Oh Canada - the Music

last reply
41 replies
2.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Force of Nature
0 likes
it is my intention that this thread presents the music of Canadians and those with strong ties to Canada.

I will start with jackie shane. born in Nashville, she settled in Toronto where she performed and recorded. released in 1962 when I was 12, 'any other way' spoke directly to my soul.

Jackie Shane - Any Other Way (Live version)

Looks like we're in for a nasty spell of wether.

Gracie Goes To Hollywood's - True

The Night They Tried to Close RUMPLATIONS Bar (with JamesLlewellyn)

0 likes
Well, you can't have a Canadian music thread without these guys. Founded in the late sixties, they had already retired when drummer and songwriter Neal Peart died last year, but their music continues to influence the scene both at home and abroad. Earlier this summer surviving members Geddy Lee (bass and vocals) and Alex Lifeson (guitar) presented the humanitarian award at the Junos (our counterpart to the Grammies) to The Tragically Hip, who lost their lead singer to the same brain cancer that took Peart.

0 likes
Montreal's Leonard Cohen became a legend even in his lifetime. His poetry and two award-winning novels alone (The Favorite Game and Beautiful Losers) would have been enough. But he was best known, especially outside Canada, as a singer-songwriter.

0 likes
More Healey, this time with his own trio, the Jeff Healey Band. His cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps is incredible. This version is live from the 1997 Montreux Festival. (it does work, just isn't showing a cover image for some reason)

0 likes
And not only was Healey one of this country's greatest blues-rock guitar players, but he was also a jazz musician (he played a mean trumpet) and an expert on early jazz who hosted a show on Toronto's all-jazz community station for several years before his death. The Jazz Wizards was his band in that genre.

0 likes
Triumph was a powerful force in Canadian rock in the eighties, a power trio that lived up to the name. Not sure of their current status. Rik Emmett (vocals and guitars) is still around I know but I am not sure where the band is at. They do still own Metalworks, a studio in Toronto that's been used by host of Canadian and foreign artists over the years since the band started it.

Force of Nature
0 likes
long john baldry was a londoner who emigrated to canada in the late 70s. he was one of the founders of the british blues and played with (almost) everyone on both sides of the pond. nancy nash hails from saskatchewan and is a blues, pop, and aboriginal singer.

Long John Baldry & Nancy Nash - To Love Somebody

Looks like we're in for a nasty spell of wether.

Gracie Goes To Hollywood's - True

The Night They Tried to Close RUMPLATIONS Bar (with JamesLlewellyn)

0 likes
Speaking of Buffy, she won the Polaris Prize, Canada's premier award for albums, in 2015. The year before, another indigenous artist, Innu throat singer Tanya Tagaq, had won. So naturally on Buffy's next album, they teamed up. And this became one of my favorite songs of 2017. A driving blend of rock and indigenous sounds that just does not let up.

0 likes
And if that didn't show you that Buffy Sainte-Marie knows how to rock out, how about this one?

Tinker Bell
0 likes
I LOVE this thread!!!
I am Canadian and very proud to be one!
Thanks Grace for this!!

We cannot have a Canadian Music thread without The Tragically Hip. They are Canada’s band (my favourite too) and they brought us all together that last night in Kingston when they had their last concert. Our whole country watched and sang and cried! For those who do not
know The Hip their frontman Gord Downie had been diagnosed with incurable brain cancer. However the band decided to do this last tour coast to coast and it was unforgettable. I was lucky enough to get tickets to one of their last shows in Toronto.
Here’s my favourite Hip song! Hope you enjoy.
RIP to the late great Gord Downie ??❤️??

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OB965aUPsmM
Please read my naughty new Micro.

~Famished~

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/microfiction/famished-1

0 likes
Amen, Pixie. One of the biggest, most influential bands in Canada over the past three decades. I had a classmate in library school (yes, I'm a librarian by training) who was from Kingston and had been a fan from their early days. This was in '89, just before they really went big in the 90s. The loss of Downie was a big blow to Canadian music.

My personal favorite Hip song:

And to be honest, I was not a big fan in the beginning but with songs like this, they definitely grew on me.
0 likes
And here is someone pretty much brand new and poised for (we fans hope) bigger things. Faouzia was born in Morocco but her family immigrated to Canada when she was still a toddler so she grew up in, of all places, rural Manitoba. She is currently based in Winnipeg where she is attending university and cranking out wonderful music. I first heard her in 2017 in a performance with Canadian musical couple Whitehorse (who I shall get to eventually in this thread) and her voice just floored me. Then I found out she was also writing music. Now she's been cranking out tunes, and even duetting with John Legend and Kelly Clarkson, over the past few years. The pandemic has kept her from touring to date, but that's coming to an end it sounds like. And her first album has been looming, it feels like, forever so hopefully that comes soon.

Her latest release (as in, came out yesterday) is an orchestral setting of Hero, a song she originally released earlier this summer.

0 likes
And Faouzia's biggest hit to date, a team-up with American singer John Legend.

And, by the way, she is trilingual, speaking and singing in English, French, and a Moroccan dialect of Arabic. In fact, that first time I heard her, she sang in both French and English.
Tinker Bell
0 likes
Quote by seeker4
Amen, Pixie. One of the biggest, most influential bands in Canada over the past three decades. I had a classmate in library school (yes, I'm a librarian by training) who was from Kingston and had been a fan from their early days. This was in '89, just before they really went big in the 90s. The loss of Downie was a big blow to Canadian music.

My personal favorite Hip song:

And to be honest, I was not a big fan in the beginning but with songs like this, they definitely grew on me.
p

I’ve been a fan from the early days. I have family from Kingston area and was introduced to The Hip by one of them.
Bobcaygeon is another of my favourites too! Actually saw them in concert in Bobcaygeon. Was awesome!

Here’s another favourite of mine. It’s so hard to pick just one!
(I can’t seem to figure out how to get the Video link?)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=35mJvcY104M

~Famished~

Tinker Bell
0 likes
How about this Canadian rocker? Can’t forget Bryan Adams! Also originally from Kingston and highly successful through the 2010’s.

Here’s on of my favourites by him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eFjjO_lhf9c

~Famished~

Tinker Bell
0 likes
Jan Arden
I love this album ~ Living under June. Never left my CD player back then. Every song is amazing!
Saw her in concert at a smaller venue. She was terrific!

~Famished~

0 likes
Hmm. No Sarah McLachlan yet. Born and raised in Halifax, but based on the West Coast since the start of her career (she records for Nettwerk, which is based in Vancouver), Sarah released her first album in 1988. She quickly became a major singer-songwriter at home and, eventually, internationally. Her "Lilith Fair" all-female touring festival was a big event in its heyday. Of late, she's been fairly quiet, releasing new material occasionally but also spending a lot of time writing and being a mom. Still, her music is going to be around for a while to come. Possession was the opening song on Fumbling Towards Ecstasy which is, for me, her finest album in a string of great albums. This is a live version from her 1999 live release Mirrorball.

0 likes
The next album after Fumbling... was Surfacing, also a terrific album with plenty of great songs. Just didn't hit me as hard for some reason. This is one of several hits from Surfacing, again the live version from Mirrorball. I saw Sarah live on the Fumbling Towards Ecstasy tour and she really is a great live artist.

0 likes
While I was a fan of Sarah McLachlan right from her first release, the lead-off single from Solace, her second album, was the song that really clinched it. It remains my favorite single song from her to this day. Path of Thorns (Terms), again live from Mirrorball.