Benevolent Sexism?

last reply
24 replies
2.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Women are more attracted to potential mates who have a “benevolent sexism” trait - despite the “detrimental effects” of these attitudes on women, a new study says.

Benevolent sexism is described as thoughts or behaviors that see females as caring, nurturing, and needing protection. Opening doors, paying for meals, showing protective instincts etc.

The study, published in Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin by Pelin Gul from Iowa State University and Tom Kupfer from the University of Kent, built on previous definitions that psychologists have used to categorize sexism into two categories - hostile sexism (HS) and benevolent sexism (BS).

The research was conducted by asking more than 200 female students to read the profile of a man that represented either BS or non-BS attitudes, and rate the men in numerous categories including perceived willingness to provide, willingness to protect, and how attractive they found him.
According to the authors, the women preferred men with benevolent sexist attitudes because they were “willing to invest by being protective, providing, and committed.”

What do you think?

Are you more attracted to men that show "benevolent sexism?"

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0146167218781000
The Linebacker
0 likes
My mom, a very strong-willed and strong-opinioned woman with a professional career and doctorate degree, would probably at least support much of what the majority chose but completely disagree that it is sexist or detrimental.

When l was a kid, she spent quite a lot of time and effort teaching me gentlemanly bevaviour such as holding doors, pulling out chairs at the dinner table, walking on the outside when accompanying a lady on the sidewalk, and many more things than l care to list. l'd say the thing she stressed most of all is to treat women with respect.
Lurker
0 likes
I personally am extremely attracted to guys like that.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i make a habit of treating people with kindness and like to see others doing the same. that means that i'm always happy to hold doors open, pay for meals, be caring, nurturing, protective, and i am okay with the same behavior shown towards me - i am okay with accepting that - it's simply showing humanity as far as i'm concerned, and we can all use a little of that in our lives. women should be treated with respect. so should men. and kids. and animals. it makes the world a better place.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
i make a habit of treating people with kindness and like to see others doing the same. that means that i'm always happy to hold doors open, pay for meals, be caring, nurturing, protective, and i am okay with the same behavior shown towards me - i am okay with accepting that - it's simply showing humanity as far as i'm concerned, and we can all use a little of that in our lives. women should be treated with respect. so should men. and kids. and animals. it makes the world a better place.

This
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

I think everyone would agree with that.

This question, however, concerns specifically men that feel the need to pay, hold doors etc... because they are dealing with women. I assume that most people hold doors and whatnot.. (except for New Yorkers who are the rudest people I've ever seen,)
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

I think everyone would agree with that.

This question, however, concerns specifically men that feel the need to pay, hold doors etc... because they are dealing with women. I assume that most people hold doors and whatnot.. (except for New Yorkers who are the rudest people I've ever seen,)

i think some of it is generational. it's mostly guys who are a bit old school, i notice, at least in my experience. like anyone over 45 or so. think it's just how they grew up, yeah?

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

I could not agree more!
The Linebacker
0 likes
The use of the word 'despite' shows a bias in the study. I wonder if the author was dissapointed in the results.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I've always had simpler labels for benevolent sexists and hostile sexists. I call the benevolent sexists decent guys, or nice guys. The hostile sexists, I call assholes. I don't sleep with assholes. Unfortunately, some of my business clients are 'hostile sexists.'
0 likes
Well, I was brought up to offer my seat to the elderly and the disabled and the pregnant on public transportation, to hold doors open for others (regardless of sex--thank you, Mr. Franz), to always offer to pay for a meal, and otherwise exhibit what I guess might be considered, if I were male, to be "benevolently sexist" traits. To me, it's just the way things should be done.

I've raised my boys the same way--with twists, of course. Things like never refusing a girl's request to dance (this caused quite the kerfuffle when my oldest was asked by two separate girls to a TOLO dance) and offering your seat on public transportation to any woman. The key thing is, I've raised my boys to behave in this manner, not because women are somehow in need of special treatment due to being weaker or whatever, but because women are just...naturally superior? We can do the higher math and produce tiny humans. I'm raising the boys to be "decent guys", as Beffer mentioned.

Decent guys--the "benevolent sexists"--are like the guy on the bus this morning who offered up his seat to me (I didn't take it). Decent guys hold doors but listen if I insist on holding the door for them. Decent guys politely refuse my offer to pay for dinner. Decent guys are good for society.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've been a feminist for over 45 years and I don't see myself as being that way.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Being that I was raised in the south I tend to take on a respectful overture towards women. While I have no issues with a woman paying for drinks or dinner I most often do happily. I wouldn’t have invited them out if I didn’t expect to foot the tab. I tend to lean towards Beffers state of mind.
Lurker
0 likes
I should specify that the authors of the study didn't agree with the term benevolent sexism. They just used it because that was what terminology was acceptable to general public.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I'd take being called a benevolent human anyday.
Sexy Seductive Siren
0 likes
Lets boil all this psycho babble down. People doing something, anything, for one of two reasons and two reasons only. Either to gain something or to avoid something. The universe friends is on or off. It is binary. True or false. (A half truth friends is still a whole lie). A girl who falls for a guy wants the guy. Simple as that. A guy who falls for a girl wants the girl. Simple as that. You can apply this to any person of any sex, race, nationality, whatever. Might seem cynical, but if you think about it, it is true.
Meagan
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
The article is closed off, so I can't look it up, but why do the researchers consider it sexist to pay for a meal, hold the door, etc.? It's only sexist if one does it only for one gender and do women really find it more attractive if the guy only does these things for women? Or do they just prefer friendly guys?

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by noll
The article is closed off, so I can't look it up, but why do the researchers consider it sexist to pay for a meal, hold the door, etc.? It's only sexist if one does it only for one gender and do women really find it more attractive if the guy only does these things for women? Or do they just prefer friendly guys?

They don't. As I stated before the term "benevolent sexism" refers to the paternalistic attitudes of men to feel the need to protect and provide for women because they feel that they need that... The researchers actually disagree with the term.

Men also may do that kind of thing just to get laid.

It's like that old comedy routine... When a guy holds a door open for woman, what he really is saying is "what some dick?"

I think that the study shows that most women prefer protective and supportive guys.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
They don't. As I stated before the term "benevolent sexism" refers to the paternalistic attitudes of men to feel the need to protect and provide for women because they feel that they need that... The researchers actually disagree with the term.

It's like that old comedy routine... When a guy holds a door open for woman, what he really is saying is "what some dick?"

I think that the study shows that most women prefer protective and supportive guys.

Based on your second sentence I assume your "They don't" answers my "why do the researchers consider it sexist to pay for a meal, hold the door, etc.?" question and not my "do women really find it more attractive if the guy only does these things for women?" or "do they just prefer friendly guys?" questions. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You say the researchers disagree with the term "benevolent sexism", and you seem to suggest it's because of the "benevolent" part. My questions were about the "sexism" part though: do women prefer guys who only treat women like that over guys who treat everyone like that?

I'm also curious to know if they researched whether their findings are specific to women or whether it's merely a human trait to prefer protective and supportive partners.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by DamonX

When a woman wants a man, any form of “want some dick” is fine. When a woman wants a man they aren’t playing chess in their head. They’re like “dude, just acknowledge that you know I want you to me so I can jump your bones”. It’s weird that you’re overthinking it. You should know this already. Women are just like men, if we want a woman they can say and do dumbass shit, were just waiting for that green light. They do it too. And that green light might very well be opening that door and staring at her ass so she sees you doing it.

Wait maybe I read your post wrong and that’s what you’re saying, never-mind. I’m dumb...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by noll

Based on your second sentence I assume your "They don't" answers my "why do the researchers consider it sexist to pay for a meal, hold the door, etc.?"

The researchers don't consider it sexist. As I stated before, the results of the study showed that women prefer men that show those traits. What those traits are called, is irrelevant. They used the term "benevolent sexism" because that is what is used commonly used. They specified that they didn't agree with the term.

If you want to argue about nomenclature, then look elsewhere.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Interesting question. In some respects, my story of Liberty Mountain is a study of "benevolent sexism" - my main character finds himself a "junior" member of an all-female clan of amazing women. My guy is forced to re-think his attitude toward women and himself.

I am, at the start, putting my comments in context with my book. I wrote the story in the first person and my guy is me. I write my story as an autobiography of a life I never lived.

BOOK BLURB:
A homeless veteran’s life abruptly changes the day he stumbles upon a cult of female survivalists living off the grid for the last fifteen years. The Vietnam veteran's presence is unwanted and unwelcome. The group's leader has executed intruders in the past, and she is willing to kill again to keep her home a secret. To become the exception to the "no man alive" rule, the elderly vet must earn the trust of a skeptical and hostile sisterhood.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Interesting question. In some respects, my story of Liberty Mountain is a study of "benevolent sexism" - my main character finds himself a "junior" member of an all-female clan of amazing women. My guy is forced to re-think his attitude toward women and himself.

I am, at the start, putting my comments in context with my book. I wrote the story in the first person and my guy is me. I write my story as an autobiography of a life I never lived.

BOOK BLURB:
A homeless veteran’s life abruptly changes the day he stumbles upon a cult of female survivalists living off the grid for the last fifteen years. The Vietnam veteran's presence is unwanted and unwelcome. The group's leader has executed intruders in the past, and she is willing to kill again to keep her home a secret. To become the exception to the "no man alive" rule, the elderly vet must earn the trust of a skeptical and hostile sisterhood.