favourite guitar solos

last reply
24 replies
1.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
along with a note on why you dig them...

lol never cared a whole bunch for her, but her guitarist sure serves up something tasty here, @ 1:24....

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
awesome three-way trade-off John, Paul and George pull off here. I'm sure it says somewhere on the internet who plays which one, but it's fun to guess. @ 45:53....

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
if you're feeling down, this'll hopefully pick you up. @ 1:32....

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
this one will be too "unmusical" for some lol. For this hombre: wailing, shredding fucking awesomeness @ 1:53....

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
maybe my alltime favourite. "Feel" is a very subjective call (one rocker's "awesome" could be another bluesman's "huh?"), but here - Steve Howe, imo, is FUCKING BLEEDING with feel here @ 21:20. Cool trade-off double tracking, panning back and forth between left and right channels. On that groovy Gibson hollow body of his. This is the perfect, ultimate bit of music for fucking to, which is why this passage should really be started at 18:33 instead....

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Alex did a lot of great solos - hard to decide, but I think I'll go with this puppy, @ 3:12....

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Nice ones.

Mines are mostly personal favorites that I enjoy either for the overall creativity, emotion portrayed, significance in the song, etc. Skills are of secondary importance to me, in most cases.

First, just about anything by Gary Moore. This song is especially amazing. The best part starts at 3:50:

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Deep Purple (Ritchie Blackmore) - Space Truckin' (Live 1972)

He's mostly messing around during the first few minutes (still amazing). The best part starts at 5:30:

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Jimi Hendrix - Stone Free (Live 1970)

This is absolutely divine:

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Led Zeppelin (Jimmy Page) - Immigrant Song (Live 1972)

Lots of awesome solos from Led Zeppelin, but I like this live version of Immigrant Song. The main solo starts at 2:14:

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Cream (Eric Clapton) - Crossroads (Live 2005)

This entire song:

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Bad Religion - Shades of Truth

I love the overall despair in this solo. Starts at 1:51.

"You don't know I'm alright-iigght, yeah!"

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Bad Religion - The Quickening

A song about abortion. I love this solo for its 'vertiginous madness'. The way the solo keeps going when the singer resumes his singing is amazing; I've yet the find a singer who can display so much passion and defiance in his voice.

"To come alive!"

The solo starts at 1:37:

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
King Crimson - Level Five

This song simply is amazing from the start until the end. Completely insane and absolutely brilliant. Solo starts at 5:03:

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Pink Floyd (David Gilmour) - Comfortably Numb

No introduction nor reasons needed. Solo at 4:33:

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Especially in Michigan

I love the short solo at 2:22. Simple but effective:

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
SP - cool B.R. guitar solo/vox at same time. That Crimson was fucking rad. Can't believe I never heard that one. (biggest KC freak - saw them in 84)

to return the KC..........from 2:56 to about 4:53 is some heavy shit, especially for 1973.
This is when headphones were really starting to become more important lol.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I always liked how this top-40 am radio hit from the 70's got away with the craziest guitar solo @ 1:44 (great band).........

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
a very brief one, but cool in that majestic George Harrison-y way @ 1:15........

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Brother's in Arms - Dire Straits
Out Ta Get Me - Guns n Roses
Five Magics - Megadeth
Aces High - Iron Maiden
Let there be rock - ACDC
Bigmouth Strikes Again - The smiths

I'm more of a fan of interesting rhythm guitar that sits well in the song rather than an indulgent, flatulent solo.
{allba115-feed-5eed-facedeadbeef}
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
there's video'ed performances of this number, but the original recording still has the best of those solos, at 1:26

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Adrian Belew's work with the strat I always dug, here at :32, and then a noisy free-for-all with the esteemed Mr. Fripp at 4:32....

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Telegraph Road--Dire Straits--Solo by Mark Knoffler
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
anything from Synyster Gates of Avenged Sevenfold, hes my fave when it comes to guitar solos, and the band itself is pretty much awesome as hell for sure...