Login

The death of chivalry?

last reply
19 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Time for a serious question ladies.

Is there reason for a man to be chivalrous anymore?

I would consider myself to be some what of an "old soul" when it comes to treating a woman, the epitome of the word gentleman. I open and hold doors, make sure I'm walking on the outside of the sidewalk, open car doors, pull out chairs, offer to take their coats, pay for meals, am loyal, etc., and lastly honest to a fault.

I am definitely not what anyone would consider a handsome or attractive man by any means, and have heard too many time that I am a "good soul", which I translate to mean, "you just aren't attractive enough to excite me".

Recently all I have heard from others is how nice it is to see someone "going out of their way" to be a gentleman to a lady, however this hasn't seemed to do me any good in the way of relationships. I just cannot seem to comprehend why I keep getting left, especially when they leave to enter into an abusive relationship, be it physical or emotional abuse.

Is chivalry an attribute that women even notice anymore, and if so, is it considered to be attractive or a sign of weakness?

Feel free to check out my newest attempts at writing with my series, A Teasing Journey.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."
- Albert Einstein

I notice and appreciate chivalry. I will admit that I am actually caught off guard in many instances. Why you keep getting "left for abuse" is a question I can not answer. Perhaps the women you choose to spend time with are a certain "type" that you need to stay away from. Be yourself, that will always be you at your best. Most of all, good luck!
Is chivalry an attribute that women even notice anymore, and if so, is it considered to be attractive or a sign of weakness?

I find it very attractive. Knowing a man is putting my needs first, being protective, thoughtful, kind.. that's perfect. Not weak at all.

I will say, for me, there needs to be a balance. Being chivalrous but also firm. I need a man who puts me first, but will also tell me when my being a pain in the ass. I need sweetness but also dominance. Open the door for me, then smack me on the ass as I walk past kinda thing.
I see chivalry as kindness and deference, which I love in any person, especially men. If chivalry includes dominance, and making my decisions for me, forget it. I have a couple friends who keep going for bad-boys, and keep getting hurt over and over, and come crying to me about it. I've gotten to the point where I have no sympathy for them anymore because they're just being stupid going for these jerks.

Guys, keep being chivalrous. Even feminists like me appreciate nice guys! That's part of my decision whether to go to bed with a guy. Bad-ass jerks don't get between my legs!
Quote by lugnut1369

Chivalry in the sense of holding open doors, offering to lift heavy objects, that sort of thing--that I do notice and I do definitely appreciate.

Chivalry in the sense of refusing to allow me to do these or other things by myself or with minimal, by-request assistance--that is taken as implying that simply because I am a woman, I am incapable of doing these things, and is definitely not appreciated.

Yes, it's a fine line. I firmly believe, however, that the duty of a good man is to learn to walk this line. Not sure that is what you wanted to hear, OP, but it is what it is.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

I prefer being kind over being chivalrous. Kindness is not tied to outdated traditions or gender roles. It is being nice to someone who has zero chance of improving your lot. It is in its simplest form, living the Golden Rule. Some folks will be suspicious when you are kind to them. Be kind to them anyway. Being kind has nothing to do with whether the other person is a man or a woman. Some folks will question your manhood if you are kind. Be kind anyway. Kindness is giving free hugs with no strings attached. Kindness is lending an ear to someone who needs one, with no expectations of getting anything from them. If you still wonder about the nature of kindness, watch Ellen.
Quote by 69Kisses96
I prefer being kind over being chivalrous. Kindness is not tied to outdated traditions or gender roles. It is being nice to someone who has zero chance of improving your lot. It is in its simplest form, living the Golden Rule. Some folks will be suspicious when you are kind to them. Be kind to them anyway. Being kind has nothing to do with whether the other person is a man or a woman. Some folks will question your manhood if you are kind. Be kind anyway. Kindness is giving free hugs with no strings attached. Kindness is lending an ear to someone who needs one, with no expectations of getting anything from them. If you still wonder about the nature of kindness, watch Ellen.

We really need 'Like' buttons on forum posts! Gav! If you're listening, get on that right away!
Quote by BethanyFrasier

We really need 'Like' buttons on forum posts! Gav! If you're listening, get on that right away!

This is me liking this lol
Quote by lugnut1369
Time for a serious question ladies.

Is there reason for a man to be chivalrous anymore?

I would consider myself to be some what of an "old soul" when it comes to treating a woman, the epitome of the word gentleman. I open and hold doors, make sure I'm walking on the outside of the sidewalk, open car doors, pull out chairs, offer to take their coats, pay for meals, am loyal, etc., and lastly honest to a fault.

I am definitely not what anyone would consider a handsome or attractive man by any means, and have heard too many time that I am a "good soul", which I translate to mean, "you just aren't attractive enough to excite me".

Recently all I have heard from others is how nice it is to see someone "going out of their way" to be a gentleman to a lady, however this hasn't seemed to do me any good in the way of relationships. I just cannot seem to comprehend why I keep getting left, especially when they leave to enter into an abusive relationship, be it physical or emotional abuse.

You would fit into our FWB group nicely. However dont overdo it. Many women dont like to to fawned over - treat them as an equal and if you dont agree say so.
Beauty is more than skin deep.
Be a man, but dont be a pussy cat.
it's not just about chivalry. men can be incompatible with women for other reasons, such as having different tastes etc. being chivalrous does not guarantee a woman will want to be with you forever. but don't stop with the door-holding. you'll attract more girls and one of them will eventually fit you. hang in there!
A gentleman will open doors, pull out chairs, carry things not because a woman is helpless or unable. But because he wants to show her she is important and worthy of respect. Chivalry is more than good manners, it is about
Quote by 69Kisses96

Yup. Agreed. I love this.
Many men use the rules of 'chivalry' for their daily behavior for the simple reason they consider it is the right way to act. If I open the door to a woman, it is not because I want to attract her: I consider this gesture a form of respect. And these ethics should determinate a man's conduct in a deeper way than just opening doors or opening legs.
First of all, loyalty and honesty aren't chivalrous, that's just being a decent human being.

But, chivalry can be a good thing, if it isn't overbearing. I'll hold the door open for a woman, but I'll hold it for dudes too if the timing works out a certain way. Which happens frequently. I do think the man should pay, or at least attempt to pay for a first date. Or two. Eventually though, if you date someone long enough, she's going to want to pay sometimes... refusing to "allow" at any point, that's when it becomes offensive chivalry. Also, when you're in a relationship for a while, you get to learn a person's tendencies and know what things the woman you're dating likes you doing for her and which things she'd rather do herself. Respecting her boundaries is the most chivalrous thing you can do.

It can go bad in the other direction. I dated (not for long) a woman that refused to open a door. I recall one cold and windy night, I let her out of the car at the door of the mall while I parked. When I walked up, she was standing and looking at the door... shivering. "Took you long enough". Wtf, if you're cold, open the fucking door and walk inside.

Now, I do believe that men should offer their seat to a standing woman in certain situations. And should always offer his seat to an elderly person, man or woman, and a pregnant woman (most women should do this too, btw).

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. Socrates
During the Middle Ages, knights really weren't very chivalrous, based on those rules of chivalry. They were actually a lot more like Mafia thugs. They helped create and enforce the feudal system, keeping the common people, serfs, in their place, and protected the Lord of the estate. And did that only as long as he could pay them. When an army of knights with their entourage was on the move, they lived off the land, meaning they pillaged everything in their path. So the Age of Chivalry? Not so much.

So this is the 21st Century. Being a gentleman, I think, never goes out of style. And a true gentleman is not condescending and most certainly not a misogynist.

My mom went to a great deal of work teaching me how to be a gentleman when I was a kid. My mom is a very strong woman in most respects. She is a working professional with a doctorate degree, and has advanced very far in her field. Besides the opening of doors, pulling out of the chair, and all, respect was at the top of her list of things she taught.
Quote by Buz
During the Middle Ages, knights really weren't very chivalrous, based on those rules of chivalry. They were actually a lot more like Mafia thugs. They helped create and enforce the feudal system, keeping the common people, serfs, in their place, and protected the Lord of the estate. And did that only as long as he could pay them. When an army of knights with their entourage was on the move, they lived off the land, meaning they pillaged everything in their path. So the Age of Chivalry? Not so much.

Feudalism emerged during the breakup of the Western Roman Empire, when there was a great crisis in economy and urban life, the Germanic peoples invaded the empire and the emperors were not able to maintain a professional army, so the commoners seeked the protection of the private armies of the wealthy landholders. Feudalism was definetely conformed in the Frankish realms, in the times of Charles Martel, when western Europe was threatened by the Islamic caliphate in the south, the Vikings in the north and the Avars and Slavs in the east.

This social system allowed some societes with poor economical and demographical basis to raise very efficient armies formed by an aristocratic ruling class, the knights. As the ultimate goal of any social system is the preservation of the society, feudalism was a pretty successful one, because centuries later Western Europe defeated those threats, increased its wealth and population, and created the basis of the Renaissance.

However, it was necessary an ideology to make this social system work: the chivalry code. Por instance, in a time there weren't regular armies or even a formal state, when the king called all the men to arms, loyalty was essential for the social and political cohesion of the kingdom. Becuase if a kingdom is invaded in que west, and the peoples of the east consider that is not their business, that kingdom has no future. On the other hand, feudal armies pillaged everything in their path when they were invading an enemy territory, as any army in the world has done until the 20th century.

Of course, as any ethics or ideology (including the gentleman's rules), the chivalry code was just a ideal way of acting, that sometimes had little to do with reality. It would be childish trying to explian 20 centuries of Christianity just saying that Jesus claimed we have to love even our enemies and not to kill others. But we are judging an ideology. And the expectations of a person who lives in a violent society about others' behaviour are much more transcendent than being a polite and nice person.

If you ask to any soldier who has been in a war, he will tell you that he prefers a loyal, brave and trustworthy thug than a polite and nice gentleman.
I don't care how you classify your behaviour as long as you are kind. Chivalry is gendered which I disagree with on principle, as is being a 'gentleman'. Kindness is universal.
"A dirty book is rarely dusty"
double post
"A dirty book is rarely dusty"
I must be a closet bi I open doors for anyone and have even paid for meals for both genders. I draw the line on draping coats over puddles though - must be my dominant side kicking in.
I don't think it's just chivarly that's dying out I think for the most part being kind to people is dying out....It's rare that I see anyone getting up for elderly/pregnant etc on public transport, people don't jump to help others they would rather video it and get their 5 minutes of fame online... and from what I've seen if a guy holds a door open/tries to be chivalrous in general they are shamed/looked down on by the same women they are being nice too as its assumed they have hidden meanings behind the actions...

I try to be kind no matter the person and am trying to instill that in my son already...

people need to be nice to others..

sorry that is my cynical point of view, but I hope you have got some good ideas from this post smile