Any New Ideas for Salmon?

last reply
19 replies
2.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Being from the Pacific Northwest, we are bombarded with salmon on a daily basis. When I go to the airport, the gift shops are full of cedar boxes full of smoked salmon.

Don't buy that stuff. It's a total rip off.

I prefer white fish like halibut or mahi mahi but it seems like salmon is soooo much more available. I've noticed that there are two main ways of preparing it. One in a soy, sugar way or a lemon dill style.

Personally I feel like the flavor of salmon over powers the mildness of dill.

Does anyone have any new ideas for salmon? I have a freezer full and am looking for new ideas.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My personal favourite way of preparing salmon is with a thin covering of sweet chili sauce, then a teaspoon of easy chili, and a good squirt of lime juice. Alongside buttered baby potatoes and fine beans.

Btw you can use a lot more easy chili than you would in any other dish.
Hope you enjoy.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
leave them be and eat a carrot.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Line your freezer with lead to absorb the radiation in your Pacific salmon from the Fukushima reactor meltdown.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Butter grill the salmon and serve it with peppered garlic grits and broccoli.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Leave them in the rivers for the bears. Yuk!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz
Butter grill the salmon and serve it with peppered garlic grits and broccoli.

Grits? You're so southern... I'm surprised you didn't suggest deep frying it. JK
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

Grits? You're so southern... I'm surprised you didn't suggest deep frying it. JK

No, no, no, you can't deep fry salmon. Well, um, maybe pan fry it with a light cornbread crust. I don't think it'll work in a low country boil. But possibly Cajun blackened, yeah, l'd try that for sure.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
leave them be and eat a carrot.

Why?

Salmon have a finite life cycle. They are born in freshwater and then migrate to the ocean. Then for some reason they return 7 years later to the exact place of their birth to spawn. Then they die. Over a hundred species live off salmon in the Pacific Northwest, including us humans. Their bones and flesh fertilize the beautiful, massive trees that line our coastlines. They are the keystone species of the pacific. When the salmon run back upstream there is a literal feeding frenzy.

Carrots haven't kept human beings alive for thousands of years. Salmon have. And as long as we pay attention to proper conservation, we can continue to insert ourselves into the food chain.

Humans are animals right? We obtain nutrients in the same way that bears, wolves and ravens do. If humans decided to be vegan 100 000 years ago then there would be no humans left. Because being vegan is luxury of modern day.

Now, if you want to talk about fish conservation then we can do that. There is a huge difference between wild pacific salmon and garbage farmed Atlantic salmon.

Guess which is which?

Or I guess you could just eat a carrot....
Lurker
0 likes
Yeah carrots for me too. I'm not a fish person. I hate the smell and taste...ewww.
Lurker
0 likes
BBQ Salmon sticks and fried sweet potatoes
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

Why?

cause no one, not even fish, like to bite into a tasty snack and find out it's a nasty painful hook, get yanked about and then clubbed on the head while suffocating. carrots, from what i can tell, don't really care.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Australia farms some magnificent Atlantic Salmon - usually in Tasmania.
I prefer my Salmon - Shashimi style - raw with a little Soy sauce and Wasabi.
Ocean Trout is even better.
If you wish to cook it - just plain on the BBQ on a piece of baking paper - it doesn't burn or stick.No more than six minutes skin side down then two minutes skin side up.Enjoy with a little salad dressed with Japanese Sesame Soy dressing.
Troublemaker
0 likes
I like to BBQ my salmon wrapped in foil with lemon slices then add a dollop of salsa a minute or two before pulling off the heat. My preference in salsa leans toward mango or pineapple, none of that everyday salsa crap.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Put some balsamic vinaigrette in a zip lock bag, put a couple of pieces in and let marinade 40 min to an hour. Take out and put on grill, amazing flavor! Top off with Mr Yoshida teriyaki sauce. Easy recipe with phenomenal results!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Rinse the fresh salmon fillets under cold water, then pat dry with paper towel.

Place in a ceramic dish and cover with a teriyaki stir-fry sauce.

Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.

Line a baking tray with baking (parchment) paper and place marinated salmon on baking paper.

Cook in a pre-heated 180degC (350degF) oven for 10 minutes.

Serve on a bed of steamed basmati rice.

Wash it down with a glass of chilled Pino Grigio.0GbGD0EFYcpiI4WG
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Instead of the typical belly, have a go at the salmon head, or both. Simmered in vinegar and then sauteed in tomatoes and oyster sauce. Don't use a fillet.

I like mine just steamed with a pinch of rock salt and nothing else, brings out the taste with the fat.