Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

How attatched do you become to your characters?

last reply
12 replies
2 watchers
15 likes
Rookie Scribe
1 like

My apologies if this topic has been raised and answered before. If so, please point me in the right direction. I've scrolled through the topics and I've tried the search, but nothing really came up.

So - how attached do you become to your characters?

As a newbie, I'm still trying to hone my craft. I've noticed that I tend to develop an attachment to several of the characters I've created. I even accidentally fell in love with a gorgeous redhead whose fate I had envisioned was entirely different, and she ended up as the main character in a different story.

My attachment also pushes me to dig deeper into their stories, and I let them evolve far beyond my initial idea.

So, my stories end up in a series, and when a series comes to an end, I feel genuine loss.

How far does your attachment to your characters reach, and have I fallen victim to a noob trap?

Life's too short to argue sexual orientation. Just ask Alex

Living bi-cariously through Lush
1 like

I think it’s a good idea to become at least a little attached to your character, so that as you said, they develop real personalities and quirks rather than being bland cardboard cutouts.

As far as falling in love with them … well, I don’t know, why not? They are your fantasies. Of course you are going to develop some characters that come close to your ideal. I haven’t done so, but I can think of several characters in my stories I could fall in love with.

If you can’t let them go after a story is finished, then the solution seems obvious: a series!

My Dirty Talk competition entry: No-Dating Policy

I get dicked by a federal agent. My top-ten Noir competition entry: Dick Job

My alliteration-addled Free Sprit competition entry: Buff Bluff in Banff

Card catalog? Hard catalog! My library

Writius Eroticus
1 like

As joe71 says, a little attachment is good for developing character traits and insight. But if you love them too much you may end up not wanting to harm them or not wanting to put them in morally awkward situations. Then they'll turn into boring shells, devoid of conflict with others or they come across as invincible, always getting into scrapes and coming out unscathed. And nobody wants to read that stuff long-term.

Conflict drives a story so be wary if you find too much emotional attachment developing. It can spell the end for a character. Try to retain some semblance of objectivity in your writing to avoid this.

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 109 full stories, 10 micro-stories, and 2 poems with the following features:

* 29 Editor's Picks, 72 Recommended Reads.
* 15 competition podium places, 9 other times in the top ten.
* 21 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

Having fun!
1 like

I prefer character-driven stories. Unlike most here, I begin to fall in love with them even before I start writing the story. This is because I normally write little bios on the lead "actors" and as I write them into the storyline I have continually and three-dimensional real people. Well, at least in my head. 🙄😊

My take on this is that there must be a piece of the character inside you as you write and work with them. With the books I have written and am adapting for Lushstories, those characters have lived with me since 2021. Their never-to-be-published background information now runs to several A4 pages.

As for killing off a character or putting them in an awkward situation? I don't see that to be a problem, I do the latter all the time and you can always resurrect a character in another story if you are in "love" with them. Though, I don't see that scenario happening to me.

So, to answer your question: I do become attached, and even deeply attached to the characters I have been working with for three and half years. But my attachment would never stop me from putting them in harm's way.

My Dirty Talk comp entry: Knickerless

A gay standalone story: The Queens Head

A standalone story: A Good Life

A standalone office sex story: Back in the Office

Rookie Scribe
0 likes

Quote by WannabeWordsmith

As joe71 says, a little attachment is good for developing character traits and insight. But if you love them too much you may end up not wanting to harm them or not wanting to put them in morally awkward situations. Then they'll turn into boring shells, devoid of conflict with others or they come across as invincible, always getting into scrapes and coming out unscathed. And nobody wants to read that stuff long-term.

Conflict drives a story so be wary if you find too much emotional attachment developing. It can spell the end for a character. Try to retain some semblance of objectivity in your writing to avoid this.

Oh, part of why I develop attachment to my characters is because they're so ultimately morally flawed and because they do put themselves in harms way. I appreciate your insights. Thank you!

Rookie Scribe
2 likes

Quote by wxt55uk

I prefer character-driven stories. Unlike most here, I begin to fall in love with them even before I start writing the story. This is because I normally write little bios on the lead "actors" and as I write them into the storyline I have continually and three-dimensional real people. Well, at least in my head. 🙄😊

My take on this is that there must be a piece of the character inside you as you write and work with them. With the books I have written and am adapting for Lushstories, those characters have lived with me since 2021. Their never-to-be-published background information now runs to several A4 pages.

As for killing off a character or putting them in an awkward situation? I don't see that to be a problem, I do the latter all the time and you can always resurrect a character in another story if you are in "love" with them. Though, I don't see that scenario happening to me.

So, to answer your question: I do become attached, and even deeply attached to the characters I have been working with for three and half years. But my attachment would never stop me from putting them in harm's way.

Thank you for the insight 😊

I agree. I never let my attachment or love for my characters get in the way of the story. Traci did meet her intended fate (gangbanged on a pool table in a dive bar), but she also came out of that story a changed person (with an addiction to used panties 😉).

2 likes

Have to be somewhat attached or it's not going to work. I can't gauge how attached I am as I can't place a value on that, but I definitely am not afraid to put them in awkward positions. Showing love for a character is doing just that!

My last published story: Good For Nothing

Active Ink Slinger
2 likes

I usually come into a story with a clear idea of what it's about. In a longer series, like Only One Bed, there's a bit of a character arc planned (Emma's growing confidence, etc). In standalone shorts, it's more about what's happening in that scene, so I'm less invested in character growth than I am in writing something hot that feels like it could happen to a real person.

I often have the opposite problem. I come into a short story with little idea who the character is, and she reveals herself in the writing, demanding to be shaped a particular way. I'm often startled at how vividly I can picture the character's voice in my head, showing me how they'd react…

Easily amused
2 likes

Very. I usually get to know them through dialogue.

Tintinnabulation - first place (Free Spirit)
Comet Q - second place (Quick and Risqué Sex)
Amnesia - third place (Le Noir Erotique)

Rookie Scribe
1 like

Quote by pinkysurprise

I usually come into a story with a clear idea of what it's about. In a longer series, like Only One Bed, there's a bit of a character arc planned (Emma's growing confidence, etc). In standalone shorts, it's more about what's happening in that scene, so I'm less invested in character growth than I am in writing something hot that feels like it could happen to a real person.

I often have the opposite problem. I come into a short story with little idea who the character is, and she reveals herself in the writing, demanding to be shaped a particular way. I'm often startled at how vividly I can picture the character's voice in my head, showing me how they'd react…

I've run into a few characters, usually created as an extra or a mere backdrop to the story, and have had them demand the spotlight.

Headbanging ape from cold North 🤘
1 like

I can, but don't always, become very attached. However, there are some I am more attached to than others and I usually telegraph that because those ones often end up reappearing. Some of my one-offs are that simply because I did not feel that connection to the protagonist(s).

For instance, I had a character in some no longer extent Lush stories named April. She was a former sex worker taking a college degree. She ended up in four stories of her own and she and her boyfriend had a cameo in another series.

In my non-erotic writing, there's Tana, a fantasy character raised as a sorceror by her father, her world's dark lord figure, but now a healer. She has a trilogy of stories on StoriesSpace that I might expand and rework into a novella someday and I have ideas for a sequel about her daughter in which she would eventually appear.

Apes can talk dirty, too. Here's my entry in the "Dirty Talk" competition. Read it and let me know what you think. A virgin student gets a special present from his female housemate.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/first-time/free-use-friday-or-a-sweet-taste-of-cherrys-pie-3

Dirty Stop-out
1 like

I become attached to a lot of my characters, they come to life because I put a little of myself in them along with traits I find attractive.. having said that, after 15 chapters I killed off one of my favourite characters in a bomb explosion.. so not too attached lol

2 competition winning stories, 1 Famous story, a smattering of Editor's Picks, a handful of Recommended Reads and one Clitorides award are scattered amongst my stories.

One of a handful of writers to get the Omnium badge for writing in every category

For a book club with a difference... try this lesbian romp

Wouldn't you rather have a nice cup of tea?
0 likes

Quote by Ensorceled
Very. I usually get to know them through dialogue.

This is common for me, too. I often 'hear' my characters before I 'see' them, so I usually let them talk. As a consequence, many of my stories are fairly dialogue heavy. That's generally how characters reveal themselves.

I do find that I like the characters I write - not limited to just the protagonists, either. They should at least be interesting enough to spend 2K-10K words with, if not more.

Don't believe everything that you read.