Promiscuous or Slut

last reply
60 replies
6.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Is there a difference between being a slut and being promiscuous?
If there is, where is the boundary?
If there isn't, why does "slut" sound so much worse?
0 likes
Because it is a four letter word found more in street parlance while promiscuous is a long, hard to spell word that is more likely to be seen in writing than casual conversation? Much like the difference between "fuck" and "intercourse". Both refer the same act but one is definitely more colloquial and "dirtier". Also, slut can more specifically mean "prostitute" rather than just "promiscuous person" so picks up disrepute from that association. Whether prostitutes should be seen as more disreputable than other promiscuous persons is a whole other issue (I don't think so), but they often are.

Just some quick thoughts with no research behind them beyond life experience.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
Just some quick thoughts with no research behind them beyond life experience.

Even without research, I think that your answer was quite accurate...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by TonyZ

Even without research, I think that your answer was quite accurate...

So you think I was a promiscuous slut for all those years.

I thought I was just looking for Mr Right, like buying a new car and test driving every available model, only to find you don't want any of them
0 likes
Quote by dpw

I thought I was just looking for Mr Right, like buying a new car and test driving every available model, only to find you don't want any of them

One person's promiscuity is another person's quest for happiness, I guess. Sometimes wish I'd done a few more test drives before settling on a model.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by dpw

I do not judge anyone... how could I when I have also tested and continue to test a million models? Isn't testing part of the quest?
Lurker
0 likes
To be truthful I did not think about it. Again it seems with have to label something. Why?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This is just a general thought regarding both terms. They probably denote or connote the same thing. I just find it incredibly interesting that the sense of the word promiscuous is more general and less gender specific where as the term slut is usually associated with females. And of course therefore it carries a far more pejorative sound and sense. Imagine the conversation, "Well you know Pete, that bitch is nothing but a slut." Of course that is Pete and Joe, or whomever. Now imagine the conversation in mixed company. "Well, you know, *significant looks to the mixed company, "she is rather promiscuous." Of course that is just a musing type of thought. I am not suggesting that gay men don't call each other sluts, (since i have never heard two gay men talk about another man to each other.) I think the definition of the two terms is more gender oriented that's all. In other words, i agree with the first definition in the postings. There is of course another sense. And that is when one is judging someone on the basis of their sexual conduct. Then the term becomes more a term that suggests that the other is far worse than the one who is judging. Sort of encased in hypocrisy. lol
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Neither. Both of them sound like judgements.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by curvygalore

I agree.
Lurker
0 likes
I prefer to use the phrase "Overly friendly at the right times!"
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by curvygalore

Not neccessarily because I'm looking at myself, I'm not judging myself or others.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by kjuliek
I prefer to use the phrase "Overly friendly at the right times!"

I might have been a bit too overly friendly on an epic scale!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

I might have been a bit too overly friendly on an epic scale!

Thats ok...we should all be over friendly on an epic scale. I know i have been
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Lushstories.com is a free sex stories adult community site where you can publish, read and comment on erotic stories.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Jack_42
Lushstories.com is a free sex stories adult community site where you can publish, read and comment on erotic stories.

? Pardon! Am I missing the meaning or did you post this in the wrong thread?
Lurker
0 likes
Promiscuous means you love sex, are somewhat discerning but you go out and get randoms.
Slut means you just don't give a damn.

But my favorite was my ex English boyfriend who said a 'Slag' was a girl who would fuck a guy at a club and then take another one home.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by NickiC
Promiscuous means you love sex, are somewhat discerning but you go out and get randoms.
Slut means you just don't give a damn.

But my favorite was my ex English boyfriend who said a 'Slag' was a girl who would fuck a guy at a club and then take another one home.

Oh I've done that more than once!
We're so two faced we don't have a male term for slag.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I presently believe the difference is this:
A slut is promiscuous.
Not all promiscuous people are sluts.
Therefore, some promiscuous people are not sluts.
So they are different. I believe a slut is someone who is promiscuous without consideration for the consequences...which could hurt someone and not just others too.
A promiscuous person is someone who engages in sex acts that far exceed the societal norm they dwell in, sometimes hoping to achieve something buy it.
Could that be it?
Lurker
0 likes
I agree with the overall consensus so far.

I believe a person who is promiscuous likes sex and is not in any long term committed relationships. They may date and have sex with people, but they are a bit more picky in who they do have sex with, and tend to not see multiple people in the same period of time. There is still some "connection" on more than a sexual level that is made in most cases (but not always).

A slut on the other hand is not that picky in who they have sex with, how often, or even if they are having sex with more than one person in the same general time period. A slut does not need any mental connection and tends to just screw the latest(s) target of opportunity.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Aidin
I presently believe the difference is this:
A slut is promiscuous.
Not all promiscuous people are sluts.
Therefore, some promiscuous people are not sluts.
So they are different. I believe a slut is someone who is promiscuous without consideration for the consequences...which could hurt someone and not just others too.
A promiscuous person is someone who engages in sex acts that far exceed the societal norm they dwell in, sometimes hoping to achieve something buy it.
Could that be it?

You say all suts are promiscuous which I agree with.
I don't understand what you mean about consequences and hurting people? I've never had an unwilling partner and have never knowingly been with a peson that was married since I was 21.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by JohnC
I agree with the overall consensus so far.

I believe a person who is promiscuous likes sex and is not in any long term committed relationships. They may date and have sex with people, but they are a bit more picky in who they do have sex with, and tend to not see multiple people in the same period of time. There is still some "connection" on more than a sexual level that is made in most cases (but not always).

A slut on the other hand is not that picky in who they have sex with, how often, or even if they are having sex with more than one person in the same general time period. A slut does not need any mental connection and tends to just screw the latest(s) target of opportunity.

Mmmm, well you'll have to tell me your verdict on me.
First and formost I've never been unfaithful, I'm a one man man! That said when I was single, well let's say I liked variety!
I'm very picky when I can see them but in a dark room who knows? Alcohol and party goods also play a big part. I've had sex with guys that I had no idea what they looked like and never talked to!
I've followed guys that I liked into a dark room and I've no idea if I was with them or someone else. That was part of the excitement, you were never certain!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dpw

Mmmm, well you'll have to tell me your verdict on me.
First and formost I've never been unfaithful, I'm a one man man! That said when I was single, well let's say I liked variety!
I'm very picky when I can see them but in a dark room who knows? Alcohol and party goods also play a big part. I've had sex with guys that I had no idea what they looked like and never talked to!
I've followed guys that I liked into a dark room and I've no idea if I was with them or someone else. That was part of the excitement, you were never certain!

Maybe you have been both? LOL
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by JohnC

Maybe you have been both? LOL

Both? And I can think of a few other descriptions.
Lurker
0 likes
if I have to say one or the other....slut
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Jules4Fun
if I have to say one or the other....slut

JULES! I'm offended!
Who's been talking?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think there's a difference. To me someone who is promiscuous likes sex and is willing to have it with whoever they want, without any entanglements or commitment. And whoever they decide to sleep with knows it's just about physical enjoyment. If it happens once or a hundred times, it's all good and fun. No commitments have been made and both parties know it.

Slut can fall into a couple categories. One is a person that's in a committed/monogamous relationship but has sex outside of that relationship behind the gf/bf back. Cheating. Sleeping with someone while breaking the trust of another.
Or a person that is sleeping with someone not because they want to but rather for some personal gain. Especially if the slut is leading the other person on to believe that it's more than just sex. Sleeping with a boss, coworker, or client to get a raise or promotion, then cutting them off once the raise/promotion is gained. Using someone at the expense of their personal well being in order to profit for yourself.. that's slutty.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister
I think there's a difference. To me someone who is promiscuous likes sex and is willing to have it with whoever they want, without any entanglements or commitment. And whoever they decide to sleep with knows it's just about physical enjoyment. If it happens once or a hundred times, it's all good and fun. No commitments have been made and both parties know it.

Slut can fall into a couple categories. One is a person that's in a committed/monogamous relationship but has sex outside of that relationship behind the gf/bf back. Cheating. Sleeping with someone while breaking the trust of another.
Or a person that is sleeping with someone not because they want to but rather for some personal gain. Especially if the slut is leading the other person on to believe that it's more than just sex. Sleeping with a boss, coworker, or client to get a raise or promotion, then cutting them off once the raise/promotion is gained. Using someone at the expense of their personal well being in order to profit for yourself.. that's slutty.

Hooray! I'm not a slut, I've never done anything in your definition.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by dpw

Hooray! I'm not a slut, I've never done anything in your definition.

Haha!

I should clarify. That seems to be the most common definitions of slut when I hear the word used. Whenever someone calls someone else a slut, it's usually a person that has cheated on her spouse or fucked her way to a good life. As seen by those casting the term.. usually from a woman about another woman, unfortunately.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
0 likes
Quote by lafayettemister

Haha!

I should clarify. That seems to be the most common definitions of slut when I hear the word used. Whenever someone calls someone else a slut, it's usually a person that has cheated on her spouse or fucked her way to a good life. As seen by those casting the term.. usually from a woman about another woman, unfortunately.

Bullshit, guys can call others sluts as well.

LM come on, you know you are one.....
The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

[URL=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-night-that-changed-my-life-1.aspx][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WPPsy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]