Abandoning a story?

last reply
95 replies
12.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
God Empress of Lush
0 likes
I agree it's frustrating when you have spent a lot of time on a story, only to find its just not going anywhere.

I have put stories aside for months, tinkering with them on and off, and usually manage to finish them in the end.

Often, if I've hit a dead end, it helps to reverse a little and try a different route.

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx

Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
My idea graveyard is in my head. So yes, I've abandoned story ideas before.

I tend to write things out in my head constantly before I commit to putting pen to paper or fingers to keys. That's how my creative brain is wired.

However, at the same time, story ideas are often resurrected. I take bits and pieces from other stories, both complete and incomplete, for something totally new. So it is like a Frankenstein bit, only far more elegant.

The one story I've submitted so far takes pieces here and there from all over in fact.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Pretty much all I do is abandon stories and ideas.

In my head and even after I have it half written. I don't have much faith in my writing and I get frustrated easy so then I just say fuck it and quit.

When I first joined I was writing all kinds of stuff just a because it was exciting and new, but when I go back and read it I'm like wow this is shitty.

So yeah, there's a lot of dead ideas in my mind and half written ones.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've said it before, but I'll reiterate: if your characters are real and well developed, then you can't hit a dead end, any more than reality can simply stop and run out of ideas. Something happens next. Something always happens next. People's lives ebb and flow, come and go, and stories do the same. Give your characters flesh, start their hearts and watch them go. They will create it for you. Simply write it down.

Alternatively (lol), only write when you are inspired. Don't write for the sake of it. Mull over in your head till inspiration strikes then take it by the horns and cling on for grim death.

Gustav Holst, the composer, said something like: 'Only compose when the act of not composing is a positive nuisance to you'. Write when you have reason to write, when the need to say what you need to say overcomes everything else. smile
"If I sign off with pithy quotations, ignore all preceding opinion for I am undoubtedly a fool. And if, after our discourse, I abuse you by proffering my vulgar produce, cast me into the gutter."
Lurker
0 likes
I try not to abandon my stories, but I seem to be the worst at keeping focus and sitting down to write. I keep a very long ongoing list of ideas or things I'd like to add to stories I'm working on, but then when I sit down to write it always seems like I get distracted by something else going on in my life. And then there are many times where I simply get bored with what I'm writing. I just have to take a break from it, maybe start something new, and then come back to it later. I typically always finish what I'm writing, but it can take me forever to do it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
At any given time, I will have 5 or 6 stories partially written, ranging from a few sentences to multiple chapters. One of these is always the story that I am concentrating on finishing. If I get completely stuck, I go tinker with one of the others, or better yet, read. Reading well-written sizzling stories usually get my juices flowing and motivates me to hit the keyboard again.

"It seemed like a nice neighborhood to have bad habits in.” Raymond Chandler

Lucia Makes a Bet

Barn Dance

Shock Wave