Giving Feedback

last reply
154 replies
9.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I have a question that was prompted by but is unrelated to Monocle's thread on giving thanks.

What's the acceptable protocol here for telling someone a story is just bad? No offense to anyone, but it happens. Personally, if someone hates something I write, I'd want to hear it in full-on brutal honesty. Do most of you want to hear when someone has negative feedback?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If you give me a specific thing you didn't like about my story, or offer constructive criticism, I enjoy the feedback. However, if all you are saying is, "that story sucked" I'm not as happy with the feedback, because there is no way for me to know what you want me to improve.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Jebru
If you give me a specific thing you didn't like about my story, or offer constructive criticism, I enjoy the feedback. However, if all you are saying is, "that story sucked" I'm not as happy with the feedback, because there is no way for me to know what you want me to improve.

Very good point. I should have been more clear in my original post. I was talking about the type of feedback that lets you know what is wrong with the story.
Lurker
0 likes
I think that's pretty good D. but be nice and make a point of saying that it's just in your opinion.
Lurker
0 likes
I think that it would be acceptable to offer constructive criticism, but *I* would prefer that it be in the form of a private message rather than a comment in public view. I would hate for one person's opinion to shade someone else's viewing of my work.

But that's just me.

Ling
0 likes
Positive feedback makes me feel good and encourages me to keep writing. Constructive criticism makes me think and helps me improve. Either way, I appreciate knowing how the reader feels about my story.
Lurker
0 likes
I agree with the points already made. It would be foolish not to want to get constructive criticism. How else could we improve? Hearing that someone enjoyed reading what I wrote makes me feel great. Thankfully most of the feedback is good.

Publicly insulting a story is a different matter. As one person pointed out, send a private message to the author. There are times that the criticism is incorrect but other readers may get swayed by them.

What I dislike most is someone who reads a story and rates it poorly because of the topic. Don't read stories if you don't like stories, for example. I wrote a story about a woman who fucked both her husband and son (not at the same time) and got pregnant. Some people were disturbed that she fucked her son and some were disgusted she might have gotten pregnant from him. Incest is only one topic I write about but it's strictly fantasy. One guy publicly wrote that I am a sick woman to fuck my son. I don't even have a son. lol
Unfortunately, there are some readers who can't separate fact from fiction.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Ling-Li
I think that it would be acceptable to offer constructive criticism, but *I* would prefer that it be in the form of a private message rather than a comment in public view. I would hate for one person's opinion to shade someone else's viewing of my work.

But that's just me.

Ling

I would tend to agree with Ling I would also rather a private message if you think something should be changed rather than saying it in public.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DBarclay
Quote by Durrasch
I have a question that was prompted by but is unrelated to Monocle's thread on giving thanks.

What's the acceptable protocol here for telling someone a story is just bad? No offense to anyone, but it happens. Personally, if someone hates something I write, I'd want to hear it in full-on brutal honesty. Do most of you want to hear when someone has negative feedback?

I have been calling stories rubbish when they have been ....but I did begin to think a PM
might be better so I just offered my 3 basic rules by PM ..and some responded well,
and I re-edited their story for them...
a few ignored everything...and carried on with the rubbish

And one just said Fuck off ...

The best way ~ no idea ...

I can't speak for everyone but I don't like when a person tells me what to do. If you offer constructive criticism politely and don't expect the author to automatically do whatever you suggest, it's fine. The author does have the final say about changes that should be made and you shouldn't take it personally if the author doesn't incorporate those suggestions in their stories.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DBarclay

Don't most people respond to you that way, DB?
Lurker
0 likes
Fell off my chair laughing at DB.
Lush Legend
0 likes
LOL@David....*just shakes head and laughs*

D I try to be as clear as possible and pinpoint to different authors what I think they can improve on in a tactful way. I also focus on good things that they have done so the overall constructive criticism is not so badly taken. Generally I get good responses and then there are those that blow me off and well that is when I can tell the difference between the people who take thier writing seriously and those who just write for the hell of it.....

I also agree with Ling I usually PM that person because I don't want to embarrass them either......

"Love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none."
Lurker
0 likes
I don't want to embarrass them either

That's the crux of the whole issue.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DBarclay
Quote by Elaine

I can't speak for everyone but I don't like when a person tells me what to do. If you offer constructive criticism politely and don't expect the author to automatically do whatever you suggest, it's fine. The author does have the final say about changes that should be made and you shouldn't take it personally if the author doesn't incorporate those suggestions in their stories.

Your right .. I am probably too blunt... but what the hell.. I am not going to take advice from a
women who had sex with an imaginary son, now am I.

Gee I wonder why anyone would say anything bad to you? In case you aren't aware, that is what a fictional story is. Imaginary characters in imaginary scenarios. Unfortunately with your imaginary brain, you can't figure it out.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by ali2teaseu
Quote by DBarclay

Don't most people respond to you that way, DB?

They should if they don't.
Internet Sensation
0 likes
i dont mind getting negative, but creative, critisism in my comments.
If I did I would just turn off the commenting of everything.
I can't stand getting positive dishonest comments. It's very.. *shiver* disturbing.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DBarclay
Quote by Elaine
Quote by DBarclay
[

Gee I wonder why anyone would say anything bad to you? In case you aren't aware, that is what a fictional story is. Imaginary characters in imaginary scenarios. Unfortunately with your imaginary brain, you can't figure it out.

FFS does nobody here have a sense of humor ..that was meant to be funny ...
Seems if you don't plaster things with stupid smilies ..nobody gets it ...

I give up ..you lot are so much up your own ass ...

I could ask you the same thing. Didn't you find my response funny? I guess we don't appreciate each other's sense of humour.
Lush Legend
0 likes
Ok this thread was not meant to go this route and let's get back to the subject at hand...Elaine and David take your toys and go back to your respective corners......Thank you.

I still think that the best approach to tell an author something about his/her story is to PM them again and offer suggestions but at the same time if the story is filled with spelling errors, or if the whole story is in one block of text and a huge run on sentence and such and that person does not want to take the advice then they should not complain when the story is deleted.

"Love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none."
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by DBarclay
Quote by Elaine
[
I could ask you the same thing. Didn't you find my response funny? I guess we don't appreciate each other's sense of humour.

I did .. I thought it was great .,. mine was meant to match it...
UK people may see the humor

Ok, things got a bit out of hand. Let's make up.

I don't get your reference to the UK though. Aren't you from Florida?
Lurker
0 likes
Oh my...
Lurker
0 likes
Don't take what I say too seriously

I never do. This thread really made me about laugh my ass off.