Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Self-Editing or having someone else edit it.

last reply
7 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
which do you use or prefer?

I like someone else looking over my work. No matter how hard I try or how many times I look over my own work I always miss something. I actually have a friend who has agreed to edit all my stories as opposed to getting a new one every story. that way she can see my progression and tell me what I am getting better at and what I still need to work on as i go.
Are you talking about grammatical editing, or content editing?

When it comes to grammatical editing, I self-edit. Since I write all my stories in Word or Libre Office, I have spelling and grammar lines come up. I realize it's not going to work for all situations (for example, the wrong usage of to/too/two), but I do my best to watch as I write, and I comb through my stories as best as I can. (There are people out in the world that could use a professional editor; in fact, I know/knew some personally.)

Content-wise, I'd have to say that I prefer having other people look over it, and I make the actual changes. This allows me to check my story for consistency. I find that I get a little complacent with my story, and I don't recognize elements of my story that are more unbelievable. For example, there was a story I wrote for a fiction workshop class where a reader commented that the actions of my protagonist and his antagonist weren't quite believable. This allowed me to see that I needed a rewrite. Of course, I've gotten some bad advice as well. Once, I called a story "Strangers in the Night," and got some bad feedback on it (Apparently, there's a song with a similar title). I was also told that the location my story was taking place was important; I didn't agree with that.
either or both is what I'm talking about
First self proof thoroughly, then send it to a trusted friend to proof and make editorial suggestions. A brand new set of eyes will catch some spelling or grammatical errors that you as the author won't. Also, another person's opinion about some content or phrasing in your story could be very valuable. Then you make the decision whether or not you want to make that story edit.
If you are going to edit the grammar yourself, you need to set the story aside for as long as you can. If you try to edit immediately, your mind will self-correct for those stupid typos we all make, but with waiting the story will no longer be fresh in your mind and you are more likely to find those errors.

Beyond that, I always try to comb through the story myself looking for editing errors in content, that are more apparent with a re-reading.
After all is done, I will sometimes ask a close friend to read it prior to posting.
I usually self-edit my pieces, then ask someone to look over the piece before I post anything, that include any blog or article I'm working on.

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

Try autocrit.com.
My Lush story in Straight Sex: "The Coach and the Coeds"

My Lush story in First Time (humor competition): "The Jokes from the Future Prank the Prick Tease"

My book published by Lush Stories is "When College Girls Go Wild." It's on Amazon.