Google Drive Files corrupted when cut and pasting to Lush

last reply
7 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Hi, I have just had some frustrating days whilst awaiting Moderator's approval. I had written my story on Google Drive which allows me to use it on my Samsung Smartphone and my laptop. The file was perfect on this medium but when I cut and pasted to submit the story on Lush the characters were all bold and it had also corrupted the paragraph spacing. In future I will check the Lush copy before submitting. Has anyone else experienced this?
Matriarch
0 likes
You need to paste the story into flat file format / plain text, before copying and pasting it again, into lush.

Most devices / programs, include lots of code when you copy text, which renders in a whole host of ways, depending on the website / form / program, you are submitting to.

To remove all that unwanted junk code, it's best to post into notepad (or equivalent) first, or to format it as plain text. Then C & P to our form here. It's the same on most sites you submit to. Always paste as plain text and you'll have no issues.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Thank you. I will now do that. Many thanks for your good advice.
Marx Sister
0 likes
If you don't like notepad or whatever equivalent that your computer shipped with, I recommend downloading a text editor of moderate sophistication, like Atom or SublimeText. They are typically used for writing code, but they can do any kind of text, and I find that they have a much nicer interface - one which it's been my observation that writers have a better time looking at than they do notepad. Anyway, it should strip everything out really nicely, and if you have any other problems you can just save a new copy of the story in a .txt file which will definitely do that. This may well be overkill for your purposes, but it was the first thought I had, since it is how I sanitize text.
My Featured Stories
The Snowglobe Conspiracy – Solving a great mystery | There Is No Butterfly – Time Travel competition entry | Incurable Arousal – Most viewed | Toxic, But Not Sinister – Mutual loathing at its finest | You Were – An experience in the second person | Desiderium – A scattering of lovers
0 likes
Quote by She
If you don't like notepad or whatever equivalent that your computer shipped with, I recommend downloading a text editor of moderate sophistication, like Atom or SublimeText. They are typically used for writing code, but they can do any kind of text, and I find that they have a much nicer interface - one which it's been my observation that writers have a better time looking at than they do notepad. Anyway, it should strip everything out really nicely, and if you have any other problems you can just save a new copy of the story in a .txt file which will definitely do that. This may well be overkill for your purposes, but it was the first thought I had, since it is how I sanitize text.

Agreed that if you're actually using the text editor as your writing environment, then something fancier would be nice (Notepad++ is another good one). OTOH, if you're not using to edit but just to convert it to plain text after writing it in something else, Notepad is just fine.

Personally, I do my writing in Word and just use Google Drive for storage. I've never warmed up to the Google Docs word processor.
Marx Sister
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
Agreed that if you're actually using the text editor as your writing environment, then something fancier would be nice (Notepad++ is another good one). OTOH, if you're not using to edit but just to convert it to plain text after writing it in something else, Notepad is just fine.

Personally, I do my writing in Word and just use Google Drive for storage. I've never warmed up to the Google Docs word processor.

That's true. I tend to at least do my final readthrough and polishing in a text editor, so it makes more sense for me.

And yeah, Notepad++ is a good choice. I just forget about it because I don't use a Windows machine unless I'm programming something for a Windows environment. In general, I like Atom because it is open source and was originated by GitHub.
My Featured Stories
The Snowglobe Conspiracy – Solving a great mystery | There Is No Butterfly – Time Travel competition entry | Incurable Arousal – Most viewed | Toxic, But Not Sinister – Mutual loathing at its finest | You Were – An experience in the second person | Desiderium – A scattering of lovers
0 likes
Quote by She

I just forget about it because I don't use a Windows machine unless I'm programming something for a Windows environment.

Ah, Linux? Or Mac? I'm a Windows guy myself, both personally and professionally, though I might switch to Linux eventually for my personal stuff. Right now, it's just easier to stick to the same OS in both worlds.

I was actually put on to Sublime by my son (1st year Comp Sci student) and have used it for some scripting and such at work but I'm offloading a lot of that sort of work on to a new staff person I hired last fall specifically to do it so I don't have as much call for it anymore.
0 likes
Quote by jack1107
Hi, I have just had some frustrating days whilst awaiting Moderator's approval. I had written my story on Google Drive which allows me to use it on my Samsung Smartphone and my laptop. The file was perfect on this medium but when I cut and pasted to submit the story on Lush the characters were all bold and it had also corrupted the paragraph spacing. In future I will check the Lush copy before submitting. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yup. I use Google Drive and yes, it goes all wonky when cut and pasted into the submission box. I know there are easier ways to fix the wonkiness, but I just go through the story line by line and fix it manually.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!