Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

how do you know you've 'arrived' as an author?

last reply
29 replies
2.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Not just on Lush but in general.

For me it's the fact the people are now waiting in anticipation for my next story and asking me when it will be done.

I also have writer friends asking me for advice on how to craft a good sex scene for stories they're writing. And coming up with this
I lay down on the bed with my legs spread in anticipation. I can feel her hot breath on my inner thighs as she slides up my body. Teasing me she slowly licks my outer lips, smiling at how wet she's made me. I mew & squirm slightly as she rubs my clit with the tip of her fingers before sliding them down to my waiting hole.

Off the top of my head for the above mentioned friend helps as well.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I guess it depends on how you define 'arrived.' And I think anyone who writes will attach their own meaning to that term. I too found it very satisfying when readers started getting in touch with expressions of enjoyment and questions about future writing. A couple years ago I published a series of seven interrelated stories called Taking Chances at smashwords. I don't make a lot of money from them - it's hardly a living. But I get a check every quarter. And it really is an ego boost that people will pay actual money to read my stories! I'm still amazed by that, and to me I guess that's 'arriving' in some small way.
Lurker
0 likes
Writing is stringing words and lines together. If you approve of it, that is all that matters. If you try to write for accolades, you will eventually find yourself mired in mud.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I knew I'd arrived when I won the best Non-Consent story of 2003 on Literotica. That encouraged me to pursue writing as more than just an outlet for my personal issues and now, eleven years later, I'm writing non-fiction and getting paid for it, too!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by adagio_sabadicus
Writing is stringing words and lines together. If you approve of it, that is all that matters. If you try to write for accolades, you will eventually find yourself mired in mud.

I agree with you on that BIG TIME.

To each their own on writing, for myself I can/'t say I'm a write per say because I just enjoy writing.
0 likes
I just enjoy writing, too, but I think hearing from readers that they enjoy my stories, esp. the requests for sequels/continuations, are what tells me I'm getting an audience.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I have no idea. All I know is that I want to get much better. With each story I do my best to push myself harder and do better than the previous story. I feel that I have a very long way to go. I doubt I'll ever feel satisfied.
Lurker
0 likes
The day I don't cringe when I re-read a piece.xx
Brown Sugar
0 likes
Hmm, I'll never settle for some particular formula in my writing. That's what creativity is about. The creative process involves trying new story structures and using different language. There is always room for improvement. Therefore, I will continue to fly without getting caught in a holding pattern or being stuck on the ground! There's no arrival here. I've got to keep pressing forward!

Cocolicious
0 likes
Quote by Possibly
Hmm, I'll never settle for some particular formula in my writing. That's what creativity is about. The creative process involves trying new story structures and using different language. There is always room for improvement. Therefore, I will continue to fly without getting caught in a holding pattern or being stuck on the ground! There's no arrival here. I've got to keep pressing forward!

Very well said!
Head Nurse
0 likes
I will agree with what possibly, buz, and Emily kiss have all said.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I think Buz and Possibly said it best.

I love what I write, each time I write. But, I know I can improve each time I write, and I make sure to try and do that each time. I want to get better in many areas. Opening myself up to new things, exploring the world of writing. It is an endless, the world of writing is so open. Embrace it and grow always!
Lurker
0 likes
You've "ARRIVED" as a writer the first time you're brave enough to post or print something you've written.

Writers WRITE. (They don't THINK or TALK about it, they PUT IT OUT...)

SOMETIMES it hits and sometimes not... No matter... You're a WRITER if you write. (Not EVERYBODY will get you BUT some people will find stuff that you didn't even know you'd written... The WORDS you write are uniquely yours, but the way they are read is UNIQUE to every reader... That's the pleasure of it, in truth...)

Most of us here are writers. We tell stories and we place COLOUR in peoples imaginations. We CREATE images, feelings, scenarios, CHARACTERS, stories, where before THERE WAS NOTHING...

Not everybody can do that.

(Writers do. If you do that then, yeah... You're a writer... You've arrived... Welcome!)

It's fun, isn't it?

xx Stephen
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

You've "ARRIVED" as a writer the first time you're brave enough to post or print something you've written.

SOMETIMES it hits and sometimes not... No matter... You're a WRITER if you write. (Not EVERYBODY will get you BUT some people will find stuff that you didn't even know you'd written... The WORDS you write are uniquely yours, but the way they are read is UNIQUE to every reader... That's the pleasure of it, in truth...)

Most of us here are writers. We tell stories and we place COLOUR in peoples imaginations. We CREATE images, feelings, scenarios, CHARACTERS, stories, where before THERE WAS NOTHING...

(Writers do. If you do that then, yeah... You're a writer... You've arrived... Welcome!)

It's fun, isn't it?

xx Stephen

Wow. . .stephanie, you took the words right out of my mouth. Well said and I agree 1000% with it.
Lurker
0 likes
Suck my dick some of me will rub off on you and you my friend will have arrived. I'ma lick it all night. Yeah you heard me right gurl. I'm going make you wet the bed. Sooo, I guess you better get to sucking. And I don't want to hear any complaining about how you're getting lock-jaw. Just suck my dick and sees what happens. You never know you may become the next best seller.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I kind of go by five different criteria.

1.) My name becomes well known enough to make me want to change it legally.
2.) I make enough in book sales each quarter to not need to work at other things.
3.) Someone I don't know asks for my autograph.
4.) Someone who "hates" reading falls in love with books because of something I wrote.
5.) I make a top ten list on the New York Times Best Sellers List (and stay on it for more than a year.)

I will feel like I have "arrived" as an author when all five of these things happen. But until then, I just write for fun.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

It's fun, isn't it?

********Aw, nice..that's true...most of mine are musings or something I have to put out. Because it's the best way for me to say it. Only a few things not deliberately written for someone specific.*******

xx Stephen
Lurker
0 likes
After finishing a story that you've labored over you read it from the beginning. When you're done reading it you sit back and smile. That's really all that matters.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by emilykiss

This. I'll be interested to see how I view my latest story a year from now. I remember being pretty proud of the stuff I put up four years ago, now I read it and blush.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Quote by emilykiss

Good luck with that em.

From what I've learned, you'll always cringe a bit when you re-read a piece. Always be things you wish you'd done different. You just gotta let the story sit.

Probably when I feel truly proud of what I've written and am satisfied with the product even in spite of changes or things I wish I'd done differently.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan

Good luck with that em.

From what I've learned, you'll always cringe a bit when you re-read a piece. Always be things you wish you'd done different. You just gotta let the story sit.

Probably when I feel truly proud of what I've written and am satisfied with the product even in spite of changes or things I wish I'd done differently.

Completely off topic, but I LOVE your handle. Nobody remembers that movie, but there was a time when I probably could have quoted every word.
Lurker
0 likes
Ah here we go: When people stalk you online.

That's always lovely.

Big-haired Bitch/Personality Hire
0 likes
When I take satisfaction in what I do and don't need validation from others. Don't get me wrong, feedback and support is ALWAYS welcome. Not just as an ego booster or tips to get better. When others are invested in my work, it adds to my level of satisfaction in my work, if that makes sense.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
For me, writing is a process, not a journey with a defined destination or even mile posts. In my mind, I've never arrived and probably never will.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SixtyMinuteMan

This. I'll be interested to see how I view my latest story a year from now. I remember being pretty proud of the stuff I put up four years ago, now I read it and blush.

You'll be proud of Samuel in twenty years.
Chuckanator
0 likes
For me i will never "arrive." There will always be room to grow and adapt. The growth I have already obtained is meaningful to me. When I review my previous stories or poems and see where I need to improve tells me I am making progress. When I get positive feedback from great authors like Ashleigh, Danny, or Milik, it means more than a Recommend Read or award. I have been an artist all my life. As a architect or painter and now a writer. Creativity is in my blood. Writing is just painting with words.
Mazztastic
0 likes
Quote by dpw

You'll be proud of Samuel in twenty years.

I've only read part one so far, but I agree, it's a fantastic read smile
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Mazza, dpw, you both rock. Many thanks.
Mazztastic
0 likes
Quote by SixtyMinuteMan
Mazza, dpw, you both rock. Many thanks.

I added part two to my queue... Looking forward to reading it smile