Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

101 Best Written Shows Ever...how many did you watch or enjoy?

last reply
33 replies
4.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Exclusive-Best-Written-Shows-Ever-TV-Writers-1066234.aspx

TV writers recently picked what they thought were the 101 best written TV shows ever. You can read the full article at the link above, but here is the list.

1. The Sopranos
2. Seinfeld
3. The Twilight Zone (1959)
4. All in the Family
5. M*A*S*H
6. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
7. Mad Men
8. Cheers
9. The Wire
10. The West Wing
11. The Simpsons
12. I Love Lucy
13. Breaking Bad
14. The Dick Van Show
15. Hill Street Blues
16. Arrested Development
17. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
18. Six Feet Under
19. Taxi
20. The Larry Sanders Show
21. 30 Rock
22. Friday Night Lights
23. Frasier
24. Friends
25. Saturday Night Live
26. The X-Files
27. Lost
28. ER
29. The Cosby Show
30. Curb Your Enthusiasm
31. The Honeymooners
32. Deadwood
33. Star Trek
34. Modern Family
35. Twin Peaks
36. NYPD Blue
37. The Carol Burnett Show
38. Battlestar Galactica (2005)
39. Sex & The City
40. Game of Thrones
41. (tie) The Bob Newhart Show; Your Show of Shows
43. (tie) Downton Abbey; Law & Order; Thirtysomething
46. (tie) Homicide: Life on the Street; St. Elsewhere
48. Homeland
49. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
50. (tie) The Colbert Report; The Good Wife; The Office (UK)
53. Northern Exposure
54. The Wonder Years
55. L.A. Law
56. Sesame Street
57. Columbo
58. (tie) Fawlty Towers; The Rockford Files
60. (tie) Freaks and Geeks; Moonlighting
62. Roots
63. (tie) Everybody Loves Raymond; South Park
65. Playhouse 90
66. (tie) Dexter; The Office (US)
68. My So-Called Life
69. Golden Girls
70. The Andy Griffith Show
71. (tie) 24; Roseanne; The Shield
74. (tie) House; Murphy Brown
76. (tie) Barney Miller; I, Claudius
78. The Odd Couple
79. (tie) Alfred Hitchcock Presents; Monty Python's Flying Circus; Star Trek: The Next Generation; Upstairs, Downstairs
83. Get Smart
84. (tie) The Defenders; Gunsmoke
86. (tie) Justified; Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show)
88. Band of Brothers
89. Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In
90. The Prisoner
91. (tie) Absolutely Fabulous (UK); The Muppet Show
93. Boardwalk Empire
94. Will & Grace
95. Family Ties
96. (tie) Lonesome Dove; Soap
98. (tie) The Fugitive; Late Night with David Letterman; Louie
101. Oz

How many of them did you watch or enjoy? What do you think of the list? Any shows you are surprised by either being on the list or left off the list?

I watched several of them but I was pleasantly surprised that Oz squeaked out a place on the list. One of my favorite shows of all time.

I also loved seeing Lonesome Dove, Soap, The Fugitive, Star Trek: TNG, The Shield, Golden Girls, Dexter, LA Law, Law & Order, Game of Thrones, NYPD Blue, The Carol Burnett Show, Star Trek, and Mad Men.

The only 2 shows on there that I have never understand their appeal are The Good Wife and Modern Family. I find both of them to be very boring.
It took a while to go through the whole list but I watched about 35 of them at one time or another. Probably less than 10 that I watched religiously. In my opinion M.A.S.H. should be at the top of the list.
Too many of them to list. A lot of my old favorites are on there (Cheers, Star Trek, Python, Fawlty Towers, Columbo). One series that I can't find on there that would make my list of best written shows: Blackadder.

Oddly, I have not watched the number one. The Sopranos was carried on a fairly expensive pay TV channel up here in Canada when it first ran and I didn't have it. Haven't caught up with it yet since I don't really watch much TV these days and most of what I do watch is documentary/reality (Mythbusters, Nova, River Monsters, various documentaries that I record from various places).
I've watched and enjoyed around 16 of the shows on that list, I've seen a few episodes from a few other shows on there, too. I'd have to say my favorites that I saw on that list include Mad Men, The Simpsons, Arrested Development, 30 Rock, Saturday Night Live, Lost, The Colbert Report, Everybody Loves Raymond, and House. I was a little surprised Arrested Development was on the list, just because I don't know many people who have seen it.
Quote by sluttytwenties
I was a little surprised Arrested Development was on the list, just because I don't know many people who have seen it.

I think that the Netflix revival is helping it get some new eyeballs. I certainly didn't watch it until they got it (prior to the release of the new season, though) and I've got at least one person at work who signed up for Netflix just to see it.
It's a very parochially American list, isn't it! Just a few UK shows thrown in for "snob value", and absolutely nothing from any other European country! I've never even heard of some of these, although I guess some of them must be old shows.

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx

I've only watched about 10 of those, SNL and Dexter are my favorites off that list
2. Seinfeld
4. All in the Family
5. M*A*S*H
8. Cheers
11. The Simpsons
12. I Love Lucy
13. Breaking Bad
16. Arrested Development
18. Six Feet Under
19. Taxi
21. 30 Rock
22. Friday Night Lights
23. Frasier
25. Saturday Night Live
26. The X-Files
28. ER
29. The Cosby Show
31. The Honeymooners
33. Star Trek
54. The Wonder Years
57. Columbo
66. (tie) Dexter; The Office (US)
69. Golden Girls
74. (tie) House
78. The Odd Couple
79. Star Trek: The Next Generation
83. Get Smart
86. (tie) Justified
88. Band of Brothers
91. (tie) Absolutely Fabulous (UK);
95. Family Ties

Some of those make NO sense - Sesame Street? Buffy the Vampire Slayer. LOL

Yeesh
11. The Simpsons
24. Friends
25. Saturday Night Live
56. Sesame Street
63. Everybody Loves Raymond
71. Roseanne
74. House
98. Late Night with David Letterman
Have probably watched twelve to fifteen faithfully. Can watch some of them like Seinfeld, MASH, TAXI, and Cheers, over and over and still enjoy them
45 of them.

Taxi, yes. Watched Andy Griffith on Nick with sperm donor before he passed. he loved that shit.

6 feet under...wonderful, and great ending. Sopranos...not so much.

Such a great series.
BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER!!

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

I'm with Sprite on that. Buffy rocked! Also Firefly, which nobody watched, but if they did, loved.
Sex and the city ranked higher than Dexter? And Dexter tied with the office?
X files should be higher... Colbert should be way higher... and sopranos #1?
LOL at this list. Lost shouldn't even be mentioned nor should any version of the office.

Go home writers, your all drunk.

(To answer OP: I like around 16 on the list but i've seen most of them.)
"you're," yes drunkeness leads to oversights. Like really good shows.

I thought this question was about which were the best written shows not necessarily which shows you personally liked which may or may not be the same thing. I have great admiration for a number of US writers Paul Simon in particular and you can see his influence in spin off shows like the Odd Couple. To have the skill and depth of feeling to illustrate humourously the problems of two conflicting personalities requires an impressive talent. Or Joseph Heller who's style in my opinion highly influenced Richard Hooker who wrote MASH whereby the ideals of the 60's are presented through the brilliant Grouch Marxesque one liners of Haweye Pierce ''Oh when the war is finished around here they'll take it on the road. '' - Where war is compared to a fabricated money making theatrical exercise. I therefore feel that such an issue requires more than a ''hit parade'' reaction and hope I have gone some little way in illustrating that.
Sesame Street? Freaks and Geeks? Muppet Show? Having Roseanne tied with 24 and The Shield is a joke.. makes me question the validity of the entire list..
Your list lacked one show the greatest ever FIREFLY!!!!!! It may have only lasted one season but it made a lasting impression on a lot of people!
Quote by dragonwarrior
Your list lacked one show the greatest ever FIREFLY!!!!!! It may have only lasted one season but it made a lasting impression on a lot of people!

Actually, it lasted, IIRC, 14 episodes of which 12 got broadcast (or something like that) which is likely why it got missed. It's popular on Netflix, but I doubt that's how the people who made this list did their research.

In general, anything written by Whedon should probably be up there. Will be interesting to see how his Marvel SHIELD series turns out though I'm not clear on how much of it he will be writing himself. Given that he has to start ramping up for Avengers 2 soon, I imagine he'll produce and only write and direct odd episodes rather than being hands-on like he was with Firefly.
I have seen a good portion of them and the list is pretty good, i thought The West Wing was the best written of the lot myself, but Sopranos was great as was MASH , all in all a good list
Only 10 from your list but then again I don't watch much t.v.
Quote by naughtyannie
It's a very parochially American list, isn't it! Just a few UK shows thrown in for "snob value", and absolutely nothing from any other European country! I've never even heard of some of these, although I guess some of them must be old shows.

Completely agree, there have been some shows much much better in the uk and Europe - the thick of it, blackadder, Bergen and the killing (the Danish one)

Did you watch "the fall" recently?
I bought the Sopranos box set this year and watched the whole thing in 3 months. Probably the best show I have ever seen, next to Band of Brothers, which is based on reality so doesn't quite count.

The original Star Trek is superb too.

I loved BSG remake and have just watched Ep 1 of Breaking Bad tonight. Looks good !
{allba115-feed-5eed-facedeadbeef}
Firefly absolutely. Red Dwarf maybe too.
I have seen 30

watched regularly: The Simpsons, MASH, South Park, ST:NG, Xfiles, GOT, Deadwood, Breaking Bad
Quote by Slingshot1
Firefly absolutely. Red Dwarf maybe too.

Didn't think of Red Dwarf but you're right. And I would add the TV version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (written by Guide creator Douglas Adams) but it's only 6 episodes so may not qualify.

I'd love to suggest Dr. Who but given its long history, the writing has been pretty variable over time, even within a given season.
1. The Sopranos
2. Seinfeld

4. All in the Family
5. M*A*S*H
6. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
8. Cheers
11. The Simpsons
14. The Dick Van Show
17. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
18. Six Feet Under
19. Taxi
20. The Larry Sanders Show
21. 30 Rock
23. Frasier
25. Saturday Night Live
30. Curb Your Enthusiasm
31. The Honeymooners
32. Deadwood
33. Star Trek
35. Twin Peaks
36. NYPD Blue
37. The Carol Burnett Show
39. Sex & The City
40. Game of Thrones
41. The Bob Newhart Show
43. Law & Order
46. (tie) Homicide: Life on the Street;
49. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
50. The Colbert Report
53. Northern Exposure
57. Columbo
58. The Rockford Files
60. Moonlighting
70. The Andy Griffith Show
74. Murphy Brown
78. The Odd Couple
79. (tie) Alfred Hitchcock Presents; Monty Python's Flying Circus
83. Get Smart
86. Sgt. Bilko (The Phil Silvers Show)
93. Boardwalk Empire
96. Soap
98. Late Night with David Letterman

I have watched and liked all these shows at one time or another, many in reruns since they were on when I was really young or not yet born, LOL.

The ones in Bold I really liked.

BTW, am I the only person in the world that thinks I Love Lucy SUCKED!!! HAHA
Quote by Nikki703
BTW, am I the only person in the world that thinks I Love Lucy SUCKED!!! HAHA

Nope. You're in good company. I saw it the odd time when it was floating around more widely in syndication and it did nothing for me.
1. The Sopranos
9. The Wire
11. The Simpsons
29. The Cosby Show
56. Sesame Street
69. Golden Girls
101. Oz

I am surprised that Miami Vice, Knight Rider, New York Undercover, HBO Dream On, and Tales From The Crypt did not make the list.
2. Seinfeld
9. The Wire
11. The Simpsons
25. Saturday Night Live
27. Lost
28. ER
29. The Cosby Show
56. Sesame Street
63. South Park
74. House
101. Oz

I'm with Makavelli about New York Undercover and Tales From The Crypt not making the list.

On a personal favorite show of mine; I'm surprised that Supernatural didn't make the list.