see jack run

last reply
63 replies
3.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
i've never been a great runner, but i've run a few 10ks and several 5ks. after my first 10k, i figured that was probably my max distance.

next june i turn 39. i'm going to run a half marathon.

i usually walk about 45 minutes a day, and it's been awhile since i've run regularly. today i was out for a little over half an hour, and of that, i ran a little over 1.3 miles. that's about a tenth of the total distance of a half marathon.

i need to add approximately 12 miles of running to that. if i add a tenth of a mile a day, i'll get there in 120 running days. if i run four times a week (being conservative and allowing for bad weather, etc) i'll get there in 30 weeks. by roughly mid-summer, i'll be there.

so this is my accountability thread. wish me luck.

today's number: 1.3
Wild at Heart
0 likes
From one 39 year old Jack to another, Good Luck. Not easy but half marathon is perfectly doable, but fucking rough, good luck.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
From one 39 year old Jack to another, Good Luck. Not easy but half marathon is perfectly doable, but fucking rough, good luck.

thanks my friend. cheers to nearly making it two score trips around the sun.
0 likes
How will this marathon take place w/ this pandemic?

Or are you just running that distance?
Chatterbox Blonde- Rumps Mystical Bartender
0 likes
Jake I'm so proud of you, well done you for doing something for yourself.
Whatever was posted is always meant in love and respect never to offend.
I'm also highly likely to have posted this from a phone so there may be typos or odd word changes, auto correct can be a pain.

I've been listening to my kinky pencil here's my current work

My current Competition entry is here
A Cure For Stagefright

I put a little banner in here, it might change. I'm still messing about with it.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by IMPÜRETHOUGHTS

How will this marathon take place w/ this pandemic?

Or are you just running that distance?

my hope is that by the time i'm ready (late summer or maybe early fall), we'll be back to something close to normal, and events like that will be held again. if not, i'll just do the distance.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Twisted_Skald
Jake I'm so proud of you, well done you for doing something for yourself.

thanks so much. i figured i'd try to prove something to myself. biggrin
Lurker
0 likes
today's number: 1.5

cold as shit.
0 likes
You're an inspiring man amigo, I must get my ass up on the ellipse machine and get pounding too.

I used to tell students when they were afraid of an exam or a subject.

"You don't climb a mountain in one go, you climb it step by step, breath by breath. The start always feels hard, then you get moving. You start to climb higher, the ground gets steeper and you have to push harder. Then you stop to catch your breath, wondering if you will ever reach that summit, you turn around and see how far you've come, the distance you've covered, the obstacles you crossed. The challenges you faced and overcame. That summit isn't impossible to reach, a little further yet, one more effort. When you finally reach it, you can look down at what you achieved. Punch the air, shout in triumph. You defeated not only the mountain but your own Fear, your own Doubt, the limits you placed on what you could achieve."

Agnes puts it simpler.
"When facing a challenge think of it as being near a cliff. You can shake your head and walk away, or you can scream defiance and jump off the cliff. Sometimes you learn to fly before you reach the bottom, the rest of the time you feel the rush of the fall before you hit the water. You can always return to jump again, and every time you do you teach the Fear you're not going to surrender."

I believe in you, and I know you can do it.You've gone further today than you did yesterday, very proud of you.
I'm also highly likely to have posted this from a phone so there may be typos or odd word changes, auto correct can be a pain.

A Cure For Stagefright

I put a little banner in here, it might change. I'm still messing about with it.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Twisted_Skald
You're an inspiring man amigo, I must get my ass up on the ellipse machine and get pounding too.

I used to tell students when they were afraid of an exam or a subject.

"You don't climb a mountain in one go, you climb it step by step, breath by breath. The start always feels hard, then you get moving. You start to climb higher, the ground gets steeper and you have to push harder. Then you stop to catch your breath, wondering if you will ever reach that summit, you turn around and see how far you've come, the distance you've covered, the obstacles you crossed. The challenges you faced and overcame. That summit isn't impossible to reach, a little further yet, one more effort. When you finally reach it, you can look down at what you achieved. Punch the air, shout in triumph. You defeated not only the mountain but your own Fear, your own Doubt, the limits you placed on what you could achieve."

Agnes puts it simpler.
"When facing a challenge think of it as being near a cliff. You can shake your head and walk away, or you can scream defiance and jump off the cliff. Sometimes you learn to fly before you reach the bottom, the rest of the time you feel the rush of the fall before you hit the water. You can always return to jump again, and every time you do you teach the Fear you're not going to surrender."

I believe in you, and I know you can do it.You've gone further today than you did yesterday, very proud of you.

this is inspiring. thank you so much, as always. smile
0 likes
Show that road who's the Boss Jack, pound it beneath your feet.

A Cure For Stagefright

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Twisted_Skald
Show that road who's the Boss Jack, pound it beneath your feet.

i had kiddo last night, and it was cold and rainy, so no run last night. if i can get some decent weather through the weekend, i should still be able to get my 4-5 runs in this week.
0 likes
Poppa time, is special time and always to be cherished. I'm sure you will get your runs in, just letting you know I'm cheering you on.

A Cure For Stagefright

Lurker
0 likes
today's number: 1.7

just a little easier each day.
0 likes
You are fantastic. Just fantastic. Keep doing it. You're a powerhouse.

A Cure For Stagefright

Lurker
0 likes
today's number: 2.0

i only ran three times last week. four cardio days, but sunday i just couldn't bring myself to do more than a walk. i added 0.4 miles last week so i still hit my target, but it wasn't a great look for my first week.

i added a bit more than usual today since, with the holidays, i may only get 3 good runs in this week too.
Lurker
0 likes
today's number: 2.3

i started out intending to do 2.25 miles, and feeling like i'd need to walk a little of it. as i got a little farther on, i decided i wanted to hit 2.3 since that would mean i added a full mile from run 1 to run 5. that's ahead of my original goal, but i also know there will be times as those distances get longer that i just can't add any.

today i thought i'd need to walk after about the first 3/4 mile, then i got there and decided to finish the first mile. then the first 1.5, then as i got closer to 2, i figured i could make it running all the way. "running" is used very loosely here, and there's a long long way to go, but i'm happy with where i am after the first 10 days or so.
0 likes
Jack, keep going buddy!
Awesome stuff, I'm.very proud of you.

A Cure For Stagefright

Lurker
0 likes
today's number: 2.5

i'm adding every day, but i'd dang well better be, considering i'm still in the first 5k. i'm concerned that none of the run is getting any easier--i had hoped that at least the first quarter or half mile would be a breeze by now. then again, i was running on empty tonight, as i started later than planned and i hadn't eaten dinner yet. live and learn.
0 likes
Dude.. Jack.
My hat is off to you and any distance runner. I do a little sprinting, but my love is resistance training. I'm in bodybuilding.
I wish you luck! Go get it!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by tight10piece
Dude.. Jack.
My hat is off to you and any distance runner. I do a little sprinting, but my love is resistance training. I'm in bodybuilding.
I wish you luck! Go get it!

Thanks so much! I don't think I'd call myself a distance runner yet, but maybe I'll get there.

Hats right back off to you. I've done crossfit off and on, enough to know how tough resistance training can be. Anybody fighting the food fight to stay healthy and in good physical shape has my respect.
Lurker
0 likes
today's number: 2.75

it was difficult today as usual, but this was the first time in the last week or so where i never felt like i wasn't going to finish it. i hope to hit 3 miles by the end of this week, so that adding a half mile a week thereafter will put me at 7 miles by the last day of february. then i can afford to add less quickly and focus on fine-tuning for awhile.
Lurker
0 likes
today's number: 3.0

the bad news: it's not getting much easier. i was uncomfortable after the first half-mile today, and it's like that most days. old shoes, two run days in a row, poor diet and maybe not enough warmup, maybe all of these contributed. but i also wonder just how limited my body is these days. there's a long way to go to 13 miles.

the good news: i hit 3 miles before the calendar turned. 3 weeks ago i wasn't running regularly at all, and today i nearly ran a 5k. i was reasonably fit to start with, and no my pace isn't very good, but still, going into 2021 just needing to add a flat 10 miles is a big mental milestone.
0 likes
I think you're incredible, well done.
Just bloody well done.

A Cure For Stagefright

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Twisted_Skald
I think you're incredible, well done.
Just bloody well done.

thank you my dear. it's lovely to have a cheerleader. smile
Lurker
0 likes
today's number: 22 minutes

i hit my 3 mile mark earlier this week, so i used today's run to do some "speed" work. that's in quotations, because i was still slow, but i'm hoping to maybe use one run a week to do intervals and increase my pace as the runs get longer.

i hurt.
Lurker
0 likes
today's number: 3.3

bad news, i was sloooooow. i'm never fast, but my time was atrocious tonight. and i think every inch of me is frostbitten. maybe i should start wearing gloves. just a thought.

good news, i felt like i could've run another 2 miles, and without losing much off my pace. usually i'm limping to the finish, but tonight i still had gas in the tank. new shoes might've helped, or better warmup, not sure what exactly. regardless, it was encouraging to feel like i wasn't just struggling to finish.
0 likes
I got a tip that might be helpful.
Don't worry so much about how fast you get there, focus on going for longer. If your endurance improves you have the platform to build on for speed work. Running fast without endurance just leaves you a tired stiff lump in the morning.
I@m toning back my lap times to aim for longer running time, hopefully it will get rid of that damned tyre I'm carrying.

Keep going buddy, you're making me drag my ass off the couch and put down some mileage.

A Cure For Stagefright

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Twisted_Skald
I got a tip that might be helpful.
Don't worry so much about how fast you get there, focus on going for longer. If your endurance improves you have the platform to build on for speed work. Running fast without endurance just leaves you a tired stiff lump in the morning.
I@m toning back my lap times to aim for longer running time, hopefully it will get rid of that damned tyre I'm carrying.

Keep going buddy, you're making me drag my ass off the couch and put down some mileage.

You may be surprised to know how many times I've been running, and thought about stopping to walk for a bit, but I think of your posts here and I keep going.

Encourage each other, folks. It helps.
Lurker
0 likes
today's number: 3.5

pace was better today. i'm still not competing with any real runners, but the fact that my pace is getting better over longer distances (at least for today) is an encouraging sign.