last reply
82 replies
6.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by MdeSade64
I happened upon this thread and read all the messages. As I got near the end, I saw the inevitable baring of teeth and snide remarks. I was very active on this site until a few years ago. I got tired of the "drama" that seemed to be everywhere.
I published one story in 2013. I have no idea who the editor was. But, there was a lot of back and forth to fix things. I decided to submit a second but got fed up. Why? It was explained to me that OK was unacceptable. I had to write out okay. That's the one that has stuck to me like super glue. But what was infuriating, was, reading numerous stories with OK. In addition, more stories than I could count with innumerable typos and outright spelling as well as grammatical errors.
I decided that it wasn't worth the frustration and annoyance to bother trying to fix that story, nor to submit another.

hey, just so you know, the team that currently mods the stories in 2020 has very little in common with the team of 2103. i remember those days when mods would quibble about things like that -i like to think that the current team has loosened up quite a bit. also, and this goes for everyone, if you find a change that you feel is unacceptable and quibbling, and you can't get any satisfaction from the moderator editing your story, feel free to contact me and i'll take a look. it doesn't always mean i'll take your side, but sometimes it really is just a matter of miscommunication. smile

for the record, i prefer "okay" but "OK" works too. :)

knowing this, i hope you might feel compelled to publish again, Mde.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Sexy Seductive Siren
0 likes
Quote by sprite
the team that currently mods the stories in 2020 has very little in common with the team of 2103.

Now we know why there is a time travel competition! You're from the future Rachel!
Meagan
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Meagananne1986

Now we know why there is a time travel competition! You're from the future Rachel!

shhh! it's supposed to be a secret! ;)

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Forum Player
0 likes
This was a very interesting thread to read. I personally review every story that is published to see what the moderator changed. I'm not a professional writer and continue learning from those on this site that have far superior skills than I do.

I'd like to publicly tip my hat to all moderators for their time and effort of verifying so many stories each week. I thank the moderator on every story I submit for their time.
Sexy Seductive Siren
0 likes
Quote by Road_Runner
I'd like to publicly tip my hat to all moderators for their time and effort of verifying so many stories each week. I thank the moderator on every story I submit for their time.

I agree my friend! I'm glad I'm not the only who values what the moderators do - especially considering they are all volunteers!
Meagan
Simple Scribbler
0 likes
Well, Kimmi is a lover, not a fighter, so I typically won't make a complaint public unless I have exhausted all means of trying to resolve it privately. I think based on the moderator's responses, they were unaware of the grievances. My experience has been nothing but positive. I have been rejected ... several times ... and the reason was kindly explained each time. While I may not agree, (for example, I saw nothing wrong with my whore spider's spider babies graphically devouring men's flesh who wandered into her cave (lol)) if I publish on this site I need to abide by their rules. As for edits, numerous times a moderator has checked with me about something first before changing it. I'm closing in on 150 stories, so I think I have dealt with about every moderator here at some point. As with most things, kindness from both ends, along with communication (they can't fix something they don't know is broke) will keep most authors and moderators happy. And ... someone made this point ... I write in "Notes to the Moderator" if I have something in my story I definitely do NOT want tinkered with and have never had any issues with that request.
Sassy Red-haired Beach Kat/Dune Goddess
0 likes
I've been publishing stories on Lush for 12 years and I've never had an issue with any story mod. I'm grateful for the mistakes they catch and have never had anything changed in my stories except a verb tense. I've had a couple of times where my story danced too close to the rules line and I was informed, politely, what wording was causing the issue in the story. In both cases, I agreed, changed the wording, and resubmitted the story without any issues. My experiences communicating with mods have all been pleasant.

Dirty Talk Competition story: His Voice

New Mac & Grace story: Boardrooms & Boudoirs - Part Three -Chapters 9-12

The Last Dance - Part 4 & Part 5

The Last Dance is a love story, but not your ordinary love story. I’d love for people to check it out. Thanks! 🥰

Hot series: Jenna's First Time - Part 1 Of 2 & Jenna's First Time - Part 2 Of 2

Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I first began posting stories here back when the mods were tougher, when OK was NOT okay, and the comma Nazis reigned (I miss ChrissieLecker). I'm glad I joined Lush back then because their strictness made me a much better writer, and I apply everything I learned from those early rejections to everything I write now. Looser modding may be the current trend, but I don't think it does aspiring writers any favors. I'm truly grateful for all I've learned here, and I employ that free education quite often to help novice story-writers get their early efforts past the mods when they come to me after being rejected over and over. So, thank you, Lush, for making me a better writer and editor.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well personally-speaking I have been a member of this site for some seven and a half years now and I have 580 stories out there. I have, from time to time, had a word or two changed and been corrected in my punctuation more times than I care to admit, but I am learning.

I have only had a "problem" with a Mod one time and it turns out I wasn't alone in having trouble with that person (who is no longer a Mod, BTW). If you write to them and talk to them in a calm, rational, and understanding way, I have yet to find a Mod that will not try to help you - sometimes going out of their way to help you.

I have asked opinions on pictures, on story content, and yes I have had a few - very few - stories sent back for one reason or another. But that was my fault... I like to ride the boundaries a lot and sometimes I step over them!

All in all, I think our Mods do a fabulous job and I would give each one of them Moderator of the Month if I could!

Jonathan
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am still finding my feet here, and still working out what is acceptable and what is not in a Lush story. Some issues are going to depend upon the subjective judgement of the moderators - which may vary. But there is clearly a preferred underlying "house style" - which makes itself evident in the sorts of stories which tend to win competitions. That may annoy me at times - but I figure that if I join a club I need to try to follow the house rules and not get too annoyed if someone tells me to button my shirt and put on my jacket before entering the premises.

My first story was at first rejected by the lovely Curvy, and further edited by the charming Chris M. One area they had trouble with didn't surprise me: I guess I was rather cheekily hoping they wouldn't notice - but damn, they did. The other area of contention took me completely by surprise, and rather annoyed me at the time. Either way, changing my story to fit their demands wasn't too onerous. If I had really objected, I could have gone elsewhere - but I reckon that Lush is the best of literary smut sites, and I am honoured to be here.

Since then, Curvy and Chris and all the other moderators I have come into contact with have been utterly lovely: supportive, encouraging, and doing their best to be fair within the rules of the site. If they sometimes cramp my style a bit, it is probably a price worth paying for being part of a community of some of the best writers there are in this genre.

So, thanks, guys!

Grusha

GrushaVashnadze's best stories:

Alison Goes to London (RR) - "love this... fun, and funny, and sexy" (sprite)

The Cursed Cunt (RR) - "holyyyyy sheeeiiit.... Your writing is fucking fantastic" (CarltonStJames)

A Worthless Filthy Fucking Smoking Trash Cunt Whore (RR) - "Brilliantly done. Of course." (naughtyannie)

Snow White and the Seven Dildos (RR) - "Fuck. It's perfect.... honestly genius and so fucking well executed." (VioletVixen)

Metamorphoses (RR) - "so imaginative and entertaining" (saucymh)

And There Came Two Angels to Sodom - "What a deliciously worded story! So juicy, so raunchy" (el_henke)

Fuck-Talk (with VioletVixen) - "Jeez. I feel rendered wordless by how much clever fucking fun this is" (Jaymal)

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

hey, just so you know, the team that currently mods the stories in 2020 has very little in common with the team of 2103. i remember those days when mods would quibble about things like that -i like to think that the current team has loosened up quite a bit. also, and this goes for everyone, if you find a change that you feel is unacceptable and quibbling, and you can't get any satisfaction from the moderator editing your story, feel free to contact me and i'll take a look. it doesn't always mean i'll take your side, but sometimes it really is just a matter of miscommunication. smile

for the record, i prefer "okay" but "OK" works too. :)

knowing this, i hope you might feel compelled to publish again, Mde.

Thanks for your comments sprite. You are one of the reasons I come back to Lush. Whenever I get an email telling me you've published a new story, I'm like the Road Runner "Beep Beep", anxxxious to read your latest and greatest. (The 3 Xs were deliberate. I use them when I chat with others... )

Back when I was "trying" to get published it seemed like there were 2 groups of mods. Those who knew how to edit and others who did a somewhat perfunctory job. I'm glad to hear you say that they have been replaced. Maybe if I get the urge to write again, I'll submit something. Actually, I'm thinking of capturing some of my "chats" and submitting something like that, i.e., a dynamic conversation between 2 people.

I am always annoyed when I see typos in the published work. I know that I type too fast with my 4 fingers, and then "know" it was typed correctly. However, there are typos and to my mind the editor/proof reader should fix them. I say "should" if there's only a couple. But if every sentence has one, then the writer should be fixing it. Regardless, the writer should be made aware of their "writer's blindness". I'm disappointed with the author because they didn't take the time to reread their work very slowly before submitting it. But I get royally pissed at the editor/proof reader, because it got by them.

For me, I use "OK" in 2 ways. If the text is someone talking to someone else, e.g., OK let's go." I use "OK". But if it's when I'm using it in a text string, e.g., "it was okay to go outside now", I will spell it out.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by GrushaVashnadze
I am still finding my feet here, and still working out what is acceptable and what is not in a Lush story. Some issues are going to depend upon the subjective judgement of the moderators - which may vary. But there is clearly a preferred underlying "house style" - which makes itself evident in the sorts of stories which tend to win competitions. That may annoy me at times - but I figure that if I join a club I need to try to follow the house rules and not get too annoyed if someone tells me to button my shirt and put on my jacket before entering the premises.

My first story was at first rejected by the lovely Curvy, and further edited by the charming Chris M. One area they had trouble with didn't surprise me: I guess I was rather cheekily hoping they wouldn't notice - but damn, they did. The other area of contention took me completely by surprise, and rather annoyed me at the time. Either way, changing my story to fit their demands wasn't too onerous. If I had really objected, I could have gone elsewhere - but I reckon that Lush is the best of literary smut sites, and I am honoured to be here.

Since then, Curvy and Chris and all the other moderators I have come into contact with have been utterly lovely: supportive, encouraging, and doing their best to be fair within the rules of the site. If they sometimes cramp my style a bit, it is probably a price worth paying for being part of a community of some of the best writers there are in this genre.

So, thanks, guys!

Grusha

my only real issue with your stories is that you don't use the word 'fuck' enough. pretty sure you're slacking if you don't squeeze it in at least every other sentence.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have never had a problem with the mods, it can be annoying when a story gets rejected or changed but the explanations have always been clear and reasonable. I value what the mods do and I have learnt so much from them in my writing style and grammar.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

my only real issue with your stories is that you don't use the word 'fuck' enough. pretty sure you're slacking if you don't squeeze it in at least every other sentence.

Hey, Rachel, didn't you notice? In Metamorphoses I didn't say "fuck" for a whole nine paragraphs!

(Yeah OK, OK, I know I said "cunt" twice in those nine paragraphs - but... maybe it's the party talking, or the chocolate fondue...)

[winks]

GrushaVashnadze's best stories:

Alison Goes to London (RR) - "love this... fun, and funny, and sexy" (sprite)

The Cursed Cunt (RR) - "holyyyyy sheeeiiit.... Your writing is fucking fantastic" (CarltonStJames)

A Worthless Filthy Fucking Smoking Trash Cunt Whore (RR) - "Brilliantly done. Of course." (naughtyannie)

Snow White and the Seven Dildos (RR) - "Fuck. It's perfect.... honestly genius and so fucking well executed." (VioletVixen)

Metamorphoses (RR) - "so imaginative and entertaining" (saucymh)

And There Came Two Angels to Sodom - "What a deliciously worded story! So juicy, so raunchy" (el_henke)

Fuck-Talk (with VioletVixen) - "Jeez. I feel rendered wordless by how much clever fucking fun this is" (Jaymal)

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have to say that I've had nothing but a positive experience with the moderators. They are all different, and I've found that some have a slightly different take on how things should be, but overall each one has helped me with my stories. The moderators are good people, if you have an issue with an edit, simply asked them why, and explain why you think it should be different.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nylon_punkie
Is anyone else unhappy with how their stories are edited?

If a mistake is spotted then fair enough but I find they take stylistic decisions.

They chuck in commas willy-nilly, sometimes changing the meaning of a phrase completely.

Worst of all is that they replace my interesting words with bland clichéd ones.

Are the editors American? Maybe they are taught different punctuation rules in school?

That may also explain why they are unfamiliar with good old British words like 'Thwap!'

If a cock hits you in the face, it doesn't go 'TWANG' unless the character has had some kind of metallic implant.

Hi, I know you from another site, although I have a different user name there. You said in your biography that all of your submissions to Lush were rejected. May I ask, was that because of content?

The only story I had rejected but which I couldn't fix was a BDSM story which was purely about a punishment. It was deemed non-consual, although the recepitent wasn't physically restrained. Also, the recipient got "no pleasure" from it, which was undoubtedly true. The moderator said I could resubmit it if I rewrote it. I couldn' think of a plausible way to do that, so I published it on another site.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LakeShoreLimited

Hi, I know you from another site, although I have a different user name there. You said in your biography that all of your submissions to Lush were rejected. May I ask, was that because of content?

No, Lakeshore, thanks for asking but I don't really go anywhere near the edges of the content rules, most of my stories are full of caring and loving relationships. The worst anyone suffers in my stories is heartbreak.

Everyone I dealt with at Lush was reasonable and polite but I just found the whole process to be invasive and mutating my work, so I stopped trying here. I hit a wall.
It seems to work for everyone else so I can accept it's just me.
They were my carefully chosen commas and my wrangled words and I didn't want to change them.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nylon_punkie

No, Lakeshore, thanks for asking but I don't really go anywhere near the edges of the content rules, most of my stories are full of caring and loving relationships. The worst anyone suffers in my stories is heartbreak.

Everyone I dealt with at Lush was reasonable and polite but I just found the whole process to be invasive and mutating my work, so I stopped trying here. I hit a wall.
It seems to work for everyone else so I can accept it's just me.
They were my carefully chosen commas and my wrangled words and I didn't want to change them.

Really? I almost never look at their changes anymore. I went back to look at a couple recently. Yeah, they fiddle around with commas to some degree. One thing they did: there is a character named Julia who refers to herself as Julie at one point. They changed that back to Julia. Oh well, that's life.

James Joyce's Ulysses was changed so many times that there is probably no absolutely "final" edition of it. One problem was that the first edition, I think, was produced by French-speaking typesetters. He also introduced some deliberate errors at times which were changed back. I think at one point he just gave up on it. Some editions were published after his death when he obviously had no input into it. With all due respect, he had something to worry about!

None of us here are James Joyce. I know I'll be lucky if anybody will be reading my stuff a year from now, much less a hundred. I just try to relax and go with the flow.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
One thing they did: there is a character named Julia who refers to herself as Julie at one point. They changed that back to Julia. Oh well, that's life.

Almost certainly the moderator that made that change thought they were correcting a mistake for you. We see stories all the time where the writer has changed a character name prior to submitting it and has missed an instance or two in the text.

You're very welcome to edit it back if you wish. You can do this in your Stories List. smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Liz

Almost certainly the moderator that made that change thought they were correcting a mistake for you. We see stories all the time where the writer has changed a character name prior to submitting it and has missed an instance or two in the text.

You're very welcome to edit it back if you wish. You can do this in your Stories List. smile

Thank you, I'll consider it. An edited story has to be reapproved again, correct? I don't think I've done one on this site. I know on another site it takes them a week, so it has to be something big for me to bother with it.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Thank you, I'll consider it. An edited story has to be reapproved again, correct? I don't think I've done one on this site. I know on another site it takes them a week, so it has to be something big for me to bother with it.

They do need to be reapproved but we get to them pretty quick. Moderators will be able to see that the story has already been approved once and is only back in the queue for an edit. It won't even need reading again by a mod as the changes are highlighted in the text for our convenience.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Liz

They do need to be reapproved but we get to them pretty quick. Moderators will be able to see that the story has already been approved once and is only back in the queue for an edit. It won't even need reading again by a mod as the changes are highlighted in the text for our convenience.

Thank you.

I do have another couple of stories with plot changes - not too major. I may submit those in about a week or so; I will be away for a few days.
0 likes

Thank you.

I do have another couple of stories with plot changes - not too major. I may submit those in about a week or so; I will be away for a few days.

We've had a lot of stories coming in recently with minor edits which is really good, it shows our authors have pride in their work.
Just as a note, please make sure use the Lush editor when correcting typos etc. (go to My Stories, select the correct story and click edit) - DON'T resubmit the story from scratch. As Liz said, using the Lush editor means edits are highlighted, so verification is easy.
NB Major re-writes (whole sections added / altered) have to be fully reverified, so be prepared for a slightly longer wait.
Lurker
0 likes
I posted my first story and it was edited and i did not like that the editor considered the term "white trash" when used to describe a person the editor deleted the "white" because it was deemed as racist but other than that i had no issue with the editing.