Login

"Oh God" or "Oh god"?

last reply
33 replies
4.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
I never even spell out G-d. Obviously, I use the dash haha. For texting and things like that I only say "omg."
Advanced Wordsmith
In dialog, it should depend upon the character's belief entirely. If the character is the type of person who would capitalize "God" then that's how you, as the author, should write it. If the character would opt instead for the lower-case "god" then that's what should be used. Dialog is dependent upon the character in all cases. Higher educated characters might be less likely to use contractions, whereas some characters might always use contractions or slang. The same is true for what the character would think about elevating. Such as "God" over "god" or the other way around. The same holds true for the character's thoughts, whether in quotations or not.

In narrative, then it should be a matter of author's choice. Which one best fits the tone of the work? A story meant to be irreverent would probably not exalt a deity with a capitalization. Ultimately, it's not about showing respect to your faith or promoting a particular view of religious belief, it's about the story. It's always about the story.
Active Ink Slinger
if its good OH GOD if so so oh God
Active Ink Slinger
You might not believe in fairies but that doesn't mean Tinkerbell should have a lower case T.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber