Any runners on Lush?

last reply
79 replies
8.4k views
3 watchers
12 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I am hoping to run some half marathons this year, am up to doing 10ks quite well...wondering if anyone else is doing similar
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by thekeenreader
I am hoping to run some half marathons this year, am up to doing 10ks quite well...wondering if anyone else is doing similar

Are you taking the fucking piss?

xx SF

(IT IS A JOKE!!!)
Lurker
0 likes
I am definitely trying
Site administrator
0 likes

I am doing a full one .. yes ok very old joke I know.
The Linebacker
0 likes
When training for a half-marathon, I run 5 miles a day Monday thru Friday, and on Saturdays build up each time until I am doing 14 miles each Saturday for a month before the race. During all that I take Sundays off from running.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Buz
When training for a half-marathon, I run 5 miles a day Monday thru Friday, and on Saturdays build up each time until I am doing 14 miles each Saturday for a month before the race. During all that I take Sundays off from running.

So, to train for a half-marathon, you run half-marathons?
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by clum

So, to train for a half-marathon, you run half-marathons?

Precisely. You have to build up to that in increments, but one needs to be already running that distance once a week for about a month before the actual race. But only once a week. More than that could easily lead to injuries, especially tendonitis.

Of course, it all depends on what one's goal is. If it's simply to run in and finish the half-marathon, you can build your once a week long run up to just doing 13 miles once before the actual race. I get into it pretty hard so I like to push myself hard and see how well I can do, so I train a little more aggresively. But at the same time, I don't want to get hurt and not be able to run at all.

* 5 miles a day, Monday through Friday or any 5 consecutive day period.
* Saturday extend the miles each Saturday (or the 6th day) until doing 14 miles (about a month before the race). Only one long run per week. Look at the calendar. Start training in time to extend the long run by one mile each time until I've reached my 14 mile target.
* Take a break the day after the long run and let the legs & feet rest and recover.

In training for a half marathon, one should arrange their training schedule so that the half-marathon is close to the day of the week they would be doing their long run anyway.

Most races like that are held on Saturdays, so I've always done my long run on Saturdays. However, some half-marathons, as well as marathons, are held on holidays. Just make sure you don't do your long runs too close together.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I ran for years, until my MCL ligament finally gave out last year, and I had to have surgery to correct it. But my doctors advised me to take up a less stressful activity, so I'm a swimmer now.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Buz
Precisely. You have to build up to that in increments, but one needs to be already running that distance once a week for about a month before the actual race. But only once a week. More than that could easily lead to injuries, especially tendonitis.

I get the idea of building up your stamina, I guess I just don't understand running. What is actually being achieved by running that "official" half-marathon, when you've already run at least four of them in the last month?

I could understand if you were building it up over weeks and months, and then the final event was when you ran that distance for the first time. I can even understand your training regime if you happen to enjoy running and want to keep fit and healthy. I just don't know what you get out of that final half-marathon, the level of fitness required for which you already achieved a month ago.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by clum

I get the idea of building up your stamina, I guess I just don't understand running. What is actually being achieved by running that "official" half-marathon, when you've already run at least four of them in the last month?

I could understand if you were building it up over weeks and months, and then the final event was when you ran that distance for the first time. I can even understand your training regime if you happen to enjoy running and want to keep fit and healthy. I just don't know what you get out of that final half-marathon, the level of fitness required for which you already achieved a month ago.

For several, it is a competition, a race to compete in. Why does anyone compete over and over again? They want to get better at it and improve their time or to win. To get good enough to compete to win, you generally have to do it more than once. Some are competing against the other racers, some just against their previous best time. They do give out awards to the winners.

For others just finishing it, like you said, is enough. It all depends on what you want to get out of it.

I have run in about a dozen or more half-marathons. Training for those is a great way to maintain my physical conditioning and I have neen able to compete for 'amatuer' awards. However, I have only done one full marathon. At that distance, I didn't run the full distance before the race. One of those was enough. smile

Not everyone can keep the running up over time. Like Bethany mentioning above, developing MCL problems. I do know some people who have run for decades without issues but others have to give it up because of the strain on joints. Swimming and bicycling are excellent alternatives. And yes, they have competitions in those too.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Buz
For several, it is a competition, a race to compete in. Why does anyone compete over and over again? They want to get better at it and improve their time or to win. To get good enough to compete to win, you generally have to do it more than once. Some are competing against the other racers, some just against their previous best time. They do give out awards to the winners.

You don't need to enter a race to beat your own time—you just time yourself.

Competitive running, fair enough. I don't get the appeal, but sure.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by clum

You don't need to enter a race to beat your own time—you just time yourself.

Competitive running, fair enough. I don't get the appeal, but sure.

It feels much better having done it officially and under race conditions. And you earn the t-shirt. If you placed in the top 3 of your age division, you usually get a trophy or certificate.

It's just whatever appeals to you. All of us are different.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
I ran for years, until my MCL ligament finally gave out last year, and I had to have surgery to correct it. But my doctors advised me to take up a less stressful activity, so I'm a swimmer now.

I'm assuming of course that you meant to say NUDE swimming???
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've run all my life, because I like it and to stay in shape. Also there isn't a better feeling in the world when you finish and recover from a tough run. Never did get into the competitive side of it although I did a triathlon 3 years ago just to see what it was like. I like to run alone off road, mostly on trails to enjoy the solitude. Just cycling this summer my calf muscles are giving me trouble when I run.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I do.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I do. I run 4 miles about 3 times a week, 10k once a week and a long run on the weekend. I have run 4 minis and one full marathon. Started running late in life and wish I would have started when I was younger. Oh well. Lost 65 pounds, dropped 4 pants sizes, 2 shirt sizes and I am medication free! I am always looking forward to my next race!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I have been running all my life it seems. Cross country in HS and college, then 12 years ago, after my first wife passed away, I started running again, first 5K, then 10k, next to half marathons and have run in three marathons. I run everyday, weather permitting, along Lake Michigan. I don't do bad for a 54 year old man, beat many people who are years younger than I am. My training partner is 20 years younger than me and I keep up with him.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I used to run 4k every other day and 6-10k on the weekends.5LRJ6ejR9lqk3gTs

Ran the half marathon in tel aviv and twice the 10k in the jerusalem marathon (56 min + 54 min).

Then I slipped a disk in my back and can no longer run anymore - the stress is just too much for my back.

I really miss running...
Lurker
0 likes
It's as essential for my health as sleeping. I don't run that often, maybe three times a week, but what it does for my mental well-being is priceless. It also keeps my body nice and trim.

At my best, I have ran 5k in 21.20 (sure that was a fluke as I've never been near that before or since), 10k at 44.00 and a half marathon at about 1:40:00. Bit slower over the last year I've had knee problems I've had to wean myself back from.
Story Verifier
1 like
I have signed up for a race next weekend. First one in a long time. Really looking forward to it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I finished three marathons and one ultra-marathon this year. I might not be fast, but I had a blast doing them!
Story Verifier
0 likes
Quote by TheMrBurns
I finished three marathons and one ultra-marathon this year. I might not be fast, but I had a blast doing them!

That is super impressive! Well done you! Quite the achievement smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sweet_as_candy

That is super impressive! Well done you! Quite the achievement smile

Thanks! The last two were three weeks apart which was brutal but felt amazing to finish. What length are you doing?
Head Nurse
0 likes
late to the party, but I run a fair bit. I'm an Ironman, a marathoner, and will be doing at least 2 full marathons this year, as well as potentially an ultra, an ironman, and representing the US at Spain for ITU world championships.

I'm not fast, but I get there.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I have run sprints at a local university track for several years. In the last few months, I have incorporated sprints into Tabata training and am quite pleased with my progress.
Lurker
0 likes
I did a half marathon a couple of years back and a short 3 mile run this year for Macmillan.
Lurker
0 likes
Yep. I ran 10 km Race for Life in June 2018. We (nurses) raised £675 for Cancer Research.