Quinoa

last reply
6 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I have gotten really into my cooking lately and decided to try out Quinoa. It's gluten free superfood and supposedly vey good for you. I just cooked it in chicken stock and find it very fiddly to clean and a bit tasteless though it does gave a slight crunch which I like. I'm still not sure if I like it but will attempt to persevere with it Does anyone have any good suggestions for it? Or have you also been caught out in the big superfood hype of a product and found it lacking?

Like hemp seeds in smoothies...they just ruined the taste...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Mine is never crunchy...I usually add a splash of olive oil and lime juice, cilantro, cucumber, tomato, or whatever raw veggies that sound good. I've also eaten it with balsamic roasted veggies, but I prefer it in a salad.

Yes, it's a pain in the arse to rinse since it's so tiny.
Weaver of Words
0 likes
rinse it in a strainer if you must. I usually just cook it. Quinoa is an extremely versatile food. you can use it almost anywhere you use rice or any other grain. (so anything from a stir fry to a side dish to a dessert) it can also be used as a morning hot cereal, served hot like oatmeal with anything you would normally use in oatmeal. it can be added to soups or casseroles. chilled, it can be added to a salad. you can add it to ground meat as a filler. I imagine, you could even partially cook it, then add it to pies as a thickener as it will absorb the excess liquid and also the flavors of the pie. it's use is really limited just by your imagination
Lurker
0 likes
It's a good source of protein. I prepare it separately then add it to my oatmeal or pancakes for a warm hearty breakfast.