New Story Feature - Alternate Endings

last reply
28 replies
3.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Code Monkey
0 likes
we have just added a new extension to the story authoring process (suggested by DarkSide) where you can add alternate endings to your story. this allows the reader to choose their own ending, helping to make the stories that much more immersive.

you might have noticed a new toolbar icon on the story submission box. this blue forking arrow will insert a new section to edit area where you can define a heading and body to the ending.

then the reader can click on the heading to reveal the ending.

let me know if you have any comments.

cheers
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by gav
we have just added a new extension to the story authoring process (suggested by DarkSide) where you can add alternate endings to your story. this allows the reader to choose their own ending, helping to make the stories that much more immersive.

you might have noticed a new toolbar icon on the story submission box. this blue forking arrow will insert a new section to edit area where you can define a heading and body to the ending.

let me know if you have any comments.

cheers

you have a nice ass, Gav.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Code Monkey
0 likes
Quote by sprite

you have a nice ass, Gav.

It is as white and hard as it looks
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The new Alternate Endings feature sounds interesting! Now, will there be a way of noting that a story has alternate endings on the main page that lists the new stories?
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Can we go back to stories already published and write alternate endings to add to existing stories?
Primus Omnium
0 likes
I'm always happy t0 thank Gav f0r any new features. I'll just say that I can't see myself using this feature. I am pretty much happy with the endings I create. If n0t, I might actually rewrite the st0ry, and resubmit it.
0 likes
I, on the other hand, might have made use of this in the last couple episodes of the Wedding Interrupted series since I was wrestling with various possible endings. I will not, as Beffer suggest, go back and add them now but it's something I might get some mileage out of down the road.
Site administrator
0 likes
What a clever idea... I bet no other site has that option.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
I, on the other hand, might have made use of this in the last couple episodes of the Wedding Interrupted series since I was wrestling with various possible endings. I will not, as Beffer suggest, go back and add them now but it's something I might get some mileage out of down the road.

That's exactly the situation I thought of when I read this.

Cool idea Darkside!!! Thank you Gav for implementing it!!!
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

That's exactly the situation I thought of when I read this.

Actually, using it in Lady of the Woods would have been cool. The "fantasy" ending that it has now and the "horror" ending where things go less (much less) well for Severus. Not sure it would be allowed for a comp, though.

Actually, there's a future comp challenge: Write a story with at least two endings using the new feature. Could add some category and length restrictions to make it tougher, too.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Was wondering if there are any word count limits on this feature? For instance, would it be kosher for a flash story to have 999 words but an additional 500 word alternative ending? Also and in addition, do the alternates have a word limit.

Yeah, that's picky crap, but we bar roon barristers wanna know! ;)

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Can a mod or someone maybe post an example multiple ending story so we can see this in action? Wouldn't need to be a real story, just an example. I'm trying to get my head around how it would work.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
Actually, there's a future comp challenge: Write a story with at least two endings using the new feature. Could add some category and length restrictions to make it tougher, too.

What a good idea
0 likes
Quote by nicola

What a good idea

The invoice is in the mail. I prefer Paypal or a suitcase full of small bills.
0 likes
Okay, DarkSide has posted a story using the new feature:

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/letter-of-intent-1.aspx

Since I'm considering using it in a story currently on the drawing board, I thought I would check it out but it does not seem to be working as described. Both endings are fully visible and links to expand don't seem to do anything. Basically, I have to scroll over ending1 to get to ending2 and that does not match what Gav describes above. A bug or is my browser (Chrome on Windows 8) not handling something properly?
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Perhaps we could tweak the styling a little to make the options stand out a bit more, too? smile

0 likes
Quote by Liz
Perhaps we could tweak the styling a little to make the options stand out a bit more, too? smile

I'll second that. The redhead has good ideas.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by Liz

Ooh, html gets me all hot and bothered.

Darkside's story is good stuff. Nice to see the feature in action.

Can we add more than two endings? Can we have alternate endings nested inside existing alternate endings? Am I being annoying yet?

GOOD idea. Thanks Gav! And thanks Darkside, for coming (heh) up with the idea, as well as being the first one to use it and show us how it's done.
Wouldn't you rather have a nice cup of tea?
0 likes
Is it just endings, or could we potentially write a 'choose your own sexy adventure' kind of story? That would be a great challenge.

Don't believe everything that you read.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This is a great idea and I can see some very interesting uses for it! I just finished a story that, while it didn't really have an alternate ending, the one I had originally didn't please some of my readers (it left them feeling like there should be more) so I added a chapter to "finish" the story better. However, had I put a good end on it to start with, an alternate ending would have worked for it too!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

Quote by Myrrhhhhhh

Will the alt endings feature be back?

umm... no idea. i had forgotten all about this, tbh. was it ever even used?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes

Quote by Seeker4

I had ideas but never got any of them out before the migration. I vaguely recall a few attempts to use it, but it certainly was not widely used.

i am guessing not, tbh. it was kind of a weird feature in the first place.

**Smile, it's free therapy**
0 likes

Although I think interactive stories are a great concept, I think it would be a wasted feature to bring back.
I read a LOT of stories on V1, I can't think of more than one story that I read which used the feature.

I seem to write a story every 1.5 years on average.

You might as well check them out: https://www.lushstories.com/profile/Georgia_27_8/stories

XGX

❤️

Terrestrial Mermaid from Deep Space
0 likes

Quote by sprite

umm... no idea. i had forgotten all about this, tbh. was it ever even used?

I read a few from the earlier Lush stories. They were nice and would have been better if the reader has the option to click to reveal the alt endings. I asked because I remember asking friends for advice several times on stories I wrote (like a poll questionredface) when I can't decide which ending is better because both were good.

Latest stories:

💙 Love Beyond the Stars

💙 Which Would You Prefer To Dip Your Fries Into?

💙 Okay

💙 Autolove

💙 Fuck for Gold

💙 On My Tongue

Please read, rate ❤️⭐, and leave an honest comment on the story. Coins are welcome, too!

STORY LIST || STORY BACKGROUNDS 💋💙