Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Highway "service centres"

last reply
10 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
I have a question that maybe some other Lushies can help with. I am working out a new story based on my recent 8-ish hour drive home from taking my son back to his university. Our major highway in Ontario is the 401, which runs from the Quebec border at its Eastern end to the US border between Windsor and Detroit at its Western end. Along 401, there are they now call "OnRoute" service centers. These are basically right on the side of the highway with a simple ramp to get in and out and have washrooms, gas, fast food, and (nowadays) wi-fi for people on long drives who need a break of one form or another. We stopped at three on the way home yesterday, two for "pit stops" and one for lunch.

Do people generally understand "service center" as meaning something like this? Or are there are other terms used? How familiar are people with the concept? I know there weren't any on I-75 when I came back from Tennessee but there are on the New York State Thruway which the Thruway website calls "service areas". Basically, how much do I need to explain the concept or is there some more or less universally recognized term I can use that will save me explaining?
I think "highway service centre" would work for most, I have a vague recollection of a slang term used in the UK but it escapes me at the moment. I imagine the story will fill in any blanks. smile I've seen the term "service area" used in multiple US states and also "welcome centre"
I guess l've just always heard them called 'rest stops'. I've seen them advertised as 'welcome center' when you cross over a state line. Those have restrooms, drinking fountains, a tourist brochure rack and maps, and sometimes vending machines for sodas and snacks.
Travel Center is another common brand name for large centers that have everything from gas, to restaurants, restrooms and convenience store.

I just published a new story, https://www.lushstories.com/stories/flash-erotica/pussy-time-2 It's a Flash with a humorous twist and, of course, hot sex. So quick, fun read. Hope you enjoy!

Then there's https://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/naked-and-afraid A wife is home alone when two criminals break in to rob her. She's afraid and that's when it gets interesting A super story full of great sex, with a BDSM slant, that will hold your interest.

If you enjoy either, please comment. My ego needs a boost, ha! Thanks.

I did my undergrad at Windsor once upon a time. Had a great time there, and I guess an education, too.

Rest areas seem to be more like a parking lot, a few trees, and and a public restroom... maybe some vending machines and park benches if you're lucky. Service centers (at least in my opinion) offer more amenities.

Don't believe everything that you read.

Quote by LYFBUZ
I think "highway service centre" would work for most, I have a vague recollection of a slang term used in the UK but it escapes me at the moment.

is it service station? it's not exactly slang but that's what i've always known them as. petrol stations are the regular ones and then if they're on a motorway, it's a service station. just services? service stop?
Quote by browncoffee

is it service station? it's not exactly slang but that's what i've always known them as. petrol stations are the regular ones and then if they're on a motorway, it's a service station. just services? service stop?

Yeah, I'd just call them 'services' or maybe 'motorway services'. Long live Little Chef, lol.

Although we don't necessarily use 'rest stop' I'd say it's pretty universal. 'Service centre' sounds more like a call center to me.
I've often seen the term Travel Plaza.
In Illinois (along the tollway) they are called TollWay Oasis.
Yes, in the Uk we call them "services". As in "Let's stop at the services and get a coffee".
You should first read this Looky Here!!

and then this Free stuff

then say 'Hi'
Quote by Just_A_Guy_You_Know
I did my undergrad at Windsor once upon a time. Had a great time there, and I guess an education, too.

We visited Windsor when Seeker, Jr. was university hunting but it was definitely a school of last resort for him and he didn't even apply in the end.

Thanks to all for your input. Sounds like the concept is widely used but under a variety of names. I think I'll just make sure it's clear what I'm talking about and not worry too much about the name used. The story is on backburner for the moment anyhow as I wrack my brains to come up with a good comp entry.
Quote by seeker4

We visited Windsor when Seeker, Jr. was university hunting but it was definitely a school of last resort for him and he didn't even apply in the end.

Thanks to all for your input. Sounds like the concept is widely used but under a variety of names. I think I'll just make sure it's clear what I'm talking about and not worry too much about the name used. The story is on backburner for the moment anyhow as I wrack my brains to come up with a good comp entry.

Glad to have been of service
You should first read this Looky Here!!

and then this Free stuff

then say 'Hi'