Any Bourbon drinkers on Lush?

last reply
63 replies
7.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
I got bought a bottle of Makers Mark as a thank you from someone last week. Cracked it open at the weekend and have to say I really liked it. I haven't tried many Bourbons but it was nice to enjoy a splash of this over some frozen whisky stones.

Do you have a favourite brand that you would recommend?

How do you prefer your Bourbon? Over ice? With a twist?

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I love bourbon.

Maker's Mark is good. Bulleit is my go to bourbon. My absolute fave is Angel's Envy, but it's hard to find. Also, Knob Creek and Gentleman Jim, but they are pretty pricey.

Best cheap bourbon out there: Evan Williams.

I like it on the rocks (not too much ice). I like the way the drink changes flavor as the ice melts.

0 likes
Hm. Never drunk bourbon but mean to someday so I shall take note of Jeff's advice. I have drunk Canadian rye whiskey and Scotch. Prefer the latter.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I love Jim Beam. It’s probably an unpopular opinion but few bourbons taste as crisp and good to me.

I drink it with a tiny dash of cold water or just plain straight.
"A dirty book is rarely dusty"
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by PrincessC

I love Jim Beam. It’s probably an unpopular opinion but few bourbons taste as crisp and good to me.

I drink it with a tiny dash of cold water or just plain straight.

I like Beam. Though if I am at the liquor store I tend to go above or below that price, either Evan Williams (below) or Bulleit (above).

Old Granddad is cheap but good too. Old Crow is AWFUL, but I love the label.
0 likes
I have to say that I am a huge fan of bourbon. I’ve been quite fortunate to have tried anything from the Makers Mark you mentioned Liz all the way up to Papy Van Winkle. One very solid bottle is Elijah Craig - not as expensive as Papy ($400 USD a bottle) but still has some incredibly nice tasting notes.
The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

[URL=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-night-that-changed-my-life-1.aspx][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WPPsy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

I like Beam. Though if I am at the liquor store I tend to go above or below that price, either Evan Williams (below) or Bulleit (above).

Old Granddad is cheap but good too. Old Crow is AWFUL, but I love the label.

I don’t think I’ve had any of the ones you have mentioned. If I ever head north again I’ll try them.
"A dirty book is rarely dusty"
Marx Sister
0 likes
I love whiskey of all sorts. I guess I've never really developed a taste for rye or Canadian, but I'm not averse. Just don't know them. I drink my bourbon in a variety of ways. Neat, over ice (but, a specific sort of ice cube), or as part of a bourbon cocktail like an old fashioned or a sazerac. A proper sazerac requires decent absinthe, but that's not so hard to find anymore.
My Featured Stories
The Snowglobe Conspiracy – Solving a great mystery | There Is No Butterfly – Time Travel competition entry | Incurable Arousal – Most viewed | Toxic, But Not Sinister – Mutual loathing at its finest | You Were – An experience in the second person | Desiderium – A scattering of lovers
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Looks like I've got some homework to do.

Some interesting recommendations there - I don't know if all of them are easily purchasable in the UK but next time I'm ready for a bottle I'll keep my eyes peeled. Another Bourbon that has recently been recommended to me is Woodford Reserve.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm a bull it, or wild turkey man myself, the wild turkey rare breed is extraordinary
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Just tasted Featherbone; a Detroit City small batch. Nice and smooth.
0 likes
Quote by Liz
Looks like I've got some homework to do.

Some interesting recommendations there - I don't know if all of them are easily purchasable in the UK but next time I'm ready for a bottle I'll keep my eyes peeled. Another Bourbon that has recently been recommended to me is Woodford Reserve.

Liz,

Woodford produces a great product, the reserve is very nice however if you can get your hands on the double oak, YUM.
The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

[URL=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-night-that-changed-my-life-1.aspx][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WPPsy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
being in chicago, with plenty of access - my favorite is Makers Mark . I appreciate a wheat based over rye ( rye is way more common ). BTW, i am 62 years old and have NEVER drank a whole can of beer at a time - just don't like it . I have tried several types of whiskies but have been a Bourbon man for the past 35 years . Makers for the last 20 .Wheat base has a distinct flavor , highly preferred by --ME ! nBack in my divorce days - I drank any type of bourbon but when i met mark - it was all over !
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
being in chicago, with plenty of access - my favorite is Makers Mark . I appreciate a wheat based over rye ( rye is way more common ). BTW, i am 62 years old and have NEVER drank a whole can of beer at a time - just don't like it . I have tried several types of whiskies but have been a Bourbon man for the past 35 years . Makers for the last 20 .Wheat base has a distinct flavor , highly preferred by --ME ! nBack in my divorce days - I drank any type of bourbon but when i met mark - it was all over !
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I should add that, summertime i do like to visit my cousin, Jimmy Beam -black cherry but only in hot weather , and, of course I only drink my Bourbon on the rocks .
Marx Sister
0 likes
So, it's definitely not bourbon, but I just discovered Red Bush, which is a Bushmill's (a fairly standard Irish whisky) aged in Bourbon casks. Pretty delicious for its price. You know, its price here, at any rate.
My Featured Stories
The Snowglobe Conspiracy – Solving a great mystery | There Is No Butterfly – Time Travel competition entry | Incurable Arousal – Most viewed | Toxic, But Not Sinister – Mutual loathing at its finest | You Were – An experience in the second person | Desiderium – A scattering of lovers
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Sort of an oddball brand—“Rebel Yell”
The Linebacker
0 likes
Makers Mark is always in my liquor cabinet. My wife particularly enjoys it with Coca-Cola on ice with a lemon.

Makers Mark is one of the sweeter bourbons. I do enjoy it a lot, though it is a slightly watered down version from what it was a few years back.

Makers Mark is a bit pricey for many but there are some cheaper priced bourbons still maintaining that sweeter taste like Makers Mark.

Jim Beam Black
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Four Roses

Generally, the best bourbons come from the state of Kentucky. A very strong tradition in making bourbon exists there.

Bulleit Bourbon
Jim Beam
Old Crow
Old Forester 1897

Evan Williams is a very good bourbon at an inexpensive price.

I also keep Jack Daniels on hand.

Bourbon is a must have at my Georgia Bulldog tailgate parties. Our staples are Makers Mark, Jim Beam, Old Crow. We also always have Jack Daniels on hand. While we always have Vodkas and Gin for tailgating, for me it's bourbon whiskey that I indulge in the most, as well as ice cold beers.
Lurker
0 likes
A little too sweet for me.

If I buy it nowadays, it's usually for cooking.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
As an inexpensive and perfectly fine one, I like Ezra Brooks Black Label myself:

It's relatively medium-bodied, so the notes suit nicely in all those cocktails that ask for a bit of sugar (which is my usual drinking method):

Mana wahine
0 likes
Am a bourbon drinker.
*THE DEVIL*
0 likes
You bet, it’s my preferred poison?
I find that any bourbon in excess of 100 proof will nullify my ability to fully appreciate all the flavors .
I started with Makers and still have a preference for the heavily wheated varieties.

My favorite at the moment is four roses single barrel it’s very tasty followed by a lingering but not overbearing burn ??
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by apptobebad

Sorry, Lulu, but I HATE honey flavored (or cinnamon flavored, or nacho cheese flavored, or owl flavored, or anything flavored) bourbon.
Unfuckwithable
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

Sorry, Lulu, but I HATE honey flavored (or cinnamon flavored, or nacho cheese flavored, or owl flavored, or anything flavored) bourbon.

Awwww... I am usually a JD and coke drinker, but I do like the Honey or spiced flavours now and then.

You should first read this Looky Here!!

and then this Free stuff

then say 'Hi'
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by apptobebad

Awwww... I am usually a JD and coke drinker, but I do like the Honey or spiced flavours now and then.

I'll bring you a bottle of Bulleit and one of those plastic bears full of honey and you can make your own!
Unfuckwithable
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

I'll bring you a bottle of Bulleit and one of those plastic bears full of honey and you can make your own!

You should first read this Looky Here!!

and then this Free stuff

then say 'Hi'
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I was curious to read what professional reviewers had to say about Ezra Brooks Black Label, because I definitely consider it a pretty fine bourbon for its price myself. A lot of reviewers actually perceive it as Woodford Reserve's little brother, with much similar caramel/vanilla notes for nearly half of the price. And quite a few also rate it as a superior bourbon compared to others in the same price range (mostly Jim Beam and Evan Williams).

So yeah, proper degustations aside, if you're a regular or casual drinker who doesn't really see the point of constantly paying $50 for your bourbon (especially if you habitually end up diluting it in cocktails like I do myself anyway), Ezra Brooks Black Label is definitely a nice one to keep on hand.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I also found this chart of flavors. Not sure how accurate it is, but there you have it:

Nerdzilla
0 likes
I love bourbon, for a lot of reasons. Mainly Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve, but not discounting the cheaper Evan Williams. After a little stint in Louisville, I love mixing it with ginger beer though.