Announcing our "Notorious" Story Competition

last reply
417 replies
21.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
Notorious Competition

This competition is a little more light-hearted than our usual competitions.

Akin to our infamous "Attention Whore" site competition, we want to encourage as many members to participate as possible. Stories should be short and sweet (well, downright dirty preferred!), and submitted to our "Flash Erotica" Category - 1000 words or less.

Our "Notorious" competition is all about getting noticed.

Unlike our normal competitions, stories will not be judged by "official" judges. Membership will get to pick the winner (based on a combination of highest average score / largest number of votes).

It's therefore important that writers do as much campaigning as time allows, both on and off site.

Competition Theme

The theme is based around notoriety. Notorious; "well-known; publicly discussed", but more typically, "widely but unfavorably known or talked about."

Is your main character a famous personality, a politician, rock or sports star? A well-known womaniser? A clubbing cougar?

(Please note, for legal reasons we do not allow Fan Fiction pieces)

We are offering one prize of $150 to the winner.

Full details and dates can be found here >>

The Right Rev of Lush
So you're saying this should be autobiographical flash? ;)

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Matriarch
Quote by RumpleForeskin
So you're saying this should be autobiographical flash? ;)

Sure! How famous are you outside of Rumplations?

Actually, come to think of it, you're 1200 pages deep at the Rumplations Honky Tonk and Cyber Bar. That's an awful lot of people to lend your entry support!

Game on ladies and gentlemen!
Hmmm. Flash is kind of my thing these days. However, attention whoring isn't, as evidenced by the low readership on a lot of my pieces. Still, this could be fun.
Primus Omnium
There are 29 Flash Erotica and 17 Quickie Sex stories in my story queue. I rather enjoy the shorter kinds of fiction. But I'm never really good at gaining attention. We will just have to see what we can all get done.

Good luck, all.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
I am all over this like a bad suit.
Her Royal Spriteness
Quote by Green_Man

There are 29 Flash Erotica and 17 Quickie Sex stories in my story queue. I rather enjoy the shorter kinds of fiction. But I'm never really good at gaining attention. We will just have to see what we can all get done.

Good luck, all.

my free advice to you and everyone else. get your friends to help. not just vote, but to get others to vote. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
Quote by sprite

my free advice to you and everyone else. get your friends to help. not just vote, but to get others to vote. smile

Wait, I have to interact with other people? I can't be cranky and aloof?
Her Royal Spriteness
Quote by Verbal

Wait, I have to interact with other people? I can't be cranky and aloof?

next contest will be to see who can get the least number of votes if that makes you feel better.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Quote by sprite

My problem is that a significant percentage of my friends are other writers who could also be stumping for votes (e.g. King Ghidorah ... er, Verbal).
Primus Omnium
Quote by seeker4

My problem is that a significant percentage of my friends are other writers who could also be stumping for votes (e.g. King Ghidorah ... er, Verbal).

Right. It would appear that in order to "win" one must NOT vote for all of one's friends and hope they vote for you instead. And give you a good score. This is going to be a riot.
Her Royal Spriteness
Quote by seeker4

i can be bought, you know.

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
Quote by Green_Man

Right. It would appear that in order to "win" one must NOT vote for all of one's friends and hope they vote for you instead. And give you a good score. This is going to be a riot.

Nah. I don't think so. We are a community of writers here, and I think the natural tendency is to be supportive. I am not gonna deny someone a deserved vote just because I want to win. It's not exactly cheating, but it is valuing winning over friendship.
Her Royal Spriteness
nice thing is, i can actually enter this one if i want to. i'm seriously thinking about it.

Advanced Wordsmith
This is a great idea.

Since winning is based on scores/votes this time, it'd be cool to see a "real-time" leaderboard. And by "real-time" I guess I mean occasionally-but-regularly updated. No idea how hard that would be to automate.

“Writing is a socially acceptable form of getting naked in public.” -Paulo Coelho

Quote by jaded_buddha
This is a great idea.

Since winning is based on scores/votes this time, it'd be cool to see a "real-time" leaderboard. And by "real-time" I guess I mean occasionally-but-regularly updated. No idea how hard that would be to automate.

If it was going to be used again down the road, I could see getting Gav to put in the time. But for a one-time thing, I suspect the stormtrooper has bigger rebels ... er, fish ... to fry. But if Nic thinks it's worthwhile, I'd be cool with seeing it happen.
Lurker
Quote by jaded_buddha
This is a great idea.

Great point.

Will the scores be hidden until the deadline?

Do they need to be? Possibly.

Admin usually scrutinizes the votes/scoring prior to making them public. I suspect this will happen again, so a ‘real-time’ leaderboard is probably not going to happen. But I could be wrong.

Not knowing the numbers until the results does add some intrigue.
High Lord of Darkness
Being an attention whore myself, I will enter. But my votes and scores will be well down. I know I won't get the readership of those that have been here much longer than me. And I'm on the wrong side of the pond. But I do love flash. Let's see how dirty I can make Melissa act.

I used to be a pervert. In here, I'm normal!

Watch this space...She is really - cumming soon!

Quote by DarkSide
Being an attention whore myself, I will enter. But my votes and scores will be well down. I know I won't get the readership of those that have been here much longer than me. And I'm on the wrong side of the pond. But I do love flash. Let's see how dirty I can make Melissa act.

Why do you think you're on the wrong side of the pond? A lot of successful (in the sense of readership, scores, badges,etc.) Lushies are in the UK. I sometimes feel like I'm on the wrong side of the pond (Canada).
Advanced Wordsmith
Quote by Ping

Great point.

Will the scores be hidden until the deadline?

Do they need to be? Possibly.

Admin usually scrutinizes the votes/scoring prior to making them public. I suspect this will happen again, so a ‘real-time’ leaderboard is probably not going to happen. But I could be wrong.

Not knowing the numbers until the results does add some intrigue.

True, it might not be feasible for any number of good reasons. But it might keep people engaged in the contest all the way through. OTOH, it's possible someone could jump out to an insurmountable lead and take all the drama away... might be talking myself out of the idea... lol

“Writing is a socially acceptable form of getting naked in public.” -Paulo Coelho

Lurker
This sounds interesting. I may give this a fumble with my humor.
Unfuckwithable
Quote by sprite
nice thing is, i can actually enter this one if i want to. i'm seriously thinking about it.

you'll need friends

You should first read this Looky Here!!

and then this Free stuff

then say 'Hi'
Her Royal Spriteness
Quote by jaded_buddha

True, it might not be feasible for any number of good reasons. But it might keep people engaged in the contest all the way through. OTOH, it's possible someone could jump out to an insurmountable lead and take all the drama away... might be talking myself out of the idea... lol

i will look into doing updates. i know we did them for the attention whore contest. if we can for this one, we will. smile

Her Royal Spriteness
Quote by apptobebad

you'll need friends

and you're going to need a pillow to sit on for about a week.

Advanced Wordsmith
Quote by sprite

i will look into doing updates. i know we did them for the attention whore contest. if we can for this one, we will. smile

Cool! I think it could be fun.

Charming as fuck
I vote that competitors provide their own score updates and can lie blatantly if they choose to ?
Advanced Wordsmith
Quote by Jen
I vote that competitors provide their own score updates and can lie blatantly if they choose to ?

In that case, I took the lead last Wednesday with three 1 votes and a 2. Catch me if you can...

Lurker
Quote by Jen