Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

What makes music Good, and what makes it Bad?

last reply
3 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was thinking about it today and I realized how mere sound can tell you a lot about somebody, and how the alteration of a sound depicts certain people as well as what makes music "good" or "bad" in your own opinion. For example, I'm sure a lot of people have heard of/listen to/like The Fox by Ylvis. If not, here it is.

Lots of people rather enjoy it. I'm not a huge fan of the song, due to the sort of mood it produces and the way it sounds. I'm also very picky with vocals and how they sound. So, when I came across this other version, (Punk Goes Pop) I rather enjoyed it enough to download it. (the lyrics are the same for this version if you cannot understand the singer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK1JV903TfA

(sorry for not having two videos. Lush wouldn't allow it for some odd reason.)

What do you think? What makes music good for you? What makes it bad?
(I personally prefer things like screaming, heavy instruments, melodic inputs, good lyrics, and good vocals)
Head Nurse
0 likes
Between the two choices, I'd pick the punk version also. However, I'm not going to download either.

To me the thing I like about a piece is it has to be musically interesting.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I like a wide range of music, from punk to country, folk to electronic. I prefer the song to be performed by the artist, rather than cover versions, however if you bring your own spin on it, then it can work. I hate the current Lily Allen song- a cover of Keane's 'Somewhere Only We Know'- her voice is reed thin and brings nothing to the song. Not a big fan of manufactured pop, either, One Direction leave me cold.

Luckily, Coventry has a thriving live music scene and am often spoiled for choice here.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There is good music in nearly all genres, I think, but what makes it "good " is honesty. That is to say, if the song is a reggae piece, the artist shouldn't try to make it pop. if it is punk, don't try to turn it into skye or rap, or some other medium. But, and here's where honesty plays into it, if you are gonna steal a song from another genre, then don't screw around. Go for the whole caboodle. The best examples I can think of off hand in my current semi-inebriated state of mind are Emerson Lake and Palmer doing Pictures at an Exhibition, and Jimmy Smith doing Peter and The Wolf. In other words, make a musical statement; don't try to please everyone. Because when you do that, all you are is "elevator" or "dentist office" music.
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster