good) with Photoshop. So they can place their heads on anyone's body and/or choose any background, creating a unique image that won't be found using a reverse image search. Just because you can't find someone's pictures online doesn't mean they're in the clear.

It gets quite convoluted and can be exhausting to keep track of. That's why I don't bother unless it's so obvious that someone's basically insulting my intelligence.

Nothing is a sure thing, but you're playing the numbers game here... at least 80% of fakes online are either too lazy or don't know how to PS, and use pics that are easily traceable online, and even borrowed backgrounds are traceable if enough of the image is preserved. Some reverse-image search engine are apps you can incorporate into your browser, so a simple search is only a right-click away. Image search is just one of several techniques we use on our site to spot fakes. Most of you don't have server-access to trace IP addresses, so RIS is a technique anyone can use.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Quote by sprite
Everyone still thinks i'm a human girl and not a cat. *snickers* mew.

I knew! Woof! (I'm actually one of the dogs in my avatar!)
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
Nothing is a sure thing, but you're playing the numbers game here... at least 80% of fakes online are either too lazy or don't know how to PS, and use pics that are easily traceable online, and even borrowed backgrounds are traceable if enough of the image is preserved. Some reverse-image search engine are apps you can incorporate into your browser, so a simple search is only a right-click away. Image search is just one of several techniques we use on our site to spot fakes. Most of you don't have server-access to trace IP addresses, so RIS is a technique anyone can use.

I never said it was impossible, just exhausting. And speaking for myself, I'm just not invested enough (and that's coming from someone who used to have the biggest pitchfork and brightest torch when it came to exposing people like this).

If someone's that determined to pretend to be attractive and alluring online, I won't be the one to keep them from it. I will laugh my ass off behind the scenes, though. I don't think there's anything that makes me laugh harder on this site than seeing people bask in the awe of someone they're not. 'Bow down and drool before my amazing Photoshop skills!' That shit's hilarious.

But I digress.

It's a hard lesson to learn, but everyone isn't always who they appear/claim to be online. Does that mean I go around picking apart strangers' pictures? No, I've better things to do.

Unfortunately, many people don't have the forethought to do their research beforehand, so they can get hurt. And unless you have access to the most sophisticated reverse image search tools, just a bit of tweaking can conceal your fake identity indefinitely.

If/when the truth does come out, the heartbreak is very real. And I'm sorry that's something you had to go through, Porgy87. It sucks, and I'm not really sure what else to say about it. It's not something I'd wish on my worst enemy. But you definitely have my sympathy.

Having a bit of fun is one thing, but deceiving people and playing with real emotions is another thing entirely. No one deserves that.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
As someone already stated, most people here don't use their real pictures as their avatars and many that do, don't show you enough of themselves to be identified. Not sure why it is even a big deal. Of course people are going to want some sort of privacy, especially on a site like this. And yes, my avatar is not me and never will be me. I just picked it because I liked the guys clothing style. I may switch it out in the future to some other image that may represent something I like or trait in my personality.

However, just because my avatar is not me, that doesn't mean you cant get to know the real me. The real me is not a picture, it is my personality and interests. The things I say and express here, are the real me. In fact, if we become friends, you may get to know more about me than people who know me in person, because the anonymity allows me to be more open about my real thoughts and feelings. Not to say, I wouldn't ever consider sharing my real picture with an online friend if that was important to them. I have before and I would again, but I would have to feel a connection and certainly trust them, especially since I probably tell them more than some of my in person friends.

In our daily lives, where people see your real face, I am sure most of us wear some type of virtual mask, so to speak, at least to those who are not our family or friends. So seeing the real face, doesn't mean they know the real you either.

On Lush, my mask is my avatar. The rest is me.

In my in-person life, my face is real, but the rest is some sort of mask of various degrees. Many people get to know a little about me, but I am guarded to only let a select few to get to know a lot about the real me.

But to answer the original question, I was fooled once in talking to what I thought was a girl and it turned out to be a guy. Although I don't mind people using fake pictures, I do like to know your gender and personality is not fake.

*Note - This was slightly edited for a typo and one line slightly altered for clarity*
0 likes
Quote by TheQuiet1

As someone already stated, most people here don't use their real pictures as their avatars and many that do, don't show you enough of themselves to be identified. Not sure why it is even a big deal. Of course people are going to want some sort of privacy, especially on a site like this. And yes, my avatar is not me and never will be me. I just picked it because I liked the guys clothing style. I may switch it out in the future to some other image that may represent something I like or trait in my personality.

However, just because my avatar is not me, that doesn't mean you cant get to know the real me. The real me is not a picture, it is my personality and interests. The things I say and express here, are the real me. In fact, if we become friends, you may get to know more about me than people who know me in person, because the anonymity allows me to be more open about my real thoughts and feelings. Not to say, I wouldn't ever consider sharing my real picture with an online friend if that was important to them. I have before and I would again, but I would have to feel a connection and certainly trust them, especially since I probably tell them more than some of my in person friends.

In our daily lives, where people see your real face, I am sure most of us were some type of virtual mask, so to speak, at last to those who are not our family or friends. So seeing the real face, doesn't mean they know the real you either.

In my in person life, my face is real, and many people get to know a little about me, but I am guarded to only let a select few to get to know a lot about the real me.

But to answer the original question, I was fooled once in talking to what I thought was a girl and it turned out to be a guy. Although I don't mind people using fake pictures, I do like to know your gender and personality is not fake.

Perfectly stated.

Senior Analyst
0 likes
Quote by Dani

If/when the truth does come out, the heartbreak is very real. And I'm sorry that's something you had to go through, Porgy87. It sucks, and I'm not really sure what else to say about it. It's not something I'd wish on my worst enemy. But you definitely have my sympathy.

Having a bit of fun is one thing, but deceiving people and playing with real emotions is another thing entirely. No one deserves that.

To be fair, I felt more sadness and disappointment than anger when I decided that I had been hustled. In a very real sense, all that happened is that some electrons got moved around and a bunch of LEDs got lit up; there was no exchange of bodily fluids. I'm all right.

BTW, Dani, you adorable big-haired bitch, you, I am 100% dead solid certain that you are genuine. No one could possibly make up a persona as interesting as you!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Porgy87

To be fair, I felt more sadness and disappointment than anger when I decided that I had been hustled. In a very real sense, all that happened is that some electrons got moved around and a bunch of LEDs got lit up; there was no exchange of bodily fluids. I'm all right.

BTW, Dani, you adorable big-haired bitch, you, I am 100% dead solid certain that you are genuine. No one could possibly make up a persona as interesting as you!

it's a wig. *nods knowingly*

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by Dani

Perfectly stated.

When Dani first joined the site. she sent me a picture of Kelly Price trying to play it off like it was her lol. I called that shit right out.
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Everyone always picks on the defenseless one.

Senior Analyst
0 likes
Quote by TheQuiet1

In our daily lives, where people see your real face, I am sure most of us were some type of virtual mask, so to speak, at least to those who are not our family or friends. So seeing the real face, doesn't mean they know the real you either.

In my in-person life, my face is real, and many people get to know a little about me, but I am guarded to only let a select few to get to know a lot about the real me.

You capture the ideal well. FWIW, I did use a picture of my real self as an avatar for a few days, but a friend said, more or less, "Ew!" So I found a nice torso that would be me if it was 20 years ago and I was in better shape. All the text in my profile is true, though. (Maybe not. I might be 5'6", but that's in my doctor's office. I do weigh exactly 156 pounds.)
Senior Analyst
0 likes
Quote by Dani

Everyone always picks on the defenseless one.

Ah hahahahahahaha!!!! "Defenseless"!!!! Hahahahaha [choking] hahahahaha!!!!
Oh, Dani, you kill me!!!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was once deceived about a person's gender for 7 years.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by Dancewithme
I was once deceived about a person's gender for 7 years.

Holy shit... That's pretty impressive really.
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
this has happened to me. but not in the way stated by the OP. last year i was deceived by someone with multiple profiles. this depraved individual friended me as a male...but chatted me up in the rooms as a female. due to a series of mishaps, i was able to put the puzzle together. luckily, this was not someone that i had invested time in, so i didn't feel the hurt that you did.

there are ppl here who are playing a VERY dangerous game. they use the excuse that this is just a 'fantasy' in order to manipulate the hearts and minds of trusting individuals. i have NO problem with ppl using fake avatars, or not posting pictures of themselves. i TOTALLY understand that. what i DO have a problem with are ppl who create fake identities.

porgy87, i'm sorry that this happened to you. it hurts when you discover that someone you cared for is basically a figment of your imagination. it causes you to question every interaction that you've had and you become mistrusting of future encounters.

tread carefully friends.

Say. Her. Name.

Senior Analyst
0 likes
Quote by sprite

Troublemaker. I think I love you. Are you really Rapunzel?
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Dani

Quote by Buz
I dare say that very few people, much less than 10%, use their real picture or name on Lush. For most that could be disastrous for their jobs, careers and family. And really, you can know a person's real name and real face, but that doesn't stop them from being a 'fake'.

This. I know as a fact that public profiles on Bodybuilding.com won't return any result when their pictures are reverse-searched with Google, so anybody could simply spot a hot member there and use their pictures as their own; and plenty of other websites are also similar, depending on how the pictures are embedded (Instagram is another example I believe). You could also slightly modify the pictures (eg. mirroring and/or cropping them), just to be 100% sure that they won't show up in a reverse-search.

I once took a sample of around 25 'hot people' on Lush and reverse-searched their pictures just for fun (which is as easy as a simple click with the proper plugins installed on your browser): nearly 20 of them were obviously fake, and it's very likely that a great proportion of the others were fake too (but simply more clever/lucky). The mere 10% figure proposed by Buz does seem fairly accurate to me, at least for those 'too good to be true' profiles where attractive people reveal just about everything about themselves and show plenty of explicit pictures. Honestly, why would a gorgeous vulnerable girl insistently expose her entire life on the internut anyway? Wouldn't she at least want to conceal her face and her name? Generally speaking, the more people publicly reveal about themselves, the less I tend to trust them as being legitimate.

And also, using fake pictures is just one of the many ways one could possibly bullshit others: bullshitting about your job, personal situation, past experiences or overall lifestyle is very possible too, for the very same reasons that people use fake pictures. It's simply a whole lot easier to identify who's definitely fake when plenty of people use false pictures in such an obvious way. But 'deceit' still comes in many different shades, lying is extremely easy on the internet.

I take everything here with a grain of salt and I've never had any serious expectations with people (I only cybered casually with one girl just to see what the fuss was about), but I've been tricked myself too for about 2 weeks. I was already engaged with my girlfriend so my cyber-relationship with that particular girl was purely friendly (she even mentioned 'no cybering' on her profile, which actually appealed me), but it still certainly sucks when you realize that you've been investing a considerable amount of your time with a fake person.

To make a long story short, I interacted with that girl almost daily for about 2 weeks until she played the "I just received a cancer diagnosis and will be closing my account here" card. This made me doubtful about her whole identity and I decided to investigate her pictures much more thoroughly (she only had 3 of them, all private and fully clothed). I only performed that rapidly before, and everything seemed fine. After a much more meticulous search, I finally stumbled across the Instagram profile of the girl shown in the pictures: that specific girl was actually on a cruise in the Caribbeans, posting plenty of happy pictures where she was having a tremendously fun time with her friends. Pretty fucking incongruous of a girl who just received a cancer diagnosis, haha.

She actually closed her account before I could confront her with those facts; honestly though, I'm not even sure I would have confronted her about it all, I probably would have just let her go anyway. My take on it is that she just couldn't 'live the lie' with me anymore, and decided to leave for good; I was pretty much the only serious friend that she made during her 2-3 weeks on Lush, by the way. In her defense, I'm actually the one who originally sent her a request despite the fact that I state rather explicitly on my profile that I don't want to deal with fake people. She likely felt very bad about that whole situation and opted for a way out.

Oddly enough, I'll still admit that I had some of the most interesting, funny, entertaining conversations with that particular girl; and I still call her a 'girl' because my instincts still tell me that she was indeed a young female. I still don't get a 'creepy' vibe from her at all, more like a girl who carelessly used fake pictures without thinking about the consequences; I actually wouldn't be surprised if her pictures were the only thing that she lied about. But when you've been lied to that way (especially her whole cancer story), it's extremely difficult to trust someone any longer concerning further information that they'll reveal about themselves. And sadly, when someone that you firmly believed to be authentic betrayed you that way, it also makes you a lot less enthusiastic to bond with other people or to invest any kind of substantial effort in further online friendships.

I guess that minor incident just reinforced my whole position about the frail nature of online interactions. If I'm having fun with someone and learning from them in any way, that's all I can vouch for: I don't expect anything more from them and I'm well aware that I could be deceived at any moment. And frankly, considering that faking who you are is such a commonplace on the internet, I couldn't exactly blame others for being a little suspicious about me either.
Normal Adjacent
0 likes
Such is the nature of online friendships. I'm still not sure what the OP meant about being fooled. I just assume most people are not using their real names and identities at first. Later if things progress maybe we'll share information that is factual. Was there nothing real at all about the person? I'm assuming it wasn't a robot, just that the information they gave you was false. It's sad but it happens a lot. I know I am way too trusting at times. I do have actual photos of myself that I show on my profile. Sadly, I have removed some over time. Trusting someone in a strictly online relationship is always going to be fraught with difficulties. There are times that I thought it wasn't worth trying to make friends that way. I'm not a quitter though, so I kept at it and have found some real friends here. Sorry to say though that the path to getting there is littered with fake and sometimes mean and cruel people. In the meantime, I'll always be an optimist and hope that the good people outweigh the bad.
Senior Analyst
0 likes
Quote by Gillianleeeza
Such is the nature of online friendships. I'm still not sure what the OP meant about being fooled...Was there nothing real at all about the person?...

Since you ask, I'm reasonably sure the person I was talking to was a woman in her 40s -- I'd put the chance of that at about two to one in favor. Everything else she told me has become questionable. l was credulous; I wanted to believe what I was told. Now I know better.
Fancy Schmancy
0 likes
Quote by Gillianleeeza
Such is the nature of online friendships. I'm still not sure what the OP meant about being fooled. I just assume most people are not using their real names and identities at first. Later if things progress maybe we'll share information that is factual. Was there nothing real at all about the person? I'm assuming it wasn't a robot, just that the information they gave you was false. It's sad but it happens a lot. I know I am way too trusting at times. I do have actual photos of myself that I show on my profile. Sadly, I have removed some over time. Trusting someone in a strictly online relationship is always going to be fraught with difficulties. There are times that I thought it wasn't worth trying to make friends that way. I'm not a quitter though, so I kept at it and have found some real friends here. Sorry to say though that the path to getting there is littered with fake and sometimes mean and cruel people. In the meantime, I'll always be an optimist and hope that the good people outweigh the bad.

This is such an interesting, and sad thread, as well. I have always been cautious in what information I give out online, and I still manage to enjoy myself and have had no real disasters. Perhaps I have just been really lucky. I don't have any expectations when it comes to online interactions, yet I have met several people online who have become good friends in real life over the years. It still does not stop me from being careful. I like to think of online as a fun addition to real life, not a substitute. On occasion, I have been caught up in drama, which is minor in comparison to some stories I have heard, and I have found it really useful just to get away from the computer. Online crap becomes so much less meaningful when you are not sitting in front of the computer.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Sad to say people do not understand that while lush is a fantasy world it does maintain some reality and the reality being we are caring human beings behind the screen.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I guess I've been really lucky. I've now met 5 women from Lush and all have been the real thing. Most of them had almost no pics online but were essentially what and who they said they were.

No doubt I've probably been fooled by some I haven't met but I'll probably never know. Since I'm not 'looking for love' here there really isn't much chance of getting my feelings hurt.

My only pic on here is my avatar but it's really me. If you find the picture somewhere else they stole it from me not me from them. LOL
Great minds think alike but dirty minds work together.... ;)
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
I think it's only been the once, and probably for about 2-3 weeks.

I normally lurk on the forums, and don't talk to anybody, but now and again, I get a message. Once, I got one from a bloke who said he'd loved my stuff and wanted to get to know me as a person. He was pretty persistent, despite my claiming to be anti-social (I just don't like people, okay?).

Eventually, I gave in and let him have my email address, as I refuse to use the chat boxes on here, as my Shiny doesn't like them, and I can't always respond straight away.

His behaviour became really quite aggressive, wanting to know about me and my likes/dislikes. Eventually (after asking friends if it was just me being paranoid), I called him on that behaviour, and he went bonkers. I knew for sure he was no good, and up to something. A week or so later, he got in touch and gave me a sob story about being stuck in a foreign country with a team of workers, and no money for food...

He got nuked off here, and blocked on my account.

What a bell-end.

And that's why I don't like people. You never know what they'll turn into...

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************