Problem with my Process (writers block)

last reply
9 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
So I rarely outline a story before I start to write. I'm sure some authors will immediately say "OMGWTF IDIOT!", but I'm sure there's others out there like me. In short, I enjoy the journey of the story unfolding to me and letting the characters develop themselves while my imagination gently nudges them in one direction or another. Luckily enough I've been able to generally transform most of the freeform plotlines into something that actually says something, or at least entertains (me) on some level. But the pitfall: I have a story I'm somewhere near the middle of, that I love the characters, love the setting, but all of the sudden, I'm just stuck. I've shelved it for several days and still can't come up with the next scene. Everytime I write the next few paragraphs I reread them then delete them in disgust. Does anyone who writes in this manner have any tricks or tips to breaking writers block mid-story like this? I don't want these characters to have lived a totally meaningless existence! They're too damn sexy.
I'm really getting sick of auto-correct's shirt.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've done this so many times I lost count. For me, when this happens I temporarily go to a different story and refocus my mind for a bit. Either that or I may find a way to focus on a character that hasn't gotten much action and give them their own story /chapter. For me this helps spark back those creative juices. If nothing else works, a good walk at night with some music and brainstorming tends to get the ideas going too. heart Not sure if that helps but those are my two cents anyway <3 <3 <3
Charming as fuck
0 likes
Yeah, that's how I write too. Just sit and let it flow and like you, sometimes it just stops and I'm a bit stumped.

I'm a very visual person, so what I usually do is put away my writing implements, sit in a quiet room, eyes closed and think through the scenes. I usually identify with one character, so I become them and let the scene play out in my head. What do I like? Where would I want it to go?

It takes the pressure off a bit and lets me explore various scenarios in my mind. Plus, I usually get really turned on by it and then get to relieve some tension, lol.

Best of luck working through it. It's frustrating, I know x
0 likes
Quote by BlinkOneSomething
So I rarely outline a story before I start to write. I'm sure some authors will immediately say "OMGWTF IDIOT!", but I'm sure there's others out there like me. In short, I enjoy the journey of the story unfolding to me and letting the characters develop themselves while my imagination gently nudges them in one direction or another. Luckily enough I've been able to generally transform most of the freeform plotlines into something that actually says something, or at least entertains (me) on some level. But the pitfall: I have a story I'm somewhere near the middle of, that I love the characters, love the setting, but all of the sudden, I'm just stuck. I've shelved it for several days and still can't come up with the next scene. Everytime I write the next few paragraphs I reread them then delete them in disgust. Does anyone who writes in this manner have any tricks or tips to breaking writers block mid-story like this? I don't want these characters to have lived a totally meaningless existence! They're too damn sexy.
I write in exactly the same way you describe. NEver a plan a thing.

Hi BlinkOneSomething.

I write my stories exactly in the manner you describe so can sympathise with your plight.

I have a hard drive full half-finished stories — which is a joy really, as when I am stuck for a new idea I can pull one up and have a tinker.

So my advice is, put it to one side for a month — two, or three months, even. It isn't going to go anywhere, its licence ain't going to expire. Start something else and come back to it later

Today, I have put the finishing touches to a story I began over a year ago which I had abandoned a week into its writing. My problem at the moment seems to be letting the damn things go. On every edit, I find more to add to a story. It's never-ending.

I've just read a novel by 1930s writer Henry Green called Partygoing In the introduction, it says it took him nine years to complete it. It's only 162pp and when I first read that, I thought WTF were you doing all that time. But I'm beginning it understand now, how you could get like over your writing.

Anyhow, good luck with your problem child.
Troublemaker
0 likes
On the occasion I have an outline its usually in my head and describing it as "rough" would be overly generous. If I get stuck and write a paragraph or two that I'm not happy with I just yellow highlight it and keep going. The story usually finds its way. Often the crap paragraph will suggest a fix although I may only keep a few words.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
You guys are great. Every single suggestion was awesome. Thank you!
I'm really getting sick of auto-correct's shirt.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm probably too late to join in this one, but I have two ways of dealing with writer's block. One is that my first draft is usually rubbish anyway, and I accept that--I always say I start with a 'daft-draft'. The other, if I'm really struggling is simply to invent word games. eg I write 'word-rivers'. I invent a character and write down all the words they would use but other characters wouldn't, or words that would describe them. I find little word-exercises helpful. I've even been known to take an empty crossword from a magazine etc, and create an erotic crossword. That's a fun game and gets the juices going too.
0 likes
Quote by cornodamore
I'm probably too late to join in this one, but I have two ways of dealing with writer's block. One is that my first draft is usually rubbish anyway, and I accept that--I always say I start with a 'daft-draft'. The other, if I'm really struggling is simply to invent word games. eg I write 'word-rivers'. I invent a character and write down all the words they would use but other characters wouldn't, or words that would describe them. I find little word-exercises helpful. I've even been known to take an empty crossword from a magazine etc, and create an erotic crossword. That's a fun game and gets the juices going too.

Never too late to give brilliant brilliantly concrete suggestions like these. 'Daft-draft'! What a great phrase. Sums up what a first draft should be. Gets you over the constant need to produce the extraordinary. As you obviously already know, things don't really start to fall into place later in the process.

Also, I love the word-game thing. Handy little techniques to kick-start the imagination. I often take the Oxford Dictionary of quotations down and open it at random. I always find something to inspire me.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Hey,

I usually don't write from an outline, and at times I am sure it showssmile. I usually have a few scens, emotions or snippets of dialogue in my head and let the story write itself in between these. Many of the bits I think will be part of the story no't make the final cut.

I would recommend to spend a bit more time in your head with your characters. Why are they in the situation they are in when you are stuck? What is in it for them? How would they like the story to end? Are there any bits they that fit the characters that could happen a few paragraphs down the road?

If you can think of something that is supposed to happen a bit further on in the story (don't write it yet), it should give you a point to aim for. Whit any luck, the bit you need to get there will start flowing again.

Good luck and enjoy the writing!