Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

For our UK and UK-influeneced members, a cultural question.

last reply
37 replies
3.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
Earlier today I was in the office cafeteria to get a fresh cup of coffee, and I ran into a colleague from India. He and I have encountered each other there on many occasions to renew our preferred (day-time) beverages. While I am typically brewing a fresh pot of coffee, he will be steeping some tea. Today I jokingly asked if it was tea time, and he laughed and said it in fact was. Apparently 3:15 is the standard time for tea? So that got my cultural curiosity going, and since we have such a large number of members from the UK , or at the very least UK-influenced countries, I thought I would ask:

How many of you still observe tea time, and if you do, how do you typically participate?
"I can resist everything except temptation." - Oscar Wilde
Lurker
Good question.
Lurker
Nah good ol' cup of tea will do me any time of the day!!

Although i do think once upon a time there was 'afternoon tea' around 3/4 o'clock consisting of tea and cakes and other English things
Lurker
And then my next question would be, any brand? Or do you have a favorite?
Matriarch
Twinnngs Earl Grey for me please. I usually have one first thing in the morning, and then one mid afternoon, depending on my mood.

I don't follow any set pattern other than that loose one. I think afternoon tea and scones is more or less a thing of the past, unless you're 70+ years old and wear floral dresses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_(meal)#United_Kingdom
Active Ink Slinger
I have not drunk Tea for about 20 years but i am partial to the occasional cup (large mug) of coffee, i usually drink between 6 and 8 large mugs of black strong filtered coffee a day, but at around 3' o'clock every day the guy i got working for me say's "Tea time, ill put the kettle on".
So a lot of people i belive still have "afternoon tea" or a bit of tiffin, or some tea and crumpets.
coffee drinkers rule
Active Ink Slinger
It also depends what part of the UK you're in, tea time is another way of saying dinner time in some areas. Afternoon tea only really happens with ladies of a certain age these days or at established tea houses. We drink tea as often as you guys drink coffee, constantly.
Lurker
Quote by nicola
Twinnngs Earl Grey for me please. I usually have one first thing in the morning, and then one mid afternoon, depending on my mood.

I don't follow any set pattern other than that loose one. I think afternoon tea and scones is more or less a thing of the past, unless you're 70+ years old and wear floral dresses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_(meal)#United_Kingdom

I am a Bigelow Earl Grey woman. I drink it all day!
Lurker
Quote by rougerogue
It also depends what part of the UK you're in, tea time is another way of saying dinner time in some areas. Afternoon tea only really happens with ladies of a certain age these days or at established tea houses. We drink tea as often as you guys drink coffee, constantly.

Tis true, its pretty much the law!!!

Quote by chefkathleen
And then my next question would be, any brand? Or do you have a favorite?

For me its gotta be PG Tips or Tetley, proper builders tea, cant stand Twinnings!
Lurker
Back in 1998, I was on a trip to England and I was staying at The Bull Hotel in Gerrards Cross. I was relaxing out on the patio on a Sunday afternoon when suddenly, dozens of people came out and the serving staff were busy serving refreshments. I asked what was going on and they said it was tea time! I shared my table with a nice family of 3 generations.
Lurker
Ok, crumpets. Does the UK still eat those? Original question still stands, too.
Active Ink Slinger
YES WE DO STILL HAVE CRUMPETS, LOVELY TOASTED WITH BUTTER AND JAM MMMMMM!
WORKING IN AN OFFICE, WE HAVE COFFEE OR TEA WHENEVER SOMEONE IS MAKING ONE, HALF 3 IS THE LATEST WE DO, ANY LATER THAN THAT AND ILL BE UP ALL NIGHT!
Active Ink Slinger
Whilst far from being too ritualistic, I still have to have my cup of tea between 3 & 3.30pm - no scones nor strawberries, although, as a family, we will occasionally dress up and visit a traditional tea room. Such fun.

Whilst I love the odd cup of Earl Grey, I've settled on M&S's Extra Strong blend as my preferred cuppa. Crumpet is kinda hard to get where I live at the moment, but I always make sure I get more than my fair share on my trips to England
"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw
Lurker
Quote by roccotool
Ok, crumpets. Does the UK still eat those? Original question still stands, too.

hell yeah slathered with margerine dripping hot and a cup of tea or coffee to go with...
Lurker
We have on the days when I'm not running around like a mad person at work a group of colleagues and I do tea@3...were we meander over to the canteen to get a nice cup of tea(or coffee in my case) and just talk bullshit and relax
Active Ink Slinger
Hmmm, Don't know what's happening in Blighty (England) these days but here in the colonies (Australia) 'Tea Time' is still 4pm sharp.

On special days, I get out my Wedgwood Patrician tea service, polish my silver and we sit down to tea - usually Earl Grey without milk or sugar but with a delicious slice of orange poppyseed cake. It is one of life's little pleasures..............

"Rule Britannia, Britannia rules the waves............."

- Piquet.
Active Ink Slinger
tea >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> coffee

Having been around coffee addicts so long I am very happy I ditched the coffee drinking.

Indeed, anytime is good time for tea.
Insert typical super smart ass comment courtesy of thepainter here.
Active Ink Slinger
Yes, I do love coffee. Espresso straight from the stovetop with a dash of warm milk drunk with hot buttered croissants. Turkish coffee, bitter with a finger of baklava and a cold glass of water. Both make for a perfect Mediterranean style breakfast or afternoon coffee break.

"Instant" coffee does not deserve the title of coffee and should only be drunk by penniless teens who have run out of Mother or Red Bull - they do so at their peril..
Lurker
Whenever I drink tea it's Earl Grey. Unless I'm in a Chinese restaurant. I knew a little old Scottish lady that made the best scones ever.5P4isPqgIa8iE97s
Active Ink Slinger
Had a boss from London for years I took a cup of tea to at 3:00pm most days it was just lipton what the office had but he thought it was funny that Americans dunked the tea bag he stirred it, sugar no cream. It was a great excuse to sneak off to his office and be naughty!
Bunny12

Bunny Rabbits cute and fuzzy they want to love you but they have razor sharp teeth - don't piss them off!
Active Ink Slinger
oops double post! sorry
Bunny12

Bunny Rabbits cute and fuzzy they want to love you but they have razor sharp teeth - don't piss them off!
Story Verifier
It's all about the Coffeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.. I honestly never knew there was a set time for tea.. but you can guarantee... like planned sex.. that you wont want it at that time... Oh wait.. this is me... erm.. surprised)
A Professional Writer is an amateur who didn't quit"
Active Ink Slinger
For me it’s a Battenberg cake and a cuppa around the time of 2.45 - 3.15pm.

Tradition is hard to break, I love my Tetley tea bags. Makes for a great brew….

*The Dark Room*

How do you talk to an Angel available from Amazon.
Lurker
Nice new av Smiler. Before long you just might crack one.
Rookie Scribe
Anytime is tea time and mines a scottish blend thank you very much
Active Ink Slinger
Please, please stop, no more cake and crumpet talk i'm on a diet !!!!!
Lurker
You don't need to diet Head. You look fine the way you are.
Active Ink Slinger
Quote by chefkathleen
You don't need to diet Head. You look fine the way you are.

Thanks chef, it's been hard,, i lost 56 Lbs for last year, so i could dive safer , and i hope to keep it off.xNKc4AXtyR85PiQy
Lurker
Wow! Good for you! That's amazing. I'm sure you will. Be safer and keep it off I mean.