Narrator's Gender: Does it matter?

last reply
45 replies
4.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My stories have pretty much all been first-person. I have not tried to write from a man's point of view, although I have occasionally suggested male story lines to my writer friends.
Best Friend Exchange Club: Here
Artist stories start at Artist -- Chapter 1
Starbucks Reverie at Starbucks Reverie

Teacher at Teacher

And please read my competition entry:There's Always Time. A sweet love story set in a time traveling universe.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If a story is well written with a good believable plot then it doesn't matter to me what gender the narrator is. With the comments from both genders on my stories I feel I have achieved some success in appealing to both male and female.

Click Pegasus4's Profile (lushstories.com) to see my profile.

Click Pegasus4's Stories (lushstories.com) to see a list of my stories.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
yes. it's important that the narrator has a gender. doesn't matter what it is, or if it's revealed, but they do need one.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite
yes. it's important that the narrator has a gender. doesn't matter what it is, or if it's revealed, but they do need one.

But Sprite, what if the narrators a grain of sand blowing in the wind? or the silken blindfold covering her eyes, revealing what she/he can't see? (Would be hilarious if someone did that from a straight guys pov whilst being apart of a gay male scenario xD) Cheekiness aside, but along those realms, what of transgender? Or a girl who has very masculine traits/vice versa? I think "male" and "female" are a bit broad to be honest. Per e.g,. A very masculine female or very feminine male would probably be my least favourite by far......

As for my opinion of things, it matters not, the narrators perspective or the Author themselves gender. As previously mentioned, there are many good books from both genders perspective, and many more good books written in the pov opposite to that of the Author, Sprite has some very good stuff (a piece atleast) whereby one would never guess without knowing, dancing doll (I think its her piece) also does a good double ploy in one of her comp entries. Long winded ramble cut short, in my humble opinion, it's quality, along side, traits given to your narrator that matters, opposed to gender itself
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by violetcrumble

But Sprite, what if the narrators a grain of sand blowing in the wind? or the silken blindfold covering her eyes, revealing what she/he can't see? (Would be hilarious if someone did that from a straight guys pov whilst being apart of a gay male scenario xD) Cheekiness aside, but along those realms, what of transgender? Or a girl who has very masculine traits/vice versa? I think "male" and "female" are a bit broad to be honest. Per e.g,. A very masculine female or very feminine male would probably be my least favourite by far......

As for my opinion of things, it matters not, the narrators perspective or the Author themselves gender. As previously mentioned, there are many good books from both genders perspective, and many more good books written in the pov opposite to that of the Author, Sprite has some very good stuff (a piece atleast) whereby one would never guess without knowing, dancing doll (I think its her piece) also does a good double ploy in one of her comp entries. Long winded ramble cut short, in my humble opinion, it's quality, along side, traits given to your narrator that matters, opposed to gender itself

i never said the gender had to be either male or female, only that there was one. and thanks for the compliment, i do appreciate it smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

i never said the gender had to be either male or female, only that there was one. and thanks for the compliment, i do appreciate it smile

I know, I know, I was just playing, was meant to be a little light hearted fun xD And you're very welcome!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I believe it does.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
It doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

I love writing from the male point of view.

Hugs,
Mysteria
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have written from both Male and Female perspective and actually prefer to read stories from the female perspective though.
Writing from the male perspective is a little more challenging. I often write as I imagine a guy would see things or I would like to see him in that situation. I have three wonderful men in my life that can draw on the many experiences I have had with them and others. I grew up in close company with other girls with similar inclinations to myself and have occasionally drawn upon their experiences as well eg the Baby Sitting stories..
Being Bi I have also had many experiences with men and women in my life and I have used some experiences as a base line.
As for describing a male orgasm - I have been a partner in so many with various guys (and girls) that I can live the part I have enjoyed and experienced so often. Our orgasm's are often one of the subjects we discuss during pillow talk after the event. Good - bad - and indifferent.
Lurker
0 likes
Good writing ability is always a plus regardless of gender, but the obvious aside, it IS more interesting when the writer is a woman simply because women are, by and large, far less open (or so it seems to me) than men are about voicing explicit sexual fantasies. So to hear a woman actually voice those fantasies does make an erotic story far more of arousing.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I do enjoy reading stories that are narrated from the female perspective. Yet, like many that have already replied, if the story is well written the gender of the narrator really doesn't matter.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't really care, which gender an author is, except when writing from first person perspective. That somehow never feels genuine.
A little kindness can be so valuable, yet costs almost nothing

In many countries being gay is a crime, and even in modern societies, politicians try to legalise discrimination. Your voice can make a difference. Have a look at All Out to find out how.

Hey... pssst.... that's an l (as in luscious) at the end of my name, not an i
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think it depends what the male perspective is like. Sometimes their thoughts are realistic but douchey so Id rather have the escapism of the womans more romantic mind.
Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by Milik_the_Red
I kind of feel like I have to consider this when I write. I think both genders prefer to read stories from a woman's view, for different reasons of course. I'm no different really.

When I write, I do my best to remember that and to provide imagery and emotion that might appeal to both. I think I do well for the most part. Sometimes I wonder though, how much of the fantasy is dampened for the reader just knowing I'm a man writing it?

That's something I'll probably never really know.

I agree. But for me it is easier to write from a mans perspective for the sole reason I'm male. It seems every time I try to write from a woman's pov, I fail miserably. I'm not one of those men foolish enough to think women reason as men. I believe women pick up details that men totally miss. Point in fact. Carol and I were driving down the PCH in Malibu and she saw details about things I totally missed. I'm myopic whereas she's panoramic.

Going shopping is another thing. I hunt she shops. If I need a pair of trousers I stalk my prey in first shop I go into, bag it (buy it). Hut completed. She will look and look, wander all over mall, compare prices. Try on a dozen things and buy nothing. Then says it was a good day shopping. I think I'd be infuriated if I came home empty handed. I could have watched two games in that time.

So yeah, male perspective easier for me.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Now the gender of the narrator doesn't bother me in the least,what does bother me is the quality of the narration,especially with poetry.I've heard some fine poetry on here ruined by the narration,and some stories that have had their eroticism ripped from them.So may I suggest that anyone who want's their writing narrated visits a few amateur theatre productions or rehearsals where they may find the voice they need.But then who am I,just a broken down old actor who writes a little poetry now and then.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As many have said Gender is not an issue as long as the story is interesting
Good girls say, "Don't........ Stop......" Bad girls say, "Don't Stop"