0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
1) Full Metal Jacket
2) Platoon
3) Coming Home
4) Apocolypse Now
Lurker
I'm amending my previous post. The Vietnam War Documentary is very good. I'm up to episode 8. (That's about 13 hours I think...)

The soundtrack is gold as well.
Rookie Scribe
I really love war movies and i always prefer watching them online for free without any hassle on my iOS and android phone.
Lurker
Full Metal Jacket
Apocalypse Now
The Deer Hunter
Lurker
Although it's not a movie, as per the requested theme of this thread, and it has been mentioned a few times already,
but I just finished watching Ken Burns' documentary on The Vietnam War.

I learned a lot. As always, he and those he works with, have done an amazing job. I've read some critiques on line,
but seriously, it was an amazing product of who knows how many thousands of hours. I don't know. How do you
recommend something like this? I do, by the way, but it's such a heavy, complicated, convoluted, emotional topic.

I learned a lot. I have a better understanding. I think anyone who watches this would too. I am left with 'why?' and
'how could they do those things?" Geopolitics at its worst and finest. Reinforced the fact that I want to visit the
Vietnam Veterans' Memorial. I've had a dream of approaching someone visiting their loved one, and asking if they
would tell me about their son or daughter, husband or wife, sister or brother, and how they lived, not died.

It may get me a punch in the mouth, or a few laughs and smiles, and a hug of appreciation. I'm betting on the latter.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
The Deer Hunter is probably the "best" movie, mostly because of that ending.

I've only seen it twice though. The movie I keep coming back to watch is Apocalypse Now. A flawed and self indulgent movie, but hey, I'm a flawed and self indulgent guy. It's endlessly watchable, with great performances, and I see something new each time.

So Deer Hunter may be the best, but Apocalypse Now is my favorite.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
Quote by sprite
for the record, i hated full metal jacket. it seemed (to me) to glorify violence and it seemed soul-less. of course, i'm not a big fan, normally, of mayhem in slow motion, but still, it seemed to take it one step further to the point that all i really recall of it is the over the top gore.

I didn't like Full Metal Jacket. Cold and soulless. Please nobody hit me for saying this, but I think Kubrick, while undoubtedly a genius, is kinda over-rated. Most of his movies seem cold and soulless to me, brilliantly made but presented with such reserve. And enough with the symmetrical shots already!

There is a low-budget 70s B-movie horror movie called Dead of Night about a soldier that comes back from Vietnam as a zombie-like dead guy that unnerved me much more than any of the Hollywood big budget flicks being mentioned. He's welcomed home with flags and parades and hugs and kisses and he doesn't react at all. He doesn't care. He's dead. Not a well-made movie, but deeply disturbing, with a powerful anti-war punch.
Lurker
I've seen the videos
1) Full Metal Jacket
2) Platoon
3) Coming Home
4) Apocalypse Now...spelled correctly,
but sorry, I haven't seen good one.

Nothing good comes from that kind of thing I think.

Since most here at Lush are from other countries?

It's not so important maybe?...smile
Active Ink Slinger
The "Green Berets" is the best movie about Vietnam. That I can think of.
Active Ink Slinger
Full Metal Jacket
We Were Soldiers
The Boys in Company C
And many didn't appreciate Hamburger Hill, but I thought it was quite good.
Active Ink Slinger
I am a Vietnam veteran, so my perspective may be a little different. I will post my top ten list of Vietnam movies once I find where I saved it, but here are my thoughts on some of those mentioned already.

The Green Berets - After I got out of the Army, I went to college at the University of Texas in Austin. My roommate was from Buena Park, CA and I spent the summer of 1977 with him and his family. His dad was head of security for Sears in Southern California. One day, I was helping customers load purchases at the Buena Park store. One of those customers was the real, actual John Wayne. While we were waiting for his stuff, I got a chance to talk to him. I told him that I loved a lot of his movies, but The Green Berets was not one of them. He agreed that it was not the most realistic war movie he had done.

Apocalypse Now - Half of the movie was terrific. The other half was patently absurd.

Full Metal Jacket - The basic training part was mostly good, but the fact that the fat guy was still fat at the end of basic training was just impossibly absurd. However, the most impressive thing about that movie was that every single Vietnam scene was actually filmed in England. As someone who spent some time in and around the city of Hue, that fact just blew my mind. The other thing that stuck with me was the Rolling Stones' song Paint it Black. Before seeing this movie, it was just an okay song to me. After, it is one of my top ten Stones songs.

We Were Soldiers - That unit was the 2nd Battalion of the 7th Cavalry. No battalion in US Army history has more combat streamers than the 2/7. The 7th Cavalry's song is Garry Owen, which was selected by Custer. Once you've heard it, you will never forget it. I was in the 2/7 when I got out of the Army at Fort Hood, Texas. I had the chance to meet the real Joe Galloway. That battalion was basically dropped by helicopter adjacent to a North Vietnamese Division headquarters, unbeknownst to the Army. One of the survivors was the son of TV newsman Howard K. Smith. After he was wounded, he saw that his area was being over-run by the NVA, so he pretended to be dead. During the night, a NVA machine gunner used his body to support his machine gun. The guy never realized that he was alive.

The Deer Hunter - It had it's moments, but overall, it was very unrealistic, in so many ways.

Coming Home - I know that many VN vets hate Jane Fonda more than almost anyone, but I disagree. This is a tour de force IMO.

Platoon - There may never be a better movie made about Vietnam.
Active Ink Slinger
I found my list. There is a website called Criticker where you can rate any movie on a scale of 1-100. I am very tough on Vietnam movies, so I had a tough time coming up with ten. A couple of these are documentaries and one has a somewhat tenuous tie to Vietnam, but it is my list. Anything with a score of 87 or more is a great movie IMO.

1. Platoon (96)
2. The Killing Fields (92)
2. We Were Soldiers (92)
4. Coming Home (88)
4. The Great Santini (88)
6. Forest Gump (86)
7. Full Metal Jacket (85)
8. Dear America: Letters Home From Vietnam (84)
8. Hearts and Minds (84)
10. Apocalypse Now (81)
Wild at Heart
Quote by ivanka_simkiewisz
I've seen the videos
1) Full Metal Jacket
2) Platoon
3) Coming Home
4) Apocalypse Now...spelled correctly,
but sorry, I haven't seen good one.

Nothing good comes from that kind of thing I think.

Since most here at Lush are from other countries?

It's not so important maybe?...smile

I wish I could see this guy's setup. Like his creepy little dungeon. Him at his job. Like I want to really see what makes him tick. It would be fascinating. I'd go so far as to say I want to make a documentary on this dude ivanka.
Lurker
Quote by 69Kisses96
I am a Vietnam veteran, so my perspective may be a little different. I will post my top ten list of Vietnam movies once I find where I saved it, but here are my thoughts on some of those mentioned already.

The Green Berets - After I got out of the Army, I went to college at the University of Texas in Austin. My roommate was from Buena Park, CA and I spent the summer of 1977 with him and his family. His dad was head of security for Sears in Southern California. One day, I was helping customers load purchases at the Buena Park store. One of those customers was the real, actual John Wayne. While we were waiting for his stuff, I got a chance to talk to him. I told him that I loved a lot of his movies, but The Green Berets was not one of them. He agreed that it was not the most realistic war movie he had done.

Apocalypse Now - Half of the movie was terrific. The other half was patently absurd.

Full Metal Jacket - The basic training part was mostly good, but the fact that the fat guy was still fat at the end of basic training was just impossibly absurd. However, the most impressive thing about that movie was that every single Vietnam scene was actually filmed in England. As someone who spent some time in and around the city of Hue, that fact just blew my mind. The other thing that stuck with me was the Rolling Stones' song Paint it Black. Before seeing this movie, it was just an okay song to me. After, it is one of my top ten Stones songs.

We Were Soldiers - That unit was the 2nd Battalion of the 7th Cavalry. No battalion in US Army history has more combat streamers than the 2/7. The 7th Cavalry's song is Garry Owen, which was selected by Custer. Once you've heard it, you will never forget it. I was in the 2/7 when I got out of the Army at Fort Hood, Texas. I had the chance to meet the real Joe Galloway. That battalion was basically dropped by helicopter adjacent to a North Vietnamese Division headquarters, unbeknownst to the Army. One of the survivors was the son of TV newsman Howard K. Smith. After he was wounded, he saw that his area was being over-run by the NVA, so he pretended to be dead. During the night, a NVA machine gunner used his body to support his machine gun. The guy never realized that he was alive.

The Deer Hunter - It had it's moments, but overall, it was very unrealistic, in so many ways.

Coming Home - I know that many VN vets hate Jane Fonda more than almost anyone, but I disagree. This is a tour de force IMO.

Platoon - There may never be a better movie made about Vietnam.

I really appreciated this post and your input on this subject. I actually have never even heard of "Coming Home" but I'll put it on my list. I'm glad you thought Platoon was the best depiction. I was wondering if you saw the other two of Oliver Stone's trilogy and what you thought of them. "Born on the 4th of July" and "Heaven and Earth".

I for one, am a little perplexed that the entertainment industry hasn't capitalized on the complexities and intricacies of the Vietnam War in recent years. I hope to see some new material , but I actually haven't even heard an inkling of anything Vietnam related coming down the pike.
Sexy Seductive Siren
Way before my time, but I liked Apocalypse Now I suspect that it is more realistic and truthful that the Government would ever admit.
Meagan
Lurker
I was going to say Danger Close and Killing Fields.
Lurker
Born On Forth Of July
Advanced Wordsmith
Platoon and The Deer Hunter. I liked Apocalypse Now a lot but it wasn’t really about the war in Vietnam even though it was set there. It was a retelling of Conrad’s Heart of Darkness.