Stolen Stories

last reply
167 replies
24.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Hi there, guys. New to this website, so if I mess up the posting somehow, then I apologise.

I'm the admin for the Literate Union. Saw that one of our members came over to say hi and thought I should settle things down before we all start raging at each other.

A couple of things to clarify:

-- I'm not here because I'm butthurt over any particular action of any particular person. Sprite was banned by one of my mods for her (I assume you are a her. Sorry if you're not) behaviour. That is as far as my care extends over the matter. I'm too busy with things like university and other activities to be bothered by such an incident. We see it all the time. Nothing new, nothing shocking, nothing worth me getting flustered over.

-- I do not care about the reputation of Fanfiction.net. It's a site I go on, like many other. Therefore the comment 'If you're butthurt because a victim of plagiarism showed her displeasure and you think it made a site you're part of look bad' does not apply to me. I go on FFnet to read stories and talk to my friends. That doesn't make the site itself any less shit.

-- The LU does not run Fanfiction.net. We have no power past reporting.

-- The LU does not have the ear of the site admins. They ignore us just as much as they ignore everyone else. The only reason our reports go through is because we have strength in numbers. However, past basic story reporting, we are powerless. Emails and messages sent to the site admins from us will be ignored the same as any other user. That means sending emails to report a copied bio will also be ignored. Although to my knowledge, the site seems to only recognise plagiarism in the form of stories, not bios.

-- Being a published author does not grant you exemption from the Literate Union rules, nor will it change my attitude towards a person. I treat people equally until I get to know them. OK, so there may have been a misunderstanding over LU rules, but the attitude displayed (one of indignation at our ability of being able to do nothing) was not welcomed. I understand now that you weren't aware that we couldn't do anything at the time, Sprite, but try to see it from our perspective. You didn't like the fact that we didn't do anything to help you and started to be less than pleasant with us. Do you really expect us to respond positively to that?

Anyway, I'm here to try and resolve the issue in a place where you are more comfortable. Hopefully we can clear up any misunderstandings and then I can return to my Stephen King book without hearing any rumours that my members are trying to pick fights with yours. smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Georgasaurus
Hi there, guys. New to this website, so if I mess up the posting somehow, then I apologise.

I'm the admin for the Literate Union. Saw that one of our members came over to say hi and thought I should settle things down before we all start raging at each other.

Anyway, I'm here to try and resolve the issue in a place where you are more comfortable. Hopefully we can clear up any misunderstandings and then I can return to my Stephen King book without hearing any rumours that my members are trying to pick fights with yours. smile

Wanna chat? U got cam?
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

Wanna chat? U got cam?

Unfortunately, I don't have a cam. Left it at my parents when I went to university. Is that what those request things are that keep popping up on my screen? Chat thingies? I really don't know how to work this site. XD
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Unfortunately, I don't have a cam. Left it at my parents when I went to university. Is that what those request things are that keep popping up on my screen? Chat thingies? I really don't know how to work this site. XD

See that bit at the top that says "online" - click it - makes things a lot more bearable
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Constant Gardener
0 likes
Quote by LadyX
Makes me wish I knew a good hacker. I'd love to take their precious website down.

The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

See that bit at the top that says "online" - click it - makes things a lot more bearable

I see! Thank you very much. ^_^
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Georgasaurus

A couple of things to clarify:

-- I'm not here because I'm butthurt over any particular action of any particular person. Sprite was banned by one of my mods for her (I assume you are a her. Sorry if you're not) behaviour. That is as far as my care extends over the matter. I'm too busy with things like university and other activities to be bothered by such an incident. We see it all the time. Nothing new, nothing shocking, nothing worth me getting flustered over.

-- I do not care about the reputation of Fanfiction.net. It's a site I go on, like many other. Therefore the comment 'If you're butthurt because a victim of plagiarism showed her displeasure and you think it made a site you're part of look bad' does not apply to me. I go on FFnet to read stories and talk to my friends. That doesn't make the site itself any less shit.

-- The LU does not run Fanfiction.net. We have no power past reporting.

-- The LU does not have the ear of the site admins. They ignore us just as much as they ignore everyone else. The only reason our reports go through is because we have strength in numbers. However, past basic story reporting, we are powerless. Emails and messages sent to the site admins from us will be ignored the same as any other user. That means sending emails to report a copied bio will also be ignored. Although to my knowledge, the site seems to only recognise plagiarism in the form of stories, not bios.

-- Being a published author does not grant you exemption from the Literate Union rules, and nor will it change my attitude towards a person. I treat people equally until I get to know them. OK, so there may have been a misunderstanding over LU rules, but the attitude displayed (one of indignation at our ability of being able to do nothing) was not welcomed. I understand now that you weren't aware that we couldn't do anything at the time, Sprite, but try to see it from our perspective. You didn't like the fact that we didn't do anything to help you and started to be less than pleasant with us. Do you really expect us to respond positively to that?

*nods* i can totally understand if my words were taken out of context. however, at no time did i mean to confrontational and, as i have said, i genuinely thought that admin had some pull on the site, being unfamiliar with how it works. Yes, that was made clear to me, but it was made very clear to me that i wasn't welcome to air my issue very early on. obviously, i had hit a wall of frustration by the time i posted and felt like i was getting the brush off, my perception of events, just as it is the admins perception that i was being rude and demanding, which was not my intent. had the issue been simply over stolen stories, it would have been one thing, but a stolen bio:

imagine this, you visit a site and you find what ever bio it is you use on your site, your name, your reputation, personal details and below it are stories that aren't yours and it's being used by a person claiming to be you. i would feel violated. right now i am dealing with some very personal stories that were also taken - it's an eye opener, let me tell you. and it's doubly frustrating when you come to the realization that probably, nothing is going to be done about it. Had i known the inner workings of the site, things might have gone differently, but i didn't. Adding fuel to the fire were actual members of the site going thru the same thing and voicing their frustration.

in retrospect, i guess i am spoiled here. we have mods and a site owner who put a lot of care into making sure it's members are comfortable and taken care of. i settled here and have never gone anywhere else, so perhaps i assumed that it was universal. now i am realizing how lucky i am.

for the record, and this goes for every one on lush as well, i am not interested, nor ever was, in creating friction between the two sites, and since my goal of having the stories and bios removed, i will not being coming back. it's simply not a good fit for me. i am truly sorry if i came off as anything but a writer trying to protect the work that i put a lot of time and effort and love into. that was not my intention.

sincerely,
sprite

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Georgasaurus
Quote by overmykneenow

Wanna chat? U got cam?

*nods* one of the things you get used to here, and it goes away after a while, is chat requests. feel free to ignore them, mostly they are harmless.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale
Quote by LadyX
Makes me wish I knew a good hacker. I'd love to take their precious website down.

no. come one guys, talk like this solves nothing.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
Quote by Georgasaurus
Quote by overmykneenow

Wanna chat? U got cam?

*nods* one of the things you get used to here, and it goes away after a while, is chat requests. feel free to ignore them, mostly they are harmless.

Now, SEE George....... (Isn't she really nice???!!!) XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX S
The Linebacker
0 likes
Sprite, Doll & other fellow Lush members who have had your stories stolen just let us..your friends on Lush know who, what & where to contact in order to support you.. You've got a bunch of friends here and we will support you however you need. Hell yes, we'll go to war for you!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Buz
Sprite, Doll & other fellow Lush members who have had your stories stolen just let us..your friends on Lush know who, what & where to contact in order to support you.. You've got a bunch of friends here and we will support you however you need. Hell yes, we'll go to war for you!

Thank you, Buz. I'll PM you the links to the sites where my stuff has been lifted. I really appreciate that.

www.szadvntures.com

Latest story:

• TBD

• Bump in the Night-Microfiction

• Smoke Break-Interracial

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Do we really want these people?

or if your not convinced, a quote from themselves

"Bear in mind that the LU is a close community. We talk at the LU forum and have made friends with other members. Attack one of us, attack all of us. If you post a hate story/hate group/revenge flame/hate mail, don't be surprised if you suddenly find a large number of flamers and concritters at your digital door wanting to get in on the fun."
Lurker
0 likes
Lets all just calm down okay...There is no need to flame any wars between us and other sites. It has all blown out of proportion as it does with online life. I might even lock this topic down if I see one more inflammatory post. It just casts a bad light on the site and any newbies wanting to join might be discouraged from joining.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think a well worded civil message on behalf of our fellow Lush members who have had their stories plagiarized would be quite appropriate. Most of these other sites may actually be appreciative as they most likely have the same disdain for plagiarism as we all do. Most of them most likely have no idea that their site was used to place a plagiarized story. Keep it civil and you will probably get the best results.
You are invited to read Passionate Danger, Part II, a story collaboration by Kim and ArtMan.
http://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/passionate-danger-part-ii.aspx

Lurker
0 likes
blondie18076's profile has been deleted. ~ LU lurker.

rockersXdream still has a profile, but as you said before, that pm'ing her got her to take down all her stories and change her profile info.

P.S. These were the two profiles that were mentioned by sprite and ashleigh (I forget your screen name. Your real name is easier to remember) that had stolen stories on fanfiction.net.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Edit: Sorry for the late response. Went to buy food and dinner and things. ^_^

Quote by sprite
imagine this, you visit a site and you find what ever bio it is you use on your site, your name, your reputation, personal details and below it are stories that aren't yours and it's being used by a person claiming to be you. i would feel violated. right now i am dealing with some very personal stories that were also taken - it's an eye opener, let me tell you. and it's doubly frustrating when you come to the realization that probably, nothing is going to be done about it. Had i known the inner workings of the site, things might have gone differently, but i didn't. Adding fuel to the fire were actual members of the site going thru the same thing and voicing their frustration.

Oh believe me, I know what it feels like. I've had my pen name stolen before and ransomed back to me. I've also had various people posing as me on other sites and signing petitions under my name trying to make me look like a sexist bigot. However, I've come to stop caring. People want to pose as me? Fine. They'll get no reaction from me and so it becomes a waste of their time. Meanwhile, I carry on with my life writing stories and talking to the people I love. The only thing it could possibly effect is my ego, and only if I let it.

As for the rest of it, I'm sorry that your frustration led to such a conflict. It's a pity it ended like it did. And even though you say you won't be returning to the site, I can unblock you, if you like? smile

Quote by fish1212
[url=]Do we really want these people?[/url]

or if your not convinced, a quote from themselves

"Bear in mind that the LU is a close community. We talk at the LU forum and have made friends with other members. Attack one of us, attack all of us. If you post a hate story/hate group/revenge flame/hate mail, don't be surprised if you suddenly find a large number of flamers and concritters at your digital door wanting to get in on the fun."

Couple of things. First, you're looking at an uber hater with an out-of-date profile. Good job there with finding relevant, unbiased information, bro. ;)

Secondly, no one here 'attacked' the LU, so the LU isn't out to cause any trouble. If my members come here and start being dicks again, I'll rage at them. I see no problem other than a simple misunderstanding. :)
Matriarch
0 likes
I think this clusterfuck has gone on long enough.

Thank you for putting us in the picture Georgasaurus as to how that site *works*.

Quote by Georgasaurus
If my members come here and start being dicks again, I'll rage at them. I see no problem other than a simple misunderstanding. smile

Your intervention is appreciated.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by ArtMan
Quote by Josephine
blondie18076's profile has been deleted.

Great news!

One down! Only about 5,666 more thieves scattered around the net on multiple sites to go! Good luck everyone.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Quote by nicola
I think this clusterfuck has gone on long enough.

Thank you for putting us in the picture Georgasaurus as to how that site *works*.

*laughs*

In the loosest sense of the word, yes. xD