Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

What is your list of greatest movie westerns of all time?

last reply
72 replies
6.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
The Linebacker
0 likes
Please list your 'greatest movie westerns of all time'...

Buz Bono's Greatest Movie Westerns Of All Time:

1. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
(The movie credits say 'Introducing Lee Marvin'/ He plays Liberty Valance, the really evil bad guy in the movie, but somehow he's fun, entertaining and cool, and he calls everyone 'Dude'. It also stars greats John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart. This classic black and white is really awesome! Directed by John Ford)

2. True Grit (the original with John Wayne, who won the Academy Award for Best Actor portraying Rooster Gogburn)

3. Tombstone (I love this awesome movie with Kurt Russell playing Wyatt Earp, Val Kilmer is great as Doc Holiday, and Sam Elliott as Virgil Earp, plus super sexy MILF, Dana Delany plays Wyatt Earp's love interest. This has great action!

4. The Searchers (This western super epic stars John Wayne, directed by John Ford)

5. Rooster Cogburn (The interaction between John Wayne and Katherine Hepburn is electric, a true classic!)

6. The Outlaw Josey Wales (Clint Eastwood is amazing in this)

7. The Longriders (an awesome movie about the real American outlaws, The James Gang. Brothers James and Stacy Keach play Jesse and Frank James, the Carradine brothers play the Younger brothers.)

8. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Sergio Leon'e spaghetti western classic with Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef)

9. Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid (Paul Newman and Robert Redford portray these real life outlaws)

10. Unforgiven (This dark and violent movie with Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman; won the Academy Award for Best Movie)

11. Stagecoach (an awesome black and white 1939 release starring John Wayne and John Carradine, father of the Carradine brothers, directed by John Ford)

12. Dances With Wolves (A great epic with Kevin Costner, fantastic portrayal of the Souix Indians of the Great Plains, awesome cinematography)

13. Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino recreated a fantastic 'spaghetti western' style movie, very violent)

14. Wyatt Earp (Kevin Costner's version of the Gunfight at the OK Corral)

15. 3:10 To Yuma (great action, stars Christian Bale and Russell Crowe)

16. The Magnificent Seven (an all-time western classic with Steve McQueen, Yul Brenner, Charles Bronson, James Coburn and more...

17. Silverado (a fun action packed western with Kevin Kline, Kevin Costner, Danny Glover, Scott Glenn and John Cleese)

18. Winchester '73 (black and white classic with Jimmy Stewart)

19. Pale Rider (Clint Eastwood is a ghost again!)

20. Shane (famous western epic with Alan Ladd)

21. The Wild Bunch (A Sam Peckinpah shoot 'em up with an all-star cast, tons of action!)

22. Blazing Saddles (Yes! A Mel Brooks comedy!)

23. High Noon (A black and white western classic with Gary Cooper as the sheriff of a town full of wimps!)

24. Once Upon A Time In The West (another spaghetti western epic by Sergio Leone, with an all-star cast)

25. Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid (A Sam Peckinpah movie starring Bob Dylan, the singer, and Kris Kristofferson)

26. Open Range (Kevin Costner, Robert Duvall and Anette Benning in this battle for cattle grazing rights in Montana)

27. Tom Horn (great movie with Steve McQueen)

28. High Plains Drifter (Clint Eastwood takes over a town for revenge)

29. Rio Bravo (A John Wayne classic)

30. Gunfight At The OK Corral (great old classic with Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas)

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Lonesome Dove and any John Wayne Movie
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by Lttxn
Lonesome Dove and any John Wayne Movie

I should have given a nod to Lonesome Dove. It's not a movie but it is the greatest ever TV miniseries and an awesome western. Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones are incredible.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I saw the Searchers because I am a fan of Natalie Wood but I found the theme of victim-blaming too offensive.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Buz

(The movie credits say 'Introducing Lee Marvin'/ He plays Liberty Valance, the really evil bad guy in the movie, but somehow he's fun, entertaining and cool, and he calls everyone 'Dude'. It also stars greats John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart. This classic black and white is really awesome! Directed by John Ford)

2. True Grit (the original with John Wayne, who won the Academy Award for Best Actor portraying Rooster Gogburn)

3. Tombstone (I love this awesome movie with Kurt Russell playing Wyatt Earp, Val Kilmer is great as Doc Holiday, and Sam Elliott as Virgil Earp, plus super sexy MILF, Dana Delany plays Wyatt Earp's love interest. This has great action!

4. The Searchers (This western super epic stars John Wayne, directed by John Ford)

5. Rooster Cogburn (The interaction between John Wayne and Katherine Hepburn is electric, a true classic!)

7. The Longriders (an awesome movie about the real American outlaws, The James Gang. Brothers James and Stacy Keach play Jesse and Frank James, the Carradine brothers play the Younger brothers.)

8. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Sergio Leon'e spaghetti western classic with Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef)

9. Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid (Paul Newman and Robert Redford portray these real life outlaws)

10. Unforgiven (This dark and violent movie with Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman won the Academy Award for Best Movie)

11. Stagecoach (an awesome black and white 1939 release starring John Wayne and John Carradine, father of the Carradine brothers, directed by John Ford)

12. Dances With Wolves (A great epic with Kevin Costner, fantastic portrayal of the Souix Indians of the Great Plains, awesome cinematography)

13. Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino recreated a fantastic spaghetti style movie, very violent)

16. The Magnificent Seven (an all-time western classic with Steve McQueen, Yul Brenner, Charles Bronson, James Coburn and more...

17. Silverado (a fun action packed western with Kevin Kline, Kevin Costner, Danny Glover, Scott Glenn and John Cleese)

21. The Wild Bunch (A Sam Peckinpah shoot 'em up with an all-star cast, tons of action!)

23. High Noon (A black and white western classic with Gary Cooper as the sheriff of a town full of wimps!)

24. Once Upon A Time In The West (another spaghetti western epic by Sergio Leone, with an all-star cast)

25. Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid (A Sam Peckinpah movie starring Bob Dylan, the singer, and Kris Kristofferson)

26. Open Range (Kevin Costner, Robert Duvall and Anette Benning in this battle for cattle grazing rights in Montana)

30. Gunfight At The OK Corral (great old classic with Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas)

I liked most of these with maybe the exception of the Costner version of Wyatt Earp.

A few additions are

Eldorado and Chisum with John Wayne
Wild Bill with Jeff Bridges
Cheyenne Social Club with Henry Fonda and Jimmy Stewart
many others too

And for comedies, Support Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter..............anything with Jack Elam is classic, LOL!

My dad loved westerns, this brings back memories of watching them on a Sunday afternoon with him when I was a kid!
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by Miele
I saw the Searchers because I am a fan of Natalie Wood but I found the theme of victim-blaming too offensive.

That is more of an internal struggle by Ethan, the main character. He eventually comes to grips with it and comes to his senses.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Blazing Saddles

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703

And for comedies, Support Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter..............anything with Jack Elam is classic, LOL!

Did you see Jack Elam as the nearly blind gunslinger bounty hunter in The Cockeyed Cowboys of Calico County? It's hilarious, especially when he tips his hat to a horses butt thinking its a lady. smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

The Shootist (John Wayne's last film)

The Wild Bunch (directed by Sam Peckinpah)

Blazing Saddles

"It seemed like a nice neighborhood to have bad habits in.” Raymond Chandler

Lucia Makes a Bet

Barn Dance

Shock Wave

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is not just a great western. It might be one of the best movies of all time. That and Rio Bravo are my favorite John Wayne movies of all time.
Lurker
0 likes
Young guns for me
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Wild Bunch.
The Outlaw Josie Whale.
The Magnificent Seven.
Unforgiven.
The Left Handed Gun - Paul Newman as Billy the Kid. A great scene where he pretends to look at a guests gun, and then riles the guy who draws on him. Billy smiles, opens his hand and lets the bullets he's removed fall to the ground.
The Searchers.
Stagecoach - John Wayne original version of course.
Red River - John Wayne again with Montgomery Clift.
Cat Balou - Lee Marvin and his horse are just incredible.

If I sat down and thought about it I am sure there would be many, many more but these spring to mind fairly easily and quickly.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Another vote for Blazing Saddles!
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Great list, Buz! But how could you leave out Randolph Scott??
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz

10. Unforgiven (This dark and violent movie with Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman; won the Academy Award for Best Movie)

13. Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino recreated a fantastic 'spaghetti western' style movie, very violent)

Add in The Alamo (with John Wayne, Richard Widmark and Richard Boone)
And I agree!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
1. The Wild Bunch - The most realistic gunfight scene ever and it seems to go on forever. Sam Peckinpah - need I say more.
2. Shane - Alan Ladd in a truly magnificent role. #1 - the saloon fight - he and Van Heflin, back-to-back taking on the many baddies and holding their own
3. Open Range - Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall in one of the longest, and probably second best realistic gun fight scenes ever after Open Range
4. Any John Wayne but- start with: The Searchers
5. Hondo (primarily because John Ford Directed)
6. High Noon (Gary Cooper's best movie ever)
7. Red River
8. Big Jake
9. True Grit
10. McLintock!
11. Chisum
12. El Dorado
13. War Wagon
14. The Cowboys
15. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (And Lee Marvin doing an outstanding job as the Baddie)
16. Rooster Cogburn
17. The Professionals
18. The Magnificent Seven
19. The Long Riders
20. The Outlaw Josey Wales
21. Tombstone
22. Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid
23. Dances With Wolves
24. They Died With Their Boots On
25. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
The Unforgiven - Silverado, Gunfight at OK Corral (Saw as a young squirt at Saturday movies), Pale Rider
A determined person with perseverance can overcome many obstacles. They can, many times, perform better than those who are more intelligent, stronger and with better finances by determination and perseverance
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by Buz
True Grit
Tombstone
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Unforgiven
Dances With Wolves
Django Unchained
Wyatt Earp
3:10 To Yuma
Once Upon A Time In The West
Open Range

My father is a huge fan of western movies, so I always appreciated them myself too. I've seen those quoted above and thoroughly enjoyed all of them.

My father's favorite movie ever is Once Upon A Time In The West. I've watched it a few times with him (3-4 times), and it's always something a bit emotional for me: every time we watch it together, I wonder if it will be the last. I'm 100% certain that many years from now, when my father will have passed away, I'll watch this movie alone and will cry like a little baby, thinking about my father and my happy times with him.

In addition to those movies mentioned by Buz, I also enjoyed the whole Man With No Name trilogy (which The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is part of); it's a bit more lighthearted, but still very entertaining.

And I also enjoyed Appaloosa. Not really a great classic, but still very enjoyable:

0 likes
I'm not a huge Western fan, really, but have a soft spot for Eastwood's early spaghetti Westerns (Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly) as well as Unforgiven. Really, I'm probably more of an Eastwood fan than a Western fan.
Lurker
0 likes
Lonesome Dove
Good the Bad and the Ugly
Serchers
True Grit (BOTH )
High Plains Drifter
Unforgiven
Barbarosa
Quigley Down Under
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

My father is a huge fan of western movies, so I always appreciated them myself too. I've seen those quoted above and thoroughly enjoyed all of them.

My father's favorite movie ever is Once Upon A Time In The West. I've watched it a few times with him (3-4 times), and it's always something a bit emotional for me: every time we watch it together, I wonder if it will be the last. I'm 100% certain that many years from now, when my father will have passed away, I'll watch this movie alone and will cry like a little baby, thinking about my father and my happy times with him.

In addition to those movies mentioned by Buz, I also enjoyed the whole Man With No Name trilogy (which The Good, The Bad and The Ugly is part of); it's a bit more lighthearted, but still very entertaining.

And I also enjoyed Appaloosa. Not really a great classic, but still very enjoyable:

There is an old western movie from the 1960's titled Appaloosa with Marlon Brando. It has a cool arm wrestling scene where there are two deadly scorpions tied to the table so the loser will have his hand pressed down where he'll get stung. I liked the Appaloosa you mentioned too.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
How about Legends of the Fall
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Mclintock
Lonesome Dove
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
McLintock
Lonesome Dove
Active Ink Slinger