big stuff on the Sun today

last reply
7 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Not sure what this is...solar prominence? The .gif is labeled as a twister, but...at its peak it lifted 350,000 kilometers off the surface.

The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Lurker
0 likes
Reminds me of a tornado.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Is that cool or what!
Fantasy: imagination unrestrained by reality; fulfilling a need not gratified in the real world
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
that is called solar flare. it is bits of the sun exploding and due to the intense gravity it has the flare settles back to the sun. this has effects on the earth as well
Matriarch
0 likes
How long is there to go before the sun burns itself out and the human race dies out?

Edit: We have a few years left yet, pollution / viruses / hunger / zombies will have wiped us out long before this happens:

The Sun's current age, determined using computer models of stellar evolution and nucleocosmochronology, is thought to be about 4.57 billion years. The Sun is about halfway through its main-sequence evolution, during which nuclear fusion reactions in its core fuse hydrogen into helium. Each second, more than 4 million tonnes of matter are converted into energy within the Sun's core, producing neutrinos and solar radiation. The Sun will spend a total of approximately 10 billion years as a main sequence star.

The Sun does not have enough mass to explode as a supernova. Instead, in 4-5 billion years, it will enter a red giant phase, its outer layers expanding as the hydrogen fuel in the core is consumed and the core contracts and heats up. Helium fusion will begin when the core temperature reaches about 3×108 K. While it is likely that the expansion of the outer layers of the Sun will reach the current position of Earth's orbit, recent research suggests that mass lost from the Sun earlier in its red giant phase will cause the Earth's orbit to move further out, preventing it from being engulfed. However, Earth's water and most of the atmosphere will be boiled away.

Following the red giant phase, intense thermal pulsations will cause the Sun to throw off its outer layers, forming a planetary nebula. The only object that remains after the outer layers are ejected is the extremely hot stellar core, which will slowly cool and fade as a white dwarf over many billions of years. This stellar evolution scenario is typical of low- to medium-mass stars.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Erm, pardon me, but isn't this kinda how the movie 2012 started?

Should I pack my bags and head for the Himalayas now?
"Whoa, lady, I only speak two languages, English and bad English." - Korben Dallas, from The Fifth Element

"If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience?" - George Bernard Shaw