Soundtracks?

last reply
9 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Nerdzilla
0 likes
Every time I hear Settle for Nothing by Rage, I think of Dirty_D and my series. There are other songs I've written to also. Anyone else find themselves writing a certain story/stories to certain songs? What are they, if you do?
0 likes
There's a couple songs referenced in The Best Dance, beings as it is about dancing and all. The ending of the last story in my Wedding Interrupted series is set to "We've Got Tonight" by Bob Seger, a song I've long wanted to include in a story. There were probably other songs in my head for other stories but I don't recall them right now. I certainly do often have a "soundtrack" in my head when I'm writing.

Oh, and if you check the Self-Promotion and Marketing forum thread for The French Guest, I did post videos for a couple songs that were on the soundtrack for it.

https://forum.lushstories.com/yaf_postst68627_The-French-Guest-has-arrived.aspx
Lurker
0 likes
Yes, two in particular.

Twin Tower Lovers was inspired by Queen's, Who Wants To Live Forever?

More recently, Never. Always. Forever. was inspired by INXS's, Never Tear Us Apart.
living dead girl
0 likes
I usually make a different playlist for each story I write
For Be my Valentine my list included

Creep-radiohead
Valentine's day-marilyn manson
I will possess your heart- deathcab for cutie
Obsession- animotion
#1 crush- garbage
Crush- Jennifer Paige
Jenny- studio killers
So Happy together- filter

and sometimes I just listen to the candyman soundtrack
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I like rock mostly. So they are the best tracks for me.
Ungovernable
0 likes
Great question...and a huge 'yes!' Some stories went nowhere until exactly the right track was found. In fact, even considered putting the inspiring titles in the Author's Notes section of each story, but refrained out of respect for the reader's own 'soundtrack'.

Probably safe to mention a few here.

You Sure Love To Ball (Will Downing) for My Recurring Lush Nightmare
Haiti (Gilberto Gil & Gaetano Veloso) for a scene from The Last Chance by ChrisM
Mustang O Reino Inacessivel (Lyle Mays) for Drought
Breakadawn (De La Soul) and believe it or not, the Absolut "Sweet Attractions" jingle for How Far
Writius Eroticus
0 likes
Yeah, sometimes music plays a part, either to set up a moment or to spark a story. One in particular, Closer by Nine Inch Nails fits my collaborative Flash with Jen, imaginatively titled, uuuh, "Closer".

And, btw Katherine, RATM are simply fantastic. Probably my fave band on the planet.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 111 full stories, 10 micro-stories, and 2 poems with the following features:

* 29 Editor's Picks, 74 Recommended Reads.
* 15 competition podium places, 10 other times in the top ten.
* 21 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

0 likes
Thought of this thread today.

As many probably know, Marie Fredriksson of Swedish pop band Roxette passed away a week ago after a long battle with cancer. After her death, I picked up a Roxette hits collection. I did enjoy them back in the day but haven't listened much recently so wanted to just hear them again beyond the one or two songs that are stuck in the earworm part of my brain. At the same time, I had my Winter Wonderland comp entry basically done plot-wise and into the final writing and editing phase. And this song came up on the album, one that I wasn't really that familiar with. Damned if I couldn't picture it playing under the end title credits of the movie of the story.

Truth be told, the band's songwriter Per Gessle actually hates this one, and I can kind of see why, but it just fits the story nicely both in mood and lyrically.

The story, BTW, is Not So Abominable : A Tale of Winter Magic
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Soundtracks are such a part of a film that many would lose their impact without it. Think of the shower scene in Psycho without the shrieking violins in sync with the stabbing sequence. Who doesn't know the famous two-note Jaws motif and not think of Sharks... In college, I had a music class in soundtracks which really opened my ears to many different styles. The leitmotif, which is a melody that can appear every time a character is on the screen was once very popular, coming from Richard Wagner an opera writer in the mid-1800's.
Tom
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Herbert Spencer
Best down-under
0 likes
Yes I have sometimes had a song or movie that has sparked an idea, and less frequently thought of a song as I was writing. But I don't really think all that hard about musical links though most of my stories have them.

My first competition story from last year's Winter competition was titled, 'Great Southern Land – Finding Freedom On A Prisoner’s Island,' and as the story was set in Australia it was in part a tribute to the Icehouse song of the same name which ran in my head the entire time I wrote the story.

The same was true for 'My Unexpected Pas De Deux,' where I had the Divinyls "I Touch Myself" on play in my mind.

Some music comes into my mind as I am writing, Springsteen's Born to Run was perfect for including in my latest story Ice and Icing. As was the movie about Queen which I had seen while writing and so changed the second half of my Notorious competition entry Ned Kelly into a comic tribute to Queen. And sometimes the link is an afterthought, the title 'That Ain't No Way To Treat A Lady?' based on the Helen Reddy song was the last thing I thought of and did before hitting submit.

Conversely Hannah (PalindromeRedux) and my story "Butch Cassidy and the Vegemite Kid," began with the title and we strove to include as many references to that movie (and Breakfast at Tiffany's) as we could, including the song 'Raindrops keep falling on my head"

Do check out my latest story:

Unleashed competition: Bull Shite, Bull Dykes, Bull Fights: That’s Your Everyday D/s Love Story. | Lush Stories

And my other stories, including 5 EPs, 22 RR's, and 15 competition top 10's including my pride competition winner: On Oxford Street, This Gay Girl Found Pride While Playing With Balls