Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Are you currently or have you ever contemplated suicide?

last reply
33 replies
3.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
With the recent celebrity suicides, the topic has been in the news. Almost all of the 45,000 suicides in the US every year are a result of depression and way more than half of those are undiagnosed. The biggest regret of my life is how I mishandled my interactions with my wife before her suicide. I didn't take her seriously when she told me she was going to kill herself. It was something she had threatened many times before, and my reaction to the last time she threatened it was cold, callous and completely void of empathy. So, I thought today might be a good day to ask people to share their thoughts on suicide, whether it be their own or how they've been affected by it. Do you think about killing yourself? Do you have a plan on how you are going to do it? Would you like to share what you're feeling and why you're feeling so low?

Please remember, it is usually the wrong idea to give people advice who are thinking about harming themselves. It is usually counterproductive to tell someone, "You have so many reasons to live." Unless you are a mental health professional the best thing to do is listen and suggest alternatives to suicide without being judgmental. You want to be gentle and say something like, "I think if I were feeling the way you are I might call the suicide prevention hotline."

If you feel suicidal and don't want to share it here, that is understandable. The number for the suicide prevention hotline is:
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i attempted suicide a few years back. obviously, it wasn't successful. i like to think i won't do it again after experiencing the fallout afterwards - how it effected friends and family and self. one good thing came of it - it allowed me to open up a conversation, here and IRL, on the subject, and i like to think it did some good to others.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
My great great grandfather, great grandfather, and grandfather all committed suicide, so I always wondered if there was some genetic predisposition for suicidal tendencies in my family, but my dad has so far broken the trend, and it doesn't seem to be present in females, so even at my lowest point at age 18, I never considered it.
Lurker
0 likes
Just a few comments

Emphasizing statistics can make suicide seem common and an acceptable way of coping, it’s not.
Asking someone if they feel suicidal on social media might be a little risky and could trigger thoughts of suicide and I’m not sure anyone here is prepared to deal with that situation should it occur.
Perhaps it would be more beneficial to focus on sharing positive stories about recovery (Thank you Sprite). Just a suggestion and I apologize if I seem think to critical.

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org

LS, thank you for sharing and initiating dialogue about such a complex issue.

Edit:

When I was 17, I made some vague remarks about suicide. At that time my mother was emotionally and mentally unavailable and my step fathers attention was solely on my mother. Thank god for my sister. She was determined to keep me safe and never left my side. For nearly a week, she slept in my bed, drove me to school, walked me from class to class. I only recently learned she also hid as many sharp objects and all the prescription and OTC drugs laying around our house, and there was lots. Any how.. I will always be grateful for her swift action.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Mari_25
Just a few comments

Emphasizing statistics can make suicide seem common and an acceptable way of coping, it’s not.
Asking someone if they feel suicidal on social media might be a little risky and could trigger thoughts of suicide and I’m not sure anyone here is prepared to deal with that situation should it occur.
Perhaps it would be more beneficial to focus on sharing positive stories about recovery (Thank you Sprite). Just a suggestion and I apologize if I seem think to critical.

This is a common myth that keeps people from discussing suicide. Professionals say that many fear talking about suicide will inevitably lead to more suicides. I don't know if they are right. I just go by what their advice is. And their advice is, is to talk openly and frankly about suicide. Their advice is to directly ask someone who is depressed if he or she is thinking about hurting themselves.

According to HealthGuide.org, "You don't give a suicidal person morbid ideas by talking about suicide. The opposite is true - bringing up the subject of suicide and discussing it openly is one of the most helpful things you can do."

Talking and asking about suicide actually shows that you care about the person, that you take him or her seriously and that it's okay to share his or her pain with you.
Whistling on my journey
0 likes
first to answer the question yes at my lowest in 2012 I was suicidal after my wife passed away in 2010. That coupled with my constant dread of blaming myself for getting two of my friends killed in action.

and to this day I still see my local V.A. for group discussion. with their help and the grace of God, I have learned to forgive, not only the war but myself.

a few stats from U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs (2014)
average 20+ veterans per day with 6 were users of their local V.A.
apox. 65% are age 50 or older
and 67% by the use of firearms.
VETERANS HOTLINE
So with the latest "high profile" suicides this week, suicide is in the news so PLEASE reach out listen and slow down you just might be the "one" to help one in need.

and yes I think of my two friends every day

My latest two micros

Party Dreams

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/flash-erotica/party-dreams

Jane's Need

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/flash-erotica/janes-need

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
One would think that at the age of 61, Anthony Bourdain would have developed the coping skills to have avoided committing suicide. I guess not.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by 69Kisses96
One would think that at the age of 61, Anthony Bourdain would have developed the coping skills to have avoided committing suicide. I guess not.

or, after dealing with it for however many years he dealt with whatever was going on, it just wore him out to the point of making a rash decision one day. been there, done that. dealt with some pretty heavy issues for years and years and then, one day, i just got really tired of waking up with the nightmares, wanted to be able to just close my eyes and go to sleep and not wake up in the middle of the night in terror - figured the only way to do it was to go to sleep permenantly. it wasn't me at my best. thing is, as anyone who knows me well here can attest, there wasn't any sort of warning involved. i am pretty good at just toughing or laughing my way through most stuff. and it wasn't pre-planned. it just seemed like a really good idea at the time. all it takes is something getting through that one crack in your armor, just once, and there you go.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Whistling on my journey
0 likes
Quote by 69Kisses96

sorry age has nothing to do with the ability to fend off suicide

My latest two micros

Party Dreams

Jane's Need

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by 69Kisses96

Yes, everyone knows depression ends when you get on Medicare...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by fuzzy1954

sorry age has nothing to do with the ability to fend off suicide

I totally Disagree! At least at the younger years! True, suicidal thoughts can happen at any age, but YES the ability to fend off suicide can and does change with age. Young people, especially teenagers can believe the life is hopeless and that it will never get better. That second half is the key! As we get older, most people realize that there is always a chance that things will get better. As we get older we realize that there is more to gain then lose, by sticking around.
Whistling on my journey
0 likes
Quote by BornToSurf

I totally Disagree! At least at the younger years! True, suicidal thoughts can happen at any age, but YES the ability to fend off suicide can and does change with age. Young people, especially teenagers can believe the life is hopeless and that it will never get better. That second half is the key! As we get older, most people realize that there is always a chance that things will get better. As we get older we realize that there is more to gain then lose, by sticking around.

you have good thoughts that the young are at most danger, but I still must disagree as with the last two "stars are both in their 50's and 60's. and they are not the exception but are the "new norm" sadly to say IMO

still I repeat to reach out to any of your friends for suicide does not come?end with a age group.

also read up on the alarming rate of veterans that take their lives each day

My latest two micros

Party Dreams

Jane's Need

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BornToSurf

How do you know age solves suicidal issues and it isn’t that people who would be likely to take their life later in life are no longer alive because they already committed suicide when they were younger?

Not that stats really help anyone who are suffering from depression but I think it is dangerous to just blindly make assumptions about the age of people who commit suicide. Here are the facts. In 2016, the highest suicide rate (19.72) was among adults between 45 and 54 years of age. The second highest rate (18.98).

When you suggest that older people should have better skills to cope with depression that only makes people who are older and suffer from depression feel more shame about their current plight. To those who are older and have thoughts of suicide you are not abnormal or weak. There’s no reason to feel any shame associated with your current mental well being.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by LovingSadist

How do you know age solves suicidal issues and it isn’t that people who would be likely to take their life later in life are no longer alive because they already committed suicide when they were younger?

Not that stats really help anyone who are suffering from depression but I think it is dangerous to just blindly make assumptions about the age of people who commit suicide. Here are the facts. In 2016, the highest suicide rate (19.72) was among adults between 45 and 54 years of age. The second highest rate (18.98).

When you suggest that older people should have better skills to cope with depression that only makes people who are older and suffer from depression feel more shame about their current plight. To those who are older and have thoughts of suicide you are not abnormal or weak. There’s no reason to feel any shame associated with your current mental well being.

I Never said that age solves suicidal issues! I said that as we grow older, in general, people learn to cope with those tendencies better. There are always exceptions.
0 likes
The elderly have the second highest rates of suicide behind middle-aged white males.

As for the original question, I think contemplation of suicide is fairly normal - we see it all the time in the movies and books, its natural to think of it ourselves. But thinking about it is a far different thing from actually wanting to do it (let alone having a plans and means to carry them out). Yes, I've contemplated suicide, but I've never really wanted to actively take my own life, even at the worst of my depression - and I count myself lucky for that, having known so many people who have wanted to, and a few who succeeded.

Don't believe everything that you read.

Convict
0 likes
Quote by BornToSurf

I disagree with this too sorry. Suicidal people are the ones who don’t realise there is always a chance things will get better. The older ones have lived with that feeling of hopelessness for longer. A person who commits suicide is someone who has no hope for the future, and/or no hope that mental or physical pain will ever end. They truly believe there is nothing good in the world for them and never will be. That feeling overwhelms them. They get to a place where they can’t live with that hopelessness for one more minute.

I attempted suicide when I was ... (a teen, not sure if I can say the age). Luckily my mother found me. I almost did it again when I was 25. I was right there ready to do it and the thought of my mother finding me again pulled me out of it and I sought help.

If you think you are depressed, or thinking of taking your own life, please REACH OUT to somebody. There is always someone to talk to.

In AUSTRALIA you can contact

LIFELINE 13 11 44 ANYTIME 24/7
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Wow this thread is so hot!

Just kidding. Seriously though. When I’ve been hit with “I’m killing myself”... the best thing to do is to put the onus on them. It sounds cold hearted, but I knew what I was doing. You tell these people, “what you do is your choice and whatever you decide to do I will not consider it my fault at all, it is your choice. I will hate you for doing it and I will forget you in time. Maybe even a short time.” People that want to kill themselves want to make the world know what they are losing. Especially people they love, they want to make you feel as bad as they do. If you beg them and let them know that you can’t function without them, it’s worse than telling them you don’t care. It sounds fucked up but you gotta let them know that what they’re doing is their own bullshit and that it’s not going to affect you like they think.

It sounds really cold hearted... I know. It doesn’t apply to veterans, that's a whole different bowl of American stew. But like people in your life hitting you with this card. Hit them back with that. It works.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by fuzzy1954
first to answer the question yes at my lowest in 2012 I was suicidal after my wife passed away in 2010. That coupled with my constant dread of blaming myself for getting two of my friends killed in action.

and to this day I still see my local V.A. for group discussion. with their help and the grace of God, I have learned to forgive, not only the war but myself.

a few stats from U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs (2014)
average 20+ veterans per day with 6 were users of their local V.A.
apox. 65% are age 50 or older
and 67% by the use of firearms.
VETERANS HOTLINE
So with the latest "high profile" suicides this week, suicide is in the news so PLEASE reach out listen and slow down you just might be the "one" to help one in need.

and yes I think of my two friends every day

Goddamn man. That’s really tough. You’re really tough. Beyond tough. That would break most men.

Making peace with that is beyond inspirational (there really isn’t a good word) but the best I can come up with is inspirational. You’re a real man.
The Creep
0 likes
Quote by BornToSurf

I Never said that age solves suicidal issues! I said that as we grow older, in general, people learn to cope with those tendencies better. There are always exceptions.

Cope up? Have you considered the fight never stops as we grow old? It's one's self, the enemy here, the convincing evil voice in one's head. Some people are lucky to have never hit the waves or survived the waves but some are drowning even if they tried very hard to survive. It is an everyday fight for survival. Empathy and kindness are not hard to give and carelessness with one's word too.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
0 likes
Quote by 69Kisses96

I believe that is a callous statement.

I watched my son graduate high school, this week, without his Dad. I sat there next to my in-laws, feeling extremely proud of him and still felt an overwhelming sense of sadness knowing his Dad was not here to witness this milestone.

About three months after his death, I was having a horrible day. The grief was unbearable (I thought) and for a few moments I thought "why not", he did. It was a brief moment that scared the hell out of me. I never would have believed myself capable of those thoughts. It's not a place I have visited again.

Suicide, no matter the age, is something we can not fully understand. We often do not see the helplessness our friends and loved ones are going through or the turmoil going through their minds.

We should never condemn people for making such a heartbreaking final decision. Mental illness is an undeniably complicated matter. It is not something to dismiss as, "poor coping skills".

The stigma and callous thoughts surrounding suicide are something that need to change.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I simply meant that as you get older, you get more experience in dealing with different situations and are less prone to foolish and rash decisions. The demographics for suicides tend to be on the younger side.
0 likes
Quote by 69Kisses96
The demographics for suicides tend to be on the younger side.

No. You are wrong. Stop repeating this false claim.

Don't believe everything that you read.

0 likes
Quote by 69Kisses96

So people with "coping skills" don't commit suicide or have suicidal ideation? Where did you earn your M.D., exactly?

Last I checked "coping skills" can include self-medication with alcohol, legal and illegal drugs, and self-harm. Not great, those ones. Both of my grandfathers committed suicide; both had what we now call PTSD (or PTSI if you're more current on your medical education). Did they lack coping skills? No. Both came home from WWII, both having been German POWs, and both hid their depression and other symptoms as best they could until, as my Grammie said about my maternal grandfather, who was paralysed from the waist down after being shot in the back while attempting to escape a POW camp, "the Germans finally got him". Sure, it was thirty-odd years later, but hey, according to you, my maternal grandfather should have developed "coping skills".

Must be nice being so blithely ignorant. Must also be nice to so easily and in such a backhanded manner blame Bourdain for failing to seek help.

Me, personally, although I do have garden-variety depression and anxiety disorder, I have never experienced suicidal ideation. I don't think it's something you can truly understand until you've experienced it, is my guess.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

0 likes
Sometimes, nothing helps. Sometimes, all it takes it a little alcohol to lower your inhibitions about suicide.

I think modern wisdom, of treating it like a disease, is a good idea. Although people like to place blame. Even with diabetes, I hear people say, "Well, they didn't take care of their disease." This is usually from people who have no idea what "taking care of their disease" entails. Add to that, the stigma around mental illness and depression, and people are left feeling like they must be just bad at coping.

I have contemplated suicide. I did a lot in my teens, didn't much through young adulthood, but much more in the last 4-5 years. I'm in my early 40's.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mari_25
Just a few comments

Edit:

When I was 17, I made some vague remarks about suicide. At that time my mother was emotionally and mentally unavailable and my step fathers attention was solely on my mother. Thank god for my sister. She was determined to keep me safe and never left my side. For nearly a week, she slept in my bed, drove me to school, walked me from class to class. I only recently learned she also hid as many sharp objects and all the prescription and OTC drugs laying around our house, and there was lots. Any how.. I will always be grateful for her swift action.

I totally support your position Mari! Please tell your sister I love her.
Lurker
0 likes
I have tried more than once.

It wasn't for attention. It was for real.

My past growing up was a complete nightmare.

I was beaten, starved, neglected, tortured and such.

I still think about it. I still want to sometimes.

And when I got older, I was hurt very badly again.

I am strong, I am a fighter. But it's hard to fight when you carry around these million pound burdens alone.

I first thought about it and wanted to as a teenager.