Eurovision Song Contest

last reply
12 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Head Penguin
0 likes
Why does the UK even enter?! Bonny Tyler's song was rubbish. Are the people who think up these entries actually trying to make us look pathetic? And why are they so old. Our girl must have been the oldest performer and that Humpledink man last year is as old as my Grandad!

I love watching the different songs but the UK is just a laughing stock! I know this won't mean anything to American readers, but anyone else got an opinion?

P.S. loved the Finnish song with the lesbians kissing at the end and the Denmark girl was a worthy winner!

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Lurker
0 likes
I think this maybe the first year I didnt even bother to watch it. Everyone else always seems so much better and sticks to their traditions or comes up with something new and exciting. UK does seem to have a reputation or wither being too boring cheesy or just old and outdated in this contest. Also, the votes do seem highly politically influenced at times!
Head Penguin
0 likes
I know what you mean, but I'm not sure political is the right word. Countries tend to vote for their neighbours or countries they have an affinity with. So Greece vote for Cyprus and vice versa and Finland vote for Hungary etc.

However, really good songs like the Danish one will still come through, because they will accrue points and get enough to win.

It's like UK doesn't get it somehow. If you go to Europe and listen to what's on the radio and what people listen to, it's not what Bonnie Tyler was singing. I do wonder if the UK guys are deliberately sending it up. Our song last night is like the stuff my Mum listens to lol.

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
If we put in someone with a chance of winning we might have to host it! And we don't want that! I stopped watching after Terry Wogan was booted out, without his cynical, sarcastic and comical commentary it had nothing to keep me interested anymore.

I think the only time I'd watch it again is with a group of friends to be playing the Eurovision drinking game, consists of drinking when the hosts sing/talk in rhyme and when you see particular types of acts etc. I'm sure the rules are out there somewhere.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
first year i didn't watched it. Just looked at results, flip Ireland done terrible. Both countries need to pick better singers. Agree with @StylisX it does seem highly politically influenced.Pure fix at times i think.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
I didn't watch much of the Eurovision Song contest this year but I caught all the entries on YouTube. I thought the Russian entry was quite good but agree that Denmark's entry by Emmelie De Forest was probably the best - a worthy winner.
I have more chance of winning the National Lottery than the UK does of winning this!
First Engelbert Humperdinck, then Bonnie Tyler!?
Give me a break.

Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by FreeSpirit
If we put in someone with a chance of winning we might have to host it! And we don't want that!

Why don't we want to host it? It would be like the Olympics and bring a feel good factor. I might actually go!

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX

Why don't we want to host it? It would be like the Olympics and bring a feel good factor. I might actually go!

I think one reason might just be the cost of the whole thing. I know we're not the poorest country in europe, but we are hardly the wealthiest either.

Also, the past few singers we have had for the UK dont really capture the musical trend of the country at the respective times.
God Empress of Lush
0 likes
I have to admit the Danish song is a real "ear worm" - once you've heard the chorus, you can't get it out of your head.

Especially since she makes really sure by repeating it about a million times.

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
The Eurovision is a massive thing on the continent, here in the UK I feel the general view is more of a comical insight into the bungling attempts by countries to produce good music. I don't think there is any where near enough interest in the UK to make holding the event profitable, certainly nothing long term that would promote musical creation.

Besides that I think when you look back at bands and acts that have come out of the UK compared to the rest of Europe, do we really need a boost?
Lurker
0 likes
I don't get why Russia are making such a big deal about the Azerbaijan cock-up. For gawd's sake, it's just a competition!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This one is still my favourite of all time -

It's a shame songs like this aren't on this any more.
Teased and Tormented -My very first story and competition entry is now up!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by SITTING
I don't get why Russia are making such a big deal about the Azerbaijan cock-up. For gawd's sake, it's just a competition!

Thing is, Azerbaijan needs to be on Russia's good side. Who else is going to be willing to support a dictatorship with as much free press as China? If they lose the support of Russia then they're pretty much fucked. That's why this is a big deal. Eurovision isn't "just a competition" for many nations, it also has a lot to do with politics, especially in a country where the government(read: dictatorship) runs the national stations.

That said, nothing Eurovision has produced will ever be able to compare itself with Epic Sax Guy