USA + LGBT = ?

last reply
13 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There's the equation but what is the answer and why is it taking so long. The US claim to be the leaders of the free world but why do they lag behind so many other countries in regard to gay rights. Marriage, adoption and the ENDA what takes the US so long. The Bill of Rights mentions Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, but it doesn't say providing that you are heterosexual. It sometimes seems that the USA is more interested in injustices abroad rather than at home.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
USA + LGBT = ?

The only things I can come up with are LAST BUG, SALT BUG, SLAB GUT, SLUB TAG, BUST LAG, LUGS BAT, ABS GLUT, BAT SLUG, SLUT BAG and GAB LUST.

I hope the correct answer is either SLUT BAG or GAB LUST. I really hope so. Homosexuals might prefer ABS GLUT though.

Seriously, I agree the USA are hypocrite. About a lot of things in fact.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness is provided only if you're a 30-55 year-old white Christian heterosexual male that earns $50,000+/year, drives a Chevrolet and supports the military.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by dpw
There's the equation but what is the answer and why is it taking so long. The US claim to be the leaders of the free world but why do they lag behind so many other countries in regard to gay rights. Marriage, adoption and the ENDA what takes the US so long. The Bill of Rights mentions Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, but it doesn't say providing that you are heterosexual. It sometimes seems that the USA is more interested in injustices abroad rather than at home.

My guess is that although the state is supposed to be separated from the church, many voters are not and the politicians are voter driven. Is it a double standard, sure it is, but isn't that the way the world moves? As politicians begin to feel the pressure from the LGBT community as whole plus from all of our supporters, each state of the union begins to turn like a leaf... and perhaps not because they (politicians) want to, or even care, but because their voters are telling them what they want.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
USA + LGBT = ?

The only things I can come up with are LAST BUG, SALT BUG, SLAB GUT, SLUB TAG, BUST LAG, LUGS BAT, ABS GLUT, BAT SLUG, SLUT BAG and GAB LUST.

Very clever... loved it... LMAO!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by TonyZ

My guess is that although the state is supposed to be separated from the church, many voters are not and the politicians are voter driven. Is it a double standard, sure it is, but isn't that the way the world moves? As politicians begin to feel the pressure from the LGBT community as whole plus from all of our supporters, each state of the union begins to turn like a leaf... and perhaps not because they (politicians) want to, or even care, but because their voters are telling them what they want.

I thought that pressure groups were better organised over there. Do they get coverage on national TV, such as on political programmes in the build up to elections? I was surprised that there has never been a gay State Governor and so few in Congress. Is there a party that is more pro gay than the other? Can't policy be affected at party level more easily.
0 likes
Quote by dpw

I thought that pressure groups were better organised over there. Do they get coverage on national TV, such as on political programmes in the build up to elections? I was surprised that there has never been a gay State Governor and so few in Congress. Is there a party that is more pro gay than the other? Can't policy be affected at party level more easily.

Even here in Canada where thing are pretty LGBT-friendly relative to the States, we didn't have a senior political leader from the LGBT community until Kathleen Wynne, who is lesbian, became premier of Ontario earlier this year (though Ontario had had some LGBT cabinet ministers, including Wynne and her party leadership rival George Smitherman, prior to that). There are a smattering of gay MPs in our federal Parliament but I'm not sure we've ever had a gay federal cabinet minister (rumours swirl around 1 current senior minister but I'm not sure it's been confirmed).

The drive for gay marriage and other rights here started with court challenges under the Charter of Rights in our constitution and the politicians came on side later when it became clear who was winning and as public opinion moved, however marginally, in favour of extending those rights. In terms of public support for things like same sex marriages, it's still actually not that overwhelmingly in favour; high is some regions/provinces, low in others. Would be very, very hard for a government to roll back the clock now without paying at the polls, though I know there are factions in our ruling Conservative Party who would love to try.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by TonyZ

What is a politicians number one job?

To get re elected.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by naughtynurse

What is a politicians number one job?

To get re elected.

Is that a real answer?
Only I wouldn't put it top of my list..
Head Nurse
0 likes
It is.

It might not be what you or I might wish they would put at the top of their list. But the reality is, that their number one job is to get re elected, and if you think they forget that, then you fool yourself. They are aware of how things spin, and will always vote accordingly. For a politician to continue to work they must get re elected, thus to themselves, it is their most important task.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by naughtynurse
It is.

It might not be what you or I might wish they would put at the top of their list. But the reality is, that their number one job is to get re elected, and if you think they forget that, then you fool yourself. They are aware of how things spin, and will always vote accordingly. For a politician to continue to work they must get re elected, thus to themselves, it is their most important task.

I am reminded of a line in The American President - "I was so busy trying to keep my job, that I forgot to DO my job."

I heard someone on NPR today who said, "The United States is the most religiously-dominated country in all of the industrialized world." That, I suggest, is the cause for this nation's hypocritical social construct.
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by naughtynurse
It is.

Well they must make wonderful representatives of the people, at least over here they wait until the year before thinking about re election.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by dpw

Well they must make wonderful representatives of the people, at least over here they wait until the year before thinking about re election.

Surly you jest. Every politician thinks every minute about getting re elected. They might not be actively campaigning, but it's still what they are thinking of.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by naughtynurse

Surly you jest. Every politician thinks every minute about getting re elected. They might not be actively campaigning, but it's still what they are thinking of.

Nope over here they pass all the unpopular or contentious laws in the first 2 to 3 years then the sweet stuff after hoping to make up for it.
Head Nurse
0 likes
unpopular or not, first two years or not you are fooling yourself if you think they arent thinking of reelection already. It would be nice if they werent, but the reality is a bit different. in fact your own words prove my point.