Login

Question about prologues and epilogues

last reply
8 replies
1 watcher
5 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Is it in any way unusual for a story to have an epilogue without a prologue? I have a pretty solid idea of how I want to end my story, but I don't think I can stretch it out to a full chapter.

Voyeur @ f/64
2 likes

I have a few stories with epilogues, but none with prologues. They may be useful paired, but I don't believe they are mutually dependent. That said, they should not be used to simply mask an incomplete story.

Active Ink Slinger
1 like

No, it's not incomplete. Far from it. I just think the final scene would work better if it's its own separate thing as opposed to trying to force into the last chapter. Thank you for your help.

Voyeur @ f/64
0 likes

Quote by MrOrange143

No, it's not incomplete. Far from it. I just think the final scene would work better if it's its own separate thing as opposed to trying to force into the last chapter. Thank you for your help.

The epi is best (IMHO) as a summation of a story told (as here: Laying the Record Straight) that adds a further completeness and understanding of what has come before.

There are better writers here that I hope will chime in to your benefit.

Amateur Muse, Professional Lover
0 likes

I think a prologue is very effective when used properly. You can set the direction the story is going in, and treat it as the unsaid conclusion. The example that Kistin gives is an excellent example. There is no reason not to use both in one story, either but I would recommend being inventive.

This is my collection of muses and stories.

The Pianist - Dreamers must eat, and at their lowest ebb, any dream is still possible.

Vengeance - At the end of her tether, Anais descends into an all-consuming need for revenge.

Having fun!
0 likes

Another here who thinks prologues can be a great way of setting up a story. I used one in my first novel, an innocent scene that is the catalyst for the start of the main story set four years later. I also have an epilogue written, which will close the story out and answer a few lingering questions.

I cannot see why you have to have an epilogue, even if you have a prologue. A suggestion. Could you tag a short epilogue onto the end of your last posted chapter?

My Dirty Talk comp entry: Knickerless

A gay standalone story: The Queens Head

A standalone story: A Good Life

A standalone office sex story: Back in the Office

Active Ink Slinger
1 like

Quote by wxt55uk

Another here who thinks prologues can be a great way of setting up a story. I used one in my first novel, an innocent scene that is the catalyst for the start of the main story set four years later. I also have an epilogue written, which will close the story out and answer a few lingering questions.

I cannot see why you have to have an epilogue, even if you have a prologue. A suggestion. Could you tag a short epilogue onto the end of your last posted chapter?

I think you misunderstand. I don't have a prologue for my story, and I'm asking if it's unusual to have an epilogue without a prologue.

Headbanging ape from cold North 🤘
1 like

Quote by MrOrange143

I think you misunderstand. I don't have a prologue for my story, and I'm asking if it's unusual to have an epilogue without a prologue.

No more unusual than a prologue with no epilogue, which actually happens a lot. An epilogue simply adds a conclusion to the story, maybe a scene reflecting back on the events or a "where are they now?" bit. It is in no way dependent on a prologue, which is usually setting the stage or dropping some backstory.

Nothing new on here, but my entry in the latest comp on StoriesSpace took third place!

Read it here: Plus One

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Quote by Seeker4

No more unusual than a prologue with no epilogue, which actually happens a lot. An epilogue simply adds a conclusion to the story, maybe a scene reflecting back on the events or a "where are they now?" bit. It is in no way dependent on a prologue, which is usually setting the stage or dropping some backstory.

That is exactly what I had in mind. Thank you so much.