Server migration

last reply
71 replies
8.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Code Monkey
0 likes
We have a new server to host all our media (audio, images, videos etc) and will be migrating to this over the next 24 hours. I will leave the site operational during this time, however it means GETting and PUTting to this server is going to fail.

This will mean broken images, failed uploads etc during this time.

Normal service will resume shortly.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gav
We have a new server to host all our media (audio, images, videos etc) and will be migrating to this over the next 24 hours. I will leave the site operational during this time, however it means GETting and PUTting to this server is going to fail.

It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it!
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Here's to smooth sailing...

This is why they pay ya the big bux!
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by gav
however it means GETting and PUTting to this server is going to fail.

So techno!! why couldnt you just say Copy and Paste .. everyone would know what you mean then.

Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Thank you, sexiest technoman.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gav

Best of luck Gav! Does this mean that the service will be faster, or will we notice no difference?

Regards, Will
0 likes
So nice to be reading about this stuff rather than doing it. Hope it's going better than a server migration I did last week (which went well at first but ...).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
So nice to be reading about this stuff rather than doing it. Hope it's going better than a server migration I did last week (which went well at first but ...).

AMEN to that!
Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by Will_greybeard

Best of luck Gav! Does this mean that the service will be faster, or will we notice no difference?

Regards, Will

I'm aiming for a nice consistent performance graph. At the moment we have spikes. When the site is under load everything grinds to a halt.

I'm waiting for DNS to catch up before I can really start the migration.

The forum db now has its own dedicated server so we *should* be seeing some performance benefits here.
Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by gav

I'm aiming for a nice consistent performance graph. At the moment we have spikes. When the site is under load everything grinds to a halt.

I'm waiting for DNS to catch up before I can really start the migration.

The forum db now has its own dedicated server so we *should* be seeing some performance benefits here.

deviated nasal septum - abnormal shift in location of the nasal septum; a common condition causing obstruction of the nasal passages and difficulty in breathing and recurrent nosebleeds

0 likes
Domain Name System, without which we would never go anywhere in teh Intarwebs. It's like the address book for domain names so your computer can actually find the computer that runs www.lushstories.com.

(Gav's not the only geek on here)
Story Verifier
0 likes
Oh, and I thought Gav was talking about the Deliciously Naughty Stories here...
0 likes
I actually like your version better, Chrissie. IT would be a lot more fun with more of that kind of DNS.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
Thank you for all the effort you put in the site, Gav! You rock. Thanks for letting us know. I was starting to think it was my own computer. Guess it wasn't. biggrin
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Gallery and album pics aren't loading.
I get:

HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable
Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 01:27:21 GMT
Content-Length: 0

It seemed to be working yesterday.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Oh, wait, some do, some don't. It's flaky.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm basically just seeing avatars. None of the other images are appearing. It took a while for the text of the story I'm working on to show up, but it got there eventually. we just need to be patient.
Code Monkey
0 likes
This outage effects all media, which includes audio (stories), videos, gallery images and thumbs.

We've migrated from a Windows Server instance of Mongo to a CentOS version and having a minor hiccup restoring the database.

Shouldn't be too much longer
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gav

Can't you just get the storm trooper to move faster? Just sayin'
Lurker
0 likes
Oh Gav, you are the best smile

That and I like when you talk tech
Site administrator
0 likes
Quote by gav
This outage effects all media, which includes audio (stories), videos, gallery images and thumbs.

We've migrated from a Windows Server instance of Mongo to a CentOS version and having a minor hiccup restoring the database.

Yep .. I had exactly that issue when I upgraded my Playstation 1 .. damn these things are so challenging I know.
Lurker
0 likes
Wish I had saw this post before I sent in an email!
Prolific Writer
0 likes
Thanks Gav for all you do. You're the best Techie guy ever....

Matriarch
0 likes
There's nothing to worry about folks, Gav has someone helping out in the server room:

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by gav

Thanks Gav for everything that you do for us, you are a champ.