last reply
123 replies
18.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by DirtyMartini

I have to admit I'm rather challenged when it comes to stuff like this, but I got a hard time recently from an editor for ending a sentence with the word "it" in my story "Sexual Healing"...

Is "it" one of those proposition thingies?

Dirty, you are completely fine ending a sentence with it. It is not a preposition, it's a noun. "I could not care less about it." "I meant to bring dinner home, but forgot about it."

I'm a loner, Dottie. A Rebel...

Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by DirtyMartini
Thanks...apparently my editor didn't think so though...oh well, I fixed it...

You're incorrigible.

To be serious for a moment, however, it may have been just that particular sentence the editor didn't want to end with it. Sometimes the flow of a piece is disrupted even when the writing is grammatically correct, and the art of good editing lies in being able to pinpoint those instances and suggest corrections.
Maggie R
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by CrossOfStAndrew
"I could care less".....they mean "I COULDN'T care less."

some times i could care less, i just don't feel like putting in the effort to care that little.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Constant Gardener
0 likes
For all in tense and porpoises
The same GQP demanding we move on from January 6th, 2021 is still doing audits of the November 3rd, 2020 election.
Artistic Tart
0 likes
This thread doesn't cut the mustard.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by WellMadeMale
For all in tense and porpoises

You have been found guilty as charged for 2 counts of "could care less" in posts, when the correct phrase should be "couldn't care less".

Lurker
0 likes
Should this thread be renamed "Phrases you wish people would get correct"? Or am I being needlessly stupid and pedantic?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Shylass
It drives me bonkers when people say things like, "It needs washed." No, it does not. "It needs washing."

"It needs turned off." No! "It needs turning off."

Damn them. At least when I use bad grammar and madey-uppy words, I usually do it on purpose, not because I'm simply incompetent (that's only one small element).

Haha, that made me laugh!
Lurker
0 likes
When I ask my boss a question like, "Are there any more of these forms?" and her reply is, "Yes, it's some in the cabinet."

It's?

The following are words not phrases, but they annoy me.

Specifically - I hear people pronounce it 'pacifically' and I just cringe.

Leery - My boss says 'weary' instead of leery...I am weary of her saying it that way!!!!

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/style-and-usage/mispron.html
Sophisticate
0 likes
You send people your regards (good wishes). When discussing something it is "with (or in) regard to", not the plural.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
In writing, I hate the careless use of their/there/they're, to/too/two, your/you're, and the like.

I also tend to get extremely annoyed when an author ends a sentence with a preposition, especially in a third person narrative. I've read many stories where the language is used in the manner in which the person is speaking, which I love, because you can actually hear the voice in your head as you read. When reading some of Lush's amazing authors from the UK, for example, they have an amazing ability to portray a lovely Scottish brogue. That means you, Clum!!!

But in a third person narrative, I like the language to be clean, with proper grammar and spelling, so there is no distraction from the story.
Lurker
0 likes
'For God's Sake!' It's NOT 'For God's Sakes!'... at least where I come from.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SITTING
'For God's Sake!' It's NOT 'For God's Sakes!'... at least where I come from.

Unless they have more than one god, but then it should be, "For the gods' sakes."
My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Sitting at the edge of darkness
0 likes
I have a manager at work that is always saying "Has Went". I am no grammar scholar but that phrase is like nails on a chalk board to me.

She also told a client at the reception window "Oh, you have junk in your trunk". She had no idea what that meant but uses it at home for her kids when they have a stuffy or runny nose. This was said in a medical office. The poor customer was mortified until I handed her a tissue and hinted at what was actually meant. This woman was made manager and I still hear her saying it.
Check out Kiteares A-Z of kinks and fetishes in micros. The first is of course A Actirasty (if you read it you won't have to google it!)

I HAVE FINISHED MY A-Z GLIMPSE OF THE MEETING OF INTERNET FRIENDS. STARTING WITH ANTICIPATION https://www.lushstories.com/stories/microfiction/-anticipation--2.aspx

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/flash-erotica/good-morning-baby.aspx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/flash-erotica/-sweet-nectar-.aspx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
"inconceivable" I realize it is one word, but still a goodie.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
When people say "prima-donna" then they continue talking and you start to realize that they think the phrase is "pre-madonna".
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by samg61
"inconceivable" I realize it is one word, but still a goodie.

Anyone who thinks they don't like that word needs to watch 'The Princess Bride'.