"How do I make my stories POPULAR?"

last reply
49 replies
6.8k views
2 watchers
36 likes
Rookie Scribe
0 likes

Make sure your stories are interesting, engaging, and relevant. Use strong visuals and compelling language to draw readers in.

Active Ink Slinger
1 like

Any advice for a newbie? Sometimes I feel like it's really hard to have the first step.

Simple Scribbler
2 likes

Quote by Gabriel

Any advice for a newbie? Sometimes I feel like it's really hard to have the first step.

The first step is hard, Gabriel, but take it anyway. I’d “do you”, find your unique writing style and voice, making sure it’s technically sound, then hit Publish and see what happens. For me, an attention-grabbing title is very important so a reader chooses your story among the many others publishing at the same time.

Building a following takes time. Some market their stuff in status updates, invite friends to read your story, read others, enter competitions if you want more reads, votes, comments. Or just enjoy the creative process and don’t worry about numbers. You decide. Msg me when you publish and I’ll read your first entry! smile

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

The sheer fact that hundreds of people, then over a thousand have read some of my stories blows my mind. If some people actually enjoy them, then that’s even better. Write what makes you happy. At a previous site, I wrote stories that might have attracted 75 views. I still chat with three of those people who ‘followed’ my brief blips of spontaneous mental garbage. If writing truly makes you happy, then the numbers won’t matter. Be free.

Wouldn't you rather have a nice cup of tea?
3 likes

This is entirely the wrong question to concern yourself with as a creative writer. There are already too many authors on this site who are far better at publicizing their work than actually producing quality stories. Focus on making your stories good, express your unique vision (rather than following someone else's bullshit template for success) and let them find whatever audience they may.

Don't believe everything that you read.

Easily amused
1 like

Quote by Just_A_Guy_You_Know

This is entirely the wrong question to concern yourself with as a creative writer. There are already too many authors on this site who are far better at publicizing their work than actually producing quality stories. Focus on making your stories good, and let them find whatever audience they may.

Yeah, I admit I get frustrated that more eyes don’t land on my stories. But you are right, publicizing stories is a full time job. You only have so much time, spend it on the writing, not the publicity.

Tintinnabulation - first place (Free Spirit)
Comet Q - second place (Quick and Risqué Sex)
Amnesia - third place (Le Noir Erotique)

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by Ensorceled

Yeah, I admit I get frustrated that more eyes don’t land on my stories. But you are right, publicizing stories is a full time job. You only have so much time, spend it on the writing, not the publicity.

If you care about numbers, this isn't the site to post on.

Simple Scribbler
1 like

I think this site really does provide something for everyone and there’s a good balance thanks to Recommended Reads, EPs, and competitions that have nothing to do with a story’s popularity, so those who write outside the current culture’s preferences can still get accolades. Popularity is fleeting though, so I think writers will be happier for the long run if they don’t need the stats to feel good, but to each their own. I think it’s great Lush provides ways to market through status updates, forums, friends to those who have the desire and time.

1 like

Quote by Ensorceled

I feel this, but I have shrugged my shoulders at this point and accepted it for what it is. At least my creations are out there.

Plus, there is only so much you can do besides status updates, forum signatures and forum posts.

My last published story: Good For Nothing

Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes

Quote by CarltonStJames
Plus, there is only so much you can do besides status updates, forum signatures and forum posts.

I suspect there are far more sophisticated ways of gaming the system than that. Personally, I haven't anything worth the cleverness involved, nor the brain power to do it if I did.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

I write mostly to express my emotions and feelings, but still, it's really nice of you to share your advices with us. Thank you very much.

Easily amused
2 likes

I find paying readers to comment remarkably ineffective, but kind of fun.

Tintinnabulation - first place (Free Spirit)
Comet Q - second place (Quick and Risqué Sex)
Amnesia - third place (Le Noir Erotique)

Wild at Heart
0 likes

You gotta make it about a step-son sucking on his mom’s big fat mommy milkers.. and just call it that so you get clicks.

Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes

Quote by Magical_felix

You gotta make it about a step-son sucking on his mom’s big fat mommy milkers.. and just call it that so you get clicks.

And make sure you put "True" in the tags -- works wonders for a spot on the leader board.

Wild at Heart
0 likes

Quote by kistinspencil

And make sure you put "True" in the tags -- works wonders for a spot on the leader board.

Yes, that’s a great tip. Maybe “first time” too. And throw some anal in there.

Voyeur @ f/64
1 like

Quote by Magical_felix

Yes, that’s a great tip. Maybe “first time” too. And throw some anal in there.

Sorry -- the anal tag was presumed.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes

Quote by kistinspencil

In all likelihood, yes.

I agree with kistinpencil

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

I think you have to accept that taste is subjective and what you think is a great story won't necessarily be popular. And, a story you think is mediocre could take off. A list of stories I've written that have done best in terms of likes and views, includes few if any of the tales I think are my best work.