Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Might a new genre be added to the list? Specifically "Dark Erotica?"

last reply
6 replies
1.6k views
1 watcher
2 likes

Would you like to see "Dark Erotica" added as a poll?

I want to post a story about a man who goes to a club for the night where he undergoes humiliation and pain but the people are all strangers. "BDSM" has come to mean, it seems to me, a life style involving "power dynamics" between people with a personal relationship. I would rather have a different genre to use. I don't see any others in the list that would fit. If you think this genre would be a good addition, could you reply here? I'm also adding a poll, but I hope this gets some comments as well.

It needs to be defined in a general way and clearly. I mean, to some it might mean erotic horror (similar to "Dark Fantasy" in non-erotic publishing) to others it might be more about reluctance and BDSM, which are covered by existing genres. Going broader than your specific case, how would you define this "Dark Erotica"? As a writer, how would I know if a story that I am writing belongs in it?

I'll never get my damned Omnium badge (if they still exist) if people keep adding categories...

frowns at Nicola and Face Sitting smackbottom lol

More seriously is it a club specifically for that? Wouldn't that be a hard-core (another category to think of) BDSM club? If it's just a random club then you're looking possibly at Reluctance - but note the rules on that... they must enjoy it ultimately.

Beyond what seeker said, If the category does get included it would have to still sit within Lush's rules, does your idea for the category sit comfortably in there? If it doesn't and the stories are walking the line, you have got to ask if any of the mods would be willing to deal with stories like that.

From what you've said, I've voted no, it's not needed you have BDSM, Hard Core and Reluctance that seem to fit the bill, maybe even Fetish if he went to the club seeking this. You could run the story past one of the mods and ask their opinion of if it would be suitable for the site and which category would be best. I'm sure if you ask one or more will help you out if they can.

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Once more in Love Poems - My Forever Beauty

My 2 previous submissions:

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

Please read and enjoy. If you really enjoyed a story someone has written; how about clicking on 'Like' and/or 'Favorite'.
Why not leave a comment too?

"it would have to still sit within Lush's rules, does your idea for the category sit comfortably in there?" I was unable to find any rules about content other than prohibiting things concerning people under 18 (or 16). Could you point me to these rules you mention?

Quote by AG31

"it would have to still sit within Lush's rules, does your idea for the category sit comfortably in there?" I was unable to find any rules about content other than prohibiting things concerning people under 18 (or 16). Could you point me to these rules you mention?

Simplified Acceptable Content Guide

This is the OP by nicola, but would be worth reading through the thread.

Quote by nicola
We have a few very simple core rules, which are outlined in our terms and conditions (who reads those? ).

If you stick to these, there's every chance your story will be accepted:

I agree not to post stories which feature minors (under 16 years old). I also agree not to submit stories which include content pertaining to , graphic violence, totally unwilling participants, drugging, dangerous sexual acts, snuff, racism, or .

Please use your common sense. If you think your submission may cause gross offence, it's probably not a good fit for this site!

Thank you.

Nicola

Kite's Kinky Tales

My latest offering -

Once more in Love Poems - My Forever Beauty

My 2 previous submissions:

Both Love Poems

Pearls

As The New Year Dawns

Please read and enjoy. If you really enjoyed a story someone has written; how about clicking on 'Like' and/or 'Favorite'.
Why not leave a comment too?

I'm not really sure what people would expect to fall under Dark Erotica, but a Google search indicates it might be more things we don't accept here anyway, specifically around non-consent.

I think the existing categories we have probably cover all that's needed. Despite BDSM perhaps being seen in the mainstream as handcuffs, leather and spanking, the individual elements of it are pretty broad:

Bondage/Discipline

Domination/Submission

Sadism/Masochism

We also have horror and genres, but do bear in mind we won't publish anything too graphic or extreme.

Quote by AG31

a story about a man who goes to a club for the night where he undergoes humiliation and pain but the people are all strangers. "BDSM" has come to mean, it seems to me, a life style involving "power dynamics" between people with a personal relationship.

On the Hardcore genre page, it reads (bolded some parts for emphasis):
'Our hardcore sex stories are for those who like "edgier" stories, pushing the limits. They are typically difficult to classify in other categories, and will usually involve multiple elements that may not be to everyone's tastes.

Stories which contain the following, are likely to be found in this hardcore section: gagging, rough sex, choking play, ass-to-mouth, watersports, cum-play, snowballing, anal play, enemas, face-sitting, cbt, fisting, cock beating / face slapping, and other types of sex usually reserved for those who like the more extreme forms of sexual activity.'

If the BDSM aspects aren't the focus of the story, but it contains other elements like anonymous sex, rough sex, pain, and humiliation then this category might be the best fit.