Skincare 101

last reply
112 replies
15.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
“And like flowers in the fields, that make wonderful views, when we stand side-by-side in our wonderful hues..

We all make a beauty so wonderfully true.
We are special and different, and just the same, too!

So whenever you look at your beautiful skin, from your wiggling toes to your giggling grin...

Think how lucky you are that the skin you live in, so beautifully holds the "You" who's within.”

― Michael Tyler, The Skin You Live In

What is your skincare regimen?

What skincare lines have you used or what would you recommend? Has it made a difference to your skin?
Do you have any skincare tips or tricks to share?
Have you made home-made masks, moisturizing mists or sugar scrubs that worked well?
Have you ever tried micro-dermabrasion, products for hyperpigmentation, chemical peels? What did you think of the results?
How religious are you about using SPF on the face and staying out of the sun?
This can cover anything from great acne-formulas for oily skin all the way up to wrinkle/line management or cosmetic procedures.

Please share and discuss!

Big-haired Bitch/Personality Hire
0 likes
There's this bohemian-style health/beauty blogger that I swear by. Her name is Francheska and she has tips for everything from what goes inside your body to what goes outside of it. EVERYTHING she recommends is organic and 98% homemade, which I love. Particularly, her skin tips have literally changed my life. And no, I'm not exaggerating. I haven't used anything on my skin that isn't homemade (other than makeup and daily cleansers), whether it was made by me or someone else, in years.

Here's the skin care section of her blog.

For other inside-out beauty tips, her full blog is here.

As for me, I personally like the oil-cleansing method. And I had apprehensions about it. As she says in her video, I thought putting oil directly onto your face was counter productive. For the most part, I've always had shitty skin. It never appeared that way because I do so many things to make it not seem as shitty as it appears. But this oil-cleansing method is like a detox for your skin. I've been doing it for a little over two years now, and my skin has LITERALLY not been the same. It's amazing.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I will have to check her out, Dani. Maybe I can pick up a few tips and tricks. The idea of oil-cleansing does freak me out a bit though. I would have thought that was a surefire way to breakouts. Or maybe it just depends on the type of oil used.

I've used a bunch of different skin care stuff over the years but my fave brand has always been Kiehl's - simple packaging and great products.

So I use:

Ultra Facial Cleanser

Ultra Facial Moisturizer with SPF

The Avocado Eye Treatment:

And their Pineapple Papaya Scrub which literally gets rave reviews of 5 stars everywhere and is a huge blockbuster seller for them. It's amazing. This has been my staple scrub since university days.

I do like a bit of a tan, but I always put SPF on my face so it stays a bit lighter. If I'm in the sun even for a short while, my face tans wayyyy faster than the rest of my body so I am extra careful about it.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Much as I love my products, I don't really keep a lot of skincare products. I wash my face with soap(oil of olay) and occasionally use a lotion. I use creamy baby oil on the rest of my skin to keep it hydrated.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm an oil cleansing method convert too. I use castor and almond oil, and I love it! And after years of meticulously stripping every bit of oil from my face with pricey cleansers and toners, my skin seems pretty happy now.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I'm a man, but still take good care of my skin. Sorry if that sounds gay or metrosexual...

Here's what I use :

Cleanser : Acne.org Cleanser, morning and night.

Moisturizer : None, my face is naturally oily. The use of moisturizers is debatable according to some experts.

Sunscreen : Neutrogena Sheer Touch SPF 30. Sun is your #1 ennemy for aging. This product prevents from having a shinny face.

Wrinkles, Anti-Aging, Acne : Alpha-hydroxy-acid (AHA), glycolic acid 10%. Only product (along with retinol) proven effective for wrinkles.

Puffy Eyes : Preparation H, very serious. This constricts blood vessels and is a long kept secret for many models/actors.

To make sure the products you use don't make more harm than good, use this link to evaluate their ingredients (use Analyze Cosmetic) :

cosdna.com/eng/ingredients.php (for some reason the original link kept disappearing after I posted)

Simply search for your product's ingredients online, copy, paste into the box and voila! They also have a database of popular products. If any harmful ingredient is found in the 5 first listed, beware. Products down the list don't matter as much, as their concentration is very low.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
To those who don't take sun damage seriously, here's the picture of a truck driver that had his left side exposed to sun much more than his right side :

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

Puffy Eyes : Preparation H, very serious. This constricts blood vessels and is a long kept secret for many models/actors.

Oh - I've heard about this trick. I haven't tried it before, but I've always wondered about it. Might be worth picking some up to have on hand.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
To those who don't take sun damage seriously, here's the picture of a truck driver that had his left side exposed to sun much more than his right side :

Yikes. That's scary! It's a great pic to show the difference though.
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
I'm a man, but still take good care of my skin. Sorry if that sounds gay or metrosexual...

There's nothing gay or metro about taking care of your skin.

0 likes
Matcha Tea & Skin

A while ago, Dancing_Doll posted about the awesomeness of matcha tea, and I got excited because I didn't feel like the only weirdo in the world who finds weird shit and is fascinated with it. Not saying that matcha tea is weird. It's quite the opposite. Here's Ashleigh's original post about this wonderful tea. Not only is it an awesome tea and good for you internally, but it's also great for your skin.

Here's a tidbit of info I found online about Matcha tea and why it's so great for your skin:

Due to it’s fine, talc-like consistency, Matcha green tea powder is perfect for topical applications such a facial/body masks, cleansers, toners, and scrubs.

Depending on the grade of Matcha used, the particle size ranges from approx. 4 – 9 microns. These fine particles penetrate the top layers of the skin, and readily impart the healing benfits of green tea when applied directly.

Top 5 effects of matcha on skin:

1. Anti-oxidant/angi-aging – due to its extremely high level of anti-oxidants. (the highest ORAC rating food)
2. Anti-inflammatory – due to the caffeine and catechins
3. Anti-microbial – eliminates blemishes and acne
4. Anti-cancer/fights sun damage – powerful cancer fighting constituents (EGCG)
5. Mildly exfoliant and detoxifying – particle size and high chlorophyll content

If you enjoy playing around with scrubs and masks, then matcha tea powder is perfect for you. You can easily incorporate it with any facial mask or scrub recipe you use, and it'll come out great.

The simplest mask is just a bit of water or aloe gel with some of the tea powder to make a sort of paste that's an EXCELLENT and one-step mask. It really is amazing stuff.

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Oh - I've heard about this trick. I haven't tried it before, but I've always wondered about it. Might be worth picking some up to have on hand.

Actually there's nothing really magical or fantastic about it, but it helps. Dark circles are probably the most major flaw on my face, so I use any trick that comes in handy.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by slipperywhenwet2012

There's nothing gay or metro about taking care of your skin.

actually, guys, here's a hint... it's nice to be with a guy who takes care of his skin, isn't dirty, greasy, have a bit of an odor, whose lips are nice to kiss, not broken or rough, and who looks good with the lights on, also, who cares enough about him self to take care of his skin. doesn't have to be crazy, but it is usually a sign that they take care of them selves all over, eat healthy, excersize, and keep a good positive attitude - those are all very sexy to me. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
For the last few years I have been just washing my face with water and a microfiber washcloth and moisturizing with coconut oil.

I love how my skin feels and looks.
Sophisticate
0 likes
I use Clinique products and some from other companies. The best thing you can do for your skin is keep it clean and the best way to do that is with a Clarisonic device and your favourite cleanser. Literally one minute morning and night. Best money I ever spent on skincare.

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I've had many problems with my skin growing up- I started getting acne around 8 y/o. I've tried so many different creams, tablets and remedies and most haven't worked! My tips would be: wash your face twice a day (morning and night), sudocreme on break outs, moisturise your skin well but cleanse after and drink plenty of water. As for my body I exfoliate then moisturise with coconut oil or cocobutter.

My favourite foundation is no 7 true match
Favourite mascara is again no 7
My favourite bronzer is Avon Arabian balls
And my favourite face balm is clarins beauty flash balm
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by LusciousLola
For the last few years I have been just washing my face with water and a microfiber washcloth and moisturizing with coconut oil.

I tried one of those microfibre washcloths (LOVED the idea of quick!!) .... unfortunately, my skin is naturally too dry and it caused my skin to flake ....

I now switch up my face skin regime depending on the season and stick with two brands:

L'Occitane's FaceCare regime ... and MeaningfulBeauty (go ahead, laugh .... but their neck/décollage creme is fabulous!!)

I find my skin adapts too well sometimes and switching it up after a few months (or depending on the weather) seems to be best in keeping my skin feeling healthy!

With the rest of my skin, I always wash using Dove (body wash/soap bars). I try new moisturizing products all the time (love though, L'Occitane's body moisturizers or Clarins body skin products) ... I am a bit of a moisturizer-whore ....
0 likes
Quote by principessa
I use Clinique products and some from other companies. The best thing you can do for your skin is keep it clean and the best way to do that is with a Clarisonic device and your favourite cleanser. Literally one minute morning and night. Best money I ever spent on skincare.

Yes. The Clarisonic is awesome. It's deep cleaning and not at all abrasive. It pretty much lasts forever as long as you replace the heads.

Wild at Heart
0 likes
I see an esthetician whenever I can. Whenever I am anywhere that has a spa I get a facial. Locally, I try to get one once a month. Every dude should. It's pretty fun and relaxing. Your face (and neck/chest/arms) feel fucking amazing and look great for weeks after. It's really not that expensive for the benefits. In between I just wash my face with some kind of facial soap.
Lurker
0 likes
I don't do an awful lot with my skin, I'm pretty lazy when it comes to such things.

I use a high factor of sun cream on my face (30+ during the Summer and at least 15 in the Winter.)
St.Ives microbead facial scrub.
Cheap and cheerful cleanser.
Basic moisturisers for my face and body - I'm using a Vaseline one at the moment which leaves my skin feeling really soft and isn't greasy at all.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Here's the skin care section of her blog.

For other inside-out beauty tips, her full blog is here.

Thanks for sharing this women's videos, she's got some really cool ideas. I'm always excited when I find new organic things to use on my face and skin. She seems pretty legit.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

Moisturizer : None, my face is naturally oily. The use of moisturizers is debatable according to some experts.

Sunscreen : Neutrogena Sheer Touch SPF 30. Sun is your #1 ennemy for aging. This product prevents from having a shinny face.

Wrinkles, Anti-Aging, Acne : Alpha-hydroxy-acid (AHA), glycolic acid 10%. Only product (along with retinol) proven effective for wrinkles.

Just a quick update to let you know that I edited my previous routine, as I changed my cleanser from Cetaphil to the Acne.org Cleanser. I previously used the Alpha-hydroxy-acid (AHA) from Acne.org, and decided to order a bottle of their cleanser to try it out.

It is much better than Cetaphil (which is already a more than decent product) ; it takes care of any oil and leaves my skin soft without any sensation of stinging. I highly recommend Acne.org products if you have oily or acne prone skin ; all their ingredients are non-irritating and non-comedogenic, and the price is fair enough, especially if you buy the bigger bottles. They also sell Jojoba Oil for a cheap price, though I never felt the need to use or buy it.

I'll still use Cetaphil for my back and chest because I get occasional zits there, especially now that I'm bulking.

http://www.danielkern.com/

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Just a quick update to ask a question : do you girls think it's necessary to moisturize the complete body?

I had some girlfriends who did this 30 min before going to bed, but always wondered if it was really necessary.

Would you recommend it for a man? Also, could I use a cheaper moisturizer than the ones used for the face?

Thanks.
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
Just a quick update to ask a question : do you girls think it's necessary to moisturize the complete body?

I had some girlfriends who did this 30 min before going to bed, but always wondered if it was really necessary.

Would you recommend it for a man? Also, could I use a cheaper moisturizer than the ones used for the face?

Thanks.

Keeping your body moisturized is of utmost importance. It prevents so many other skin problems. It helps any scars heal much quicker. It keeps the skin hydrated. Most lotions will do. I stay away from the overly fragrant stuff, so nothing too expensive, but nourishing. I use Aveeno on a regular basis. Sometimes I just use coconut oil or a body butter or a body smoothie that I make myself. I do own expensive stuff, I won't lie. But only when the ingredients are all natural.

Keeping your entire body moisturized simply means keeping all of your skin hydrated and nourished. And yes, it's important for men too. As I said, a simple body lotion will do just fine. Lubriderm or Aveeno or anything of the sort should do it.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I tend to change my facial regimen about every 3-5 months otherwise my skin becomes immune to whatever I'm using and therefore becomes ineffective. I usually do a rotation between Clinique (their Adult Acne line), Artistry and TimeWise by Mary Kay. My regimen is the full wash/cleanse as well as anti-aging elements. In addition to my skin care routine, I have been using the Tria Skin Rejuvenating Laser which is amazing and well worth the $500 investment!

More recently, I happen to catch an episode of Dr. Oz one afternoon when I was home early from work where the show talked about the BEST anti-aging 'secrets' as revealed by the top plastic surgeons in the country. The secret? Topical vitamin C mixed with a few drops of Rose Hip oil. Guess what I went out and bought the next day?

Apart from purchasing a time machine that will transport me back to 1993, I have no complaints with any of the results of what I've been using and think I look pretty okay for my age

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

Thanks.

Definitely! I am constantly moisturizing. I've known a lot of guys that don't bother with it at all (actually I also know girls that don't bother with a full-body moisturizer either) but I find it makes a huge difference - my skin is always soft and well hydrated.

I would recommend either of these - easiest and best when it's first thing out of the shower.

Alaffia Everyday Shea - it comes in unscented and also some light non-girly scents like vanilla or lavender. Available at Whole Foods or online at places like well.ca for about $15 for a big 950ml bottle that definitely lasts. It's light, absorbent and non-greasy.

And also one of my faves for the quality (although it's definitely pricey by comparison) - the Kiehl's Creme de Corps. It's also unscented and extremely hydrating. Great for the winter or to keep on hand if you have any problem areas or dry patches. A little goes a long way.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

As for me, I personally like the oil-cleansing method. And I had apprehensions about it. As she says in her video, I thought putting oil directly onto your face was counter productive.

I've been cleaning my fae with oil for about eight years now, and I do swear by it. However, the urban girl in me isnt quite brave enough to forgo my products- I use this, and has kept my skin looking amazing:

I'm prone to hyper pigmentation, so sunblock is a religion for me. On top of that, I do actually use the serum and the cream in the same series. It contains a high concentration of Vitamin C to help break up the spots. It's a little pricey, but absolutely worth the cost and its the only thing I'll let near my face.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Wow - thank you so very much slipperywhenwet2012 and Dancing_Doll. I posted my question before going to sleep... now I just woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't fall back asleep, and you already answered kindly while I was sleeping. You're my guardian angels!

I'll look for a simple moisturizer containing Vit-E at my local pharmacy.

Also girls, I don't do this myself because I'm quite satisfied with what I already use for my face, but you can buy different concentrated serums at Amazon containing rarer ingredients that you would find only in very expansive products (peptides, vit C, hyaluronic acid, etc). What you can do is simply buy a cheaper product (moisturizer, etc) and add a serum of your choice in it to obtain a high quality product.

Watts Beauty has good reviews on Amazon :

Peptides / Hyaluronic Acid Complex

Hyaluronic Acid / Vitamin C / L Arginine Complex

You can basically choose the serum/complex of your choice according to what ingredients and properties you're seeking.

Maybe I'll try adding peptides in one of my creams in the future.

Thanks again!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

This looks like an old woman to me.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

Here's what I use :

To make sure the products you use don't make more harm than good, use this link to evaluate their ingredients (use Analyze Cosmetic) :

cosdna.com/eng/ingredients.php (for some reason the original link kept disappearing after I posted)

Simply search for your product's ingredients online, copy, paste into the box and voila! They also have a database of popular products. If any harmful ingredient is found in the 5 first listed, beware. Products down the list don't matter as much, as their concentration is very low.
The box does state that it works on assholes.XaMcxJ1yOhDtlJ1B