Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
any idea how much a funeral cost?
Detention Seeker
0 likes
Nothing if you build a fire and go eco friendly
Lurker
0 likes
Personally, I'd like a Viking funeral. Just googled the cost of my second choice... cremation... prices start at $2.500
Constant Gardener
0 likes
It's probably less taxing & expensive than trying to hide the body, with the assistance of another person whose mouth you then have to worry about staying fucking shut!
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by doctorlove

it depends. there's a lot of factors at stake here, starting at what area you live in, if you decide to cremate or bury, how much you spend on the casket, the plot, the tombstone, if you have a memorial at home or at a venue, etc. until those things are known, you're not going to get a very accurate answer here.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

it depends. there's a lot of factors at stake here, starting at what area you live in, if you decide to cremate or bury, how much you spend on the casket, the plot, the tombstone, if you have a memorial at home or at a venue, etc. until those things are known, you're not going to get a very accurate answer here.

Exactly. You can do one for a few thousand dollars, to as much as you want to spend. I heard that the average tends to run about $9,000 now, but as Sprite said, there are MANY factors. If I was to give a general ballpark, I would say to prepare for between $5,000 and $10,000.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I just had to deal with this last week. In ohio, for a simple cremation, plus the legal stuff like death certs and reporting to social security and such. No burial of the ashes or anything else, my cost was 1600 ish. Other Funeral homes were in the 2000s but for cremation alone nothing was beyond 3k.
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain” -unknown
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
funerals are like weddings .... the sky is the limit
The Linebacker
0 likes
From what I've heard starting cheap from about $10,000 (US) and goes up, up & way up!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
WHen my mother died in 2011, she had a pre-arranged agreement to donate her body to an organ bank. They handled that end of it, and left us with the cremated remains, for which we had to pay $25.00. The attorney's fees and county filing fees ran about another $1500. We quietly interred the remains in the same grave with dad. That cost$75.00. Having the back side of his stone cut with her name, birth and death dates was $500.00. So all told, we did the entire thing for about $2000.00, but I supect that is highly unusual.
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
A recent funeral for a family member ended up costing between $15-20K overall (and the headstone was already there, so it just required etching), so yeah, it varies quite a lot. I guess it depends on the wishes of the person and how elaborate they want it to be and whether the funds are there to accomodate.

I would think the most cost-effective thing would be cremation, a small service, and charity donations in lieu of flowers (elaborate flower arrangements can be very expensive).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by doctorlove

You aren't thinking of offing your wife are you DoctorLove?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Wildcat
Personally, I'd like a Viking funeral. Just googled the cost of my second choice... cremation... prices start at $2.500

i would love to be wrapped in oiled linen, and placed on huge wooden structure and set alight. the only thing is it would need a lot of oil and someone to be there over the coarse of days to ensure i was completely burnt up to ash....

There was a recent case of this here last year.. a family wanted to watch the cremation however under our health and safely laws they were not allowed back by the burners.. They therefore took the body to a farm they knew and it took 3 days of oiling and fueling the fire..but they were able to bless the passing of the body.

Thought it may be illegal as in desecrating a body etc but No, apparently there is no law on how you cremate the body as long as no legal issues are surround it's demise.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
That depends ... if you're asking because it is a legitimate question, then plan now and pay now because funeral directors will soak the grieving family for as much as they can.

But if it's just a random question, then it costs nothing more than the price of a shovel and a tank of gas.
"If you knew what you were doing you would probably be bored."
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Depends on where you live and if you cremation or not. Funerals go from 3000 to 7000 here in ohio, but as has been stated above it can be a lot higher depending on what you want to sink in the ground.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Including the pyramid, gold furnishings, and eternal fame? Quite a bit.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This all depends on where you go and what you do. Some churches will donate a memorial service and bereavement dinner to families who have recently lost a loved one. The best thing I can say is consult your local morticians and religious organizations.

Of course, it depends on what you're doing, as well. Donating your body to science may actually earn your family money (but not much; see research institutions and universities for exact figures and policies), and leave your body back with your family after a few years.

The best thing I can recommend is to consult with your loved ones about what you want to happen. Forewarn them about any decisions that you make.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by DLizze
WHen my mother died in 2011, she had a pre-arranged agreement to donate her body to an organ bank. They handled that end of it, and left us with the cremated remains, for which we had to pay $25.00. The attorney's fees and county filing fees ran about another $1500. We quietly interred the remains in the same grave with dad. That cost$75.00. Having the back side of his stone cut with her name, birth and death dates was $500.00. So all told, we did the entire thing for about $2000.00, but I supect that is highly unusual.

My grandparents also went the full body donation route. The cost was minimal, the school arranged and paid for the cremation, we received the cremains. They even share the same plot, and we can place 7 more cremains in the same plot(which is good because my parents are planning a similar move).