Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

What do you think is the best superhero movie?

last reply
48 replies
4.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Currently we live in an age when superhero movies are a part of our zietgeist.

Infinity War just became the fastest movie to reach a billion dollars. Black Panther took an IP that very few of the the general population had ever heard of and made it a billion dollar franchise.

Before I continue here, I'm going to differentiate between "super hero movies" and "Comic book movie." Comics are a medium... not a genre.

As a previous comic book nerd I would have loved if this golden age of comic acceptance occurred back when I was twelve. Because the movies that were being tossed out were pretty fucking terrible.

These characters are part of our society, yet they have never been treated with respect. When I look back at the movies made in the 80s, 90s and early naughts all I see are money grubbing scumbags using a recognizable IP to get people to pay them money.

Things have changed now. And the reason is twofold.

1) We now have the technology to do things properly.

2) The people that make these movies actually have respect for the source material.

Compare the recent Marvel Movies with Joel Schumacher's "Batman and Robin."

So what do you think are the best superhero movies out there? What do you think are the worst?

What would you like to see portrayed on screen? Or are you simply sick of super hero movies?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by DamonX
Currently we live in an age when superhero movies are a part of our zietgeist.

Infinity War just became the fastest movie to reach a billion dollars. Black Panther took an IP that very few of the the general population had ever heard of and made it a billion dollar franchise.

Before I continue here, I'm going to differentiate between "super hero movies" and "Comic book movie." Comics are a medium... not a genre.

As a previous comic book nerd I would have loved if this golden age of comic acceptance occurred back when I was twelve. Because the movies that were being tossed out were pretty fucking terrible.

These characters are part of our society, yet they have never been treated with respect. When I look back at the movies made in the 80s, 90s and early naughts all I see are money grubbing scumbags using a recognizable IP to get people to pay them money.

Things have changed now. And the reason is twofold.

1) We now have the technology to do things properly.

2) The people that make these movies actually have respect for the source material.

Compare the recent Marvel Movies with Joel Schumacher's "Batman and Robin."

So what do you think are the best superhero movies out there? What do you think are the worst?

What would you like to see portrayed on screen? Or are you simply sick of super hero movies?

This is a hard one. i have several favorites, based on different criteria. just plain fun. an emotional impact. staying true to the source material. etc. first off, least favorites: the hulk movies. just misfired completely - also, until the avengers movies, no one knew how to write/play him right. the FF movies were also sucky. as were the post Keaton batman movies.

unlike many, i really enjoy the new DC ones. man of steel. BMvsSP. JL. and, especially, WW. The Dark knight trio is brilliant. the second Spiderman, with DocOck - loved it. i hate picking favs. that said, Captain America Winter Soldier is probably one of them. Also, Deadpool, just cause it's so over the top crazy. let's just make a top 10...

1) Captain America, winter soilder.
2) Wonder Woman
3) Black Panther
4) Hell boy
5) Guardians of the Galaxy 1
6) The Dark Knight Rises
7) Spiderman 2 (Toby McGuire)
8) Dead Pool
9) Ironman 1
10) Captain America: Civil Wars

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Iron Man 1 & 2
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by sprite

This is a hard one. i have several favorites, based on different criteria. just plain fun. an emotional impact. staying true to the source material. etc. first off, least favorites: the hulk movies. just misfired completely - also, until the avengers movies, no one knew how to write/play him right. the FF movies were also sucky. as were the post Keaton batman movies.

unlike many, i really enjoy the new DC ones. man of steel. BMvsSP. JL. and, especially, WW. The Dark knight trio is brilliant. the second Spiderman, with DocOck - loved it. i hate picking favs. that said, Captain America Winter Soldier is probably one of them. Also, Deadpool, just cause it's so over the top crazy. let's just make a top 10...

1) Captain America, winter soilder.
2) Wonder Woman
3) Black Panther
4) Hell boy
5) Guardians of the Galaxy 1
6) The Dark Knight Rises
7) Spiderman 2 (Toby McGuire)
8) Dead Pool
9) Ironman 1
10) Captain America: Civil Wars
I agree with you almost exactly--especially when it comes to least favorites. The Hulk movies just didn't work and none of the FF movies ever got it quite right. Your top three and mine are also the same. WW is probably the only DC film I'd put in my top 10, but I actually don't hate any of them as much as so many people seem to.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It's a toss up between Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman.

Brandie
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hubby and I really enjoyed DeadPool because of the irreverent humor and some wild action scenes. Looking forward to DeadPool 2, coming soon...
0 likes
I am badly out of date on my movie watching, so this is drawing what I have seen:

1966 Batman (the definitive Silver Age superhero movie adapted from the popular TV series)
1989 Batman (Tim Burton takes the first stab at a more serious Batman)
2002 Spiderman (just a terrific take on a classic origin story from one of my favorites directors, Sam Raimi)
Captain America : The First Avenger (good retelling of Cap's origin story, has the Howling Commandos in it for the win)
The Avengers (closest movie I've seen to the feel of the old Avengers comics I used to read in the seventies)

This list could change drastically, however, if I finally find the time to plunge into the Nolan Batman trilogy and more of the Marvel cinematic universe.

And a bit of an outlier. This one is an original (ie. not based on a comic book):

Darkman (pre-Spiderman Sam Raimi creates a dark hero who is kind of a mashup of Batman and The Phantom of the Opera, good performance by Liam Neeson in one of his early roles)
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
1) Captain America: Winter Soldier
2) Guardians of the Galaxy

That was a really good year.

It gets really murky beyond that with Wonder Woman, Avengers, Tim Burton's Batman, Iron Man 1, Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2, Logan, Deadpool...

The next tier down isn't any more clear.

Then you get to the bottom of the heap. Amazing Spider-Man franchise, Batman V. Superman, Fant4stic Four...

I can rewatch the old Batman movies past 2, the two FF films, and X-Men origins. I will never subject myself to the Garfield Spider-Man, BvS, or Fant4stic again, even for free. I was mad that I wasted the time to watch those in the first place.
0 likes
Of the attempts at FF films, I've only seen Rise of the Silver Surfer (the second one with Ioan Gruffud, Jessica Alba, Chris Pine, and Michael Chiklis) and that was a godawful mess. Saw it as an inflight movie so didn't pay, at least. How the hell could they waste a chance to put Galactus on screen (see below for Galactus)? Hopefully, if Marvel gets the rights back and puts them into the MCU, we'll get a proper Galactus at some point. Of course, all the FF movies have messed up Dr. Doom, another great villain who's been totally wasted on screen. Again, maybe if Marvel Films gets the rights and puts Doom into the MCU we'll finally get him done properly.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
Of the attempts at FF films, I've only seen Rise of the Silver Surfer (the second one with Ioan Gruffud, Jessica Alba, Chris Pine, and Michael Chiklis) and that was a godawful mess. Saw it as an inflight movie so didn't pay, at least. How the hell could they waste a chance to put Galactus on screen (see below for Galactus)? Hopefully, if Marvel gets the rights back and puts them into the MCU, we'll get a proper Galactus at some point. Of course, all the FF movies have messed up Dr. Doom, another great villain who's been totally wasted on screen. Again, maybe if Marvel Films gets the rights and puts Doom into the MCU we'll finally get him done properly.

You mean you didn't like seeing Galactus portrayed as a giant space anus?

If the government allows the Disney-FOX deal to go through, you can be sure that Galactus will be the big bad in Marvel's Phase 4.

FOX was actually intending to do a Dr Doom standalone movie before the Disney deal happened. I doubt that will happen now.

I agree with you that those two villains would be great additions to the MCU. I have no desire to see a fourth reboot of the Fantastic Four though.

I think it's just too hard to make these guys seem cool...

Testing The Waters.
0 likes
I think I can trust Marvel Studios to make a good FF film.

Marvel's track record of taking obscure, not particularly fan-favorite characters and making fun, profitable movies around them is hard to ignore. Let's not forget that Iron Man was B-list before the first Iron Man movie came out. Guardians. Ant Man. Dr. Strange. If there's a good premise for the first family, Marvel will make it.

I can't imagine them not using Galactus and the like, even if they don't make a FF movie.

The most difficult thing they have in front of them if the merger goes through is recasting Wolverine. It's more or less a necessity, as introducing any mutants without Wolverine is asking for trouble. At the same time, it's going to be hard as hell to sell putting the claws on anyone other than Hugh Jackman.

Trying to replace RDJ as Tony Stark is going to be the same way, eventually.
0 likes
Quote by RejectReality

The most difficult thing they have in front of them if the merger goes through is recasting Wolverine. It's more or less a necessity, as introducing any mutants without Wolverine is asking for trouble. At the same time, it's going to be hard as hell to sell putting the claws on anyone other than Hugh Jackman.

Which is kind of too bad, because the Fox X-Men continuity introduced X-23, the female clone of Logan who replaced him in the comics. However, I imagine Marvel would rather do a hard reboot and start from scratch with a new Logan than follow on from that.

Quote by RejectReality
Trying to replace RDJ as Tony Stark is going to be the same way, eventually.

Yeah, that will be rough. There's ample precedent in the comics for other armoured heroes taking Stark's place at times (e.g. Rhodey) but finding an actor who can bring the kind of charisma that RDJ has brought to the MCU will be a tall order.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by RejectReality
I think I can trust Marvel Studios to make a good FF film.

Marvel's track record of taking obscure, not particularly fan-favorite characters and making fun, profitable movies around them is hard to ignore. Let's not forget that Iron Man was B-list before the first Iron Man movie came out. Guardians. Ant Man. Dr. Strange. If there's a good premise for the first family, Marvel will make it.

Very good point. Marvel has done a very good job at maximizing B list characters. Those characters didn't have 4 failed attempts behind them though. Just like with the Green Goblin, I think some time will need to pass before marvel resurrects the FF.

Quote by RejectReality

This is the main issue for Disney following the upcoming merger. Wolverine is the most marketable character. But aside from the R-rated Logan, I don't think FOX ever did a good job at presenting who the character actually was.

It will be easy to shoehorn a new wolverine into phase 4 avengers in order to sell action figures, but I hope they hold off. It they reboot the X-Men, they should start simple with the original 5. Focus on the social implications that the comic explored without any bullshit alternate timelines.

It's funny that people now seem to not be able to picture anyone other that Jackman in the role.... but when he was announced back in like 1998 he seemed like an odd choice. He was an unknown, 6'3 Australian broadway actor who only took the part because Russell Crowe turned it down.

Aside from professor X and Magneto, I think FOX fucked up the X-Men. They tried to make Wolverine a leading man and ignored all the other characters. I hope in the MCU, they choose to keep the X-Men separate from the rest as a darker, maybe R-rated alternative.
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
No, but Spider-Man had Spider-Man 3 and the Garfield Franchise. Fans trusted Marvel, and didn't hold the previous films against the character. Casual movie-goers took a liking to Holland as well. He was a major selling point for Civil War, and I think the end of Infinity War demonstrates how much of an impact he's having on viewers.

I have the feeling they would use the same sort of introduction for the FF characters. Bring them in for a reasonably short guest spot in some other movie, see how people react, and then decide whether to green-light a full movie.

I'm old enough to remember thinking "Beetlejuice is frikkin' BATMAN! FAIL!" I ended up kicking myself for not going to see it in theaters when I got the chance to watch it on VHS. That's why I never balked at Jackman, or Affleck as Batman.

While we're on the subject of B-list and below — Black Panther. Never been able to sustain a comic run or make any real money, but the movie blew up big time both because it was a good movie, and hit with excellent timing as well.

It's still holding on to a top 10 spot in the box office, and it's already out on digital! It was up to #7 again the week Infinity War came out. Even with weak competition, that's a hell of an accomplishment.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by RejectReality
No, but Spider-Man had Spider-Man 3 and the Garfield Franchise. Fans trusted Marvel, and didn't hold the previous films against the character. Casual movie-goers took a liking to Holland as well. He was a major selling point for Civil War, and I think the end of Infinity War demonstrates how much of an impact he's having on viewers.

I have the feeling they would use the same sort of introduction for the FF characters. Bring them in for a reasonably short guest spot in some other movie, see how people react, and then decide whether to green-light a full movie.

I agree with all this. I think that Spider man is a universally loved character though. FF... not so much. I'm sure Kevin Feige could use them in a great way. I'm more interested in seeing how the incorporate the peripheral characters (Galactus, Doom, Silver Surfer).

Quote by RejectReality

While we're on the subject of B-list and below — Black Panther. Never been able to sustain a comic run or make any real money, but the movie blew up big time both because it was a good movie, and hit with excellent timing as well.
It's still holding on to a top 10 spot in the box office, and it's already out on digital! It was up to #7 again the week Infinity War came out. Even with weak competition, that's a hell of an accomplishment.

Definitely. But there were cultural implications that contributed to the success of Black Panther.

The MCU has been masterful in taking little known heroes and making them A list. When I first heard that they were making and Ant Man movie I thought... they really are scraping the bottom of the barrel here... But it turned out to be one of my favorite marvel movies.

I actually kind of liked newest Fantastic Four. I thought the tone was good. The studio interference obviously ruined it. They were obviously trying to replicate the tone of the DC universe.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
For me, there are two lists that do have some overlap. There's a difference between "favorite" and "best."

To start, let's throw out ALL of the DCEU films sans Wonder Woman which are total garbage meant for the dump. Hate all of them. And we throw out Wonder Woman, because, while it is a solid film, I wouldn't rate it as the best. An eh villain, a decent plot, with a Zach Snyder CG-I ending.

Here's what I'm thinking.

1.) Logan.
2.) The Dark Knight
3.) Captain America Winter Soldier
4.) Iron Man

All four of these bring a level of directorial skill, acting ability, cinematography, and real world issue nods. Logan is an acting tour de force. The Dark Knight transcends the "comic book movie" label. Winter Soldier brings in the very real issue of governmental surveillance and oversight of the populace and using preventative measures of mass murder.

Iron Man was darker than I remember it being with a far more serious vibe. It was an angry, guilty Tony Stark.

Everything else comes after those 4 in interchangeable order. I won't rank them, I'll just include the last 6 in my top 10 list.

Deadpool
Batman Begins (it's a very underrated in the trilogy and is, imo, one of the best origin movies of any hero)
X2 X-Men United
Thor Ragnorak
Guardians Vol 1
Avengers

The Incredibles gets an honorable mention as I kept it as live action films only. But it is easily one of the best superhero movies animated or not.
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
Loved the Incredibles as well. And Megamind. Looking forward to Incredibles 2 in my overly packed movie-going summer. Deadpool's next weekend.

I never even made it all the way through Fant4stic. I made the mistake of going to watch Amazing Spider-Man 2 in theaters even though I had barely found the first one tolerable. After that experience, the reek of Fant4stic — even for free — was too much to deal with. I shut it off in less than an hour and said, "Nope!"

I ended up watching the older one instead, out of pure spite.

At least Michael B. Jordan followed Chris Evans' lead and escaped to Marvel, where he was allowed to thoroughly redeem his association with that stinkburger. Two former Human Torches in an MCU without an FF yet.

I really should get around to watching Creed, too...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Have to say that Infinity Wars is the best superhero film to date, having just seen it yesterday
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan

Batman Begins (it's a very underrated in the trilogy and is, imo, one of the best origin movies of any hero)

I agree. I'm not a big DC fan but I love Batman Begins.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Batman: The Movie (1966). It was the first movie I saw in the cinema, although I'm not exactly sure why as I was born 7 years after it premiered. Anyway, it has the best looking batmobile in my opinion.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

0 likes
Quote by noll
Batman: The Movie (1966). It was the first movie I saw in the cinema, although I'm not exactly sure why as I was born 7 years after it premiered. Anyway, it has the best looking batmobile in my opinion.

I was one year-old in 1966 but became a fan when the series was in syndication in the seventies. I think I first saw the movie at some kid of movie day in my school (this was in the days before home VCRs). I've seen it a few times, probably half a dozen.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Did someone mention superheroes?

UNDERDOG!!!!

0 likes
Quote by DamonX

I agree. I'm not a big DC fan but I love Batman Begins.

I have a weird thing with superheroes. Back in my comic-book reading days, I mostly read Marvel (Captain America, Avengers, FF, X-Men). But my favorite superhero is, and always has been, Batman. Go figure.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Ironman 1 and 2. RDJ is really good and the character is kind of a dick. I saw these right before I got sick of superhero movies in general and the endless parade of 20 minute fight scenes. I suppose Wonder Woman and Black Panther were good, l saw them, I am just too burnt out on the genre.

The Incredibles was good, though I don't know if it qualifies. Also, the first Spider-Man 2 (does that even make sense?) with Alfred Molina playing Dr. Oct was good (trivia note - Michael Chabon got a screenwriting credit on it).

Oh, and Deadpool made me LOL several times.
Lurker
0 likes
Okay I'm going to go with verbal with Iron Man #1 and throw in Guardians of the Galaxy. Both movies were entertaining as hell. While I will admit there are flaws in the story the pure enjoyment factor I experienced during those movies superseded any other flaws.
Lurker
0 likes
Okay I'm going to go with verbal with Iron Man #1 and throw in Guardians of the Galaxy. Both movies were entertaining as hell. While I will admit there are flaws in the story the pure enjoyment factor I experienced during those movies superseded any other flaws.
Lurker
0 likes

Jamie Fox just got cast as Spawn....

My favorite comic... I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Apparently it only has a budget of 10-12 million which makes me a bit apprehensive.
The Linebacker
0 likes
The old Batman movie with Michael Keaton, Kim Basinger, and Jack Nicholson. Like all Batmans, it is hokie and campy, but a lot more fun than all of the newer ones. I watch and enjoy those but to me the old one is the best.

I liked Jack Nicholson as the Joker better than Heath Ledger.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
I have to go with Captain America: The Winter Soldier. That felt more like a good old fashioned spy thriller with some awesome superhero moments. Just watching Cap trash an elevator full of special forces guys was with the ticket all by itself
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
does unbreakable count? i know it's not a superhero movie per se, but i ABSOLUTELY adore it. it truly is m. night shymalan's most underrated movie and should be watched multiple times to be appreciated.

Say. Her. Name.