Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Lovely video on Language use.

last reply
3 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
I've contributed to many forums over the years. The one thing that marks Lush out from of all the other is that I have never seen anyone on here use another person's grammatical slips as ammunition to belittle them.

So no one need take my posting this video as a dig. I just think it so well done, so well intended. Stephen Fry is a joy to listen to.

Writius Eroticus
0 likes
Superb! I admit to rolling my eyes at "10 items or less" or when a pack of Jaffa Cakes claim they're part of a multi-pack and "not to be sold seperately" and when someone asks if I'll Facebook them (which is nonspecific as it could mean to PM them, or write on their wall, or tag them in a post) but Fry is right that the intent is still clear.

I can live with the lack of correctness in others' work. Doesn't mean I'll lower correctness standards in my own writing (and, yes, I've missed some howlers in my writing that have been picked up by other mods).

You're right that the forums are largely civil. They're a fun place to hang. Online chat is far more loose than writing a story, and people generally respect that. Here at Lush, we try to encourage authors to aim for a higher standard of storytelling than many other sites, which is what sets this site apart. The mods care about helping authors present their best work, in the same way Fry talks of dressing up for an interview. Because, regardless of intent, grammar can be used wrongly in prose, which changes intent, or is misleading and therefore makes for a more jarring reading experience. We don't want that for our readers. Overall consistency and quality are our yardsticks, while retaining the author's voice.

In the pursuit of that, sometimes it necessitates being the 'bad guy' and taking a digital red pen to writing. But we're a resource. Use us. By helping authors correct grammatical mistakes that alter intent and perception, we aim to maintain a repository of the very best erotica on the internet. Somewhere people will enjoy and will come back to. And recommend to others smile

I don't think that goal breaks the spirit of what Fry portrays in this excellent video, so I'm happy with our balance here.

Thanks for sharing

Please browse my digital bookshelf. In this collection, you can find 104 full stories, 10 micro-stories, and 2 poems with the following features:

* 29 Editor's Picks, 70 Recommended Reads.
* 15 competition podium places, 9 other times in the top ten.
* 21 collaborations.
* A whole heap of often filthy, tense, hot sex.

Щíccαη Щoods Щhore
0 likes
The many languages of different cultures, their many different dialects spoken by each local ethnic grouping, have wonderfully, interesting quality.
My travels have shown me this ist much a delight to experience every place I've visited.

Many languages can be rather unique, some abit sexier, some even euphoric if ya take time to truly study
them in at least some depth.
Some of the lesser considered or well known languages are from central und eastern European cultures
such as the many different dialects of Russian that are very emotional languages I think.
Though, if ya have but little or no understanding?
Russian, Baltic, etc...can sound much likened to secret rocket plans many times...

If your thread ist referring to mostly Lushdom und English language?
Then no, peeps here don't generally act so petty regarding other's literacy
though I have been mocked in the Chat Rooms a few times by such buttwipes.
Overall this ist not practiced here und especially notable of the story Mods, who've edited stories I had published here before,
they often give advice to writers because they may recognize worthy work, only wishing to help make it more exceptional,
und not simply to judge.

"Literal" ist "literacy" of course, but no one should simply judge the everyday life of misleading slang (bad ist bad or bad ist good)
semantics of more western culture.
I do think someone judging badly language sentence structuring of any dialect?
Has little understanding of the constantly changing phonetics by current inhabiting demographic preference (slang),
or it's more relevant cross language interpretation, und much indicates a sign of someone's own ignorance und phobia
possibly due to them being Monoliterate.

I wonder if this ist mainly an American thing?
Because I haven't ever experienced such judging of other's language from other Europeans who most often
speak at least 1 or more languages than their own fairly well.

Language has been changing for many 1,000s of years from one culture to another.
This ist how language has grown to become language instead of simply grunting pant-hoots of chimpanzees during mating season.
One of the most important traits of our human-species, the ability to take sounds, modulate them into syllables,
into words, combining them into sentence structure of multi-level communication.

Language ist not simply the many differences all over the world, but the many dialects of their own more local ethnic groups,
und the words they choose signifies the meaning of their cultures.

Even if we disagree with the choices of other's literacy.

~~~
Phonetic change throughout history
ist of importance as their Ethnic Grouping.
The language we choose defines us.
Het zal ons lot zijn.
Ivanka Leonie Fuchs (2015)
. . .♀♌TT☩✯⁂⊕⧋▽⧊ )◯( ψΨ∅ǯǮǯ∞✾❈❁✤. . .
0 likes
Quote by WannabeWordsmith
Superb! I admit to rolling my eyes at "10 items or less" or when a pack of Jaffa Cakes claim they're part of a multi-pack and "not to be sold seperately" and when someone asks if I'll Facebook them (which is nonspecific as it could mean to PM them, or write on their wall, or tag them in a post) but Fry is right that the intent is still clear.

I can live with the lack of correctness in others' work. Doesn't mean I'll lower correctness standards in my own writing (and, yes, I've missed some howlers in my writing that have been picked up by other mods).

You're right that the forums are largely civil. They're a fun place to hang. Online chat is far more loose than writing a story, and people generally respect that. Here at Lush, we try to encourage authors to aim for a higher standard of storytelling than many other sites, which is what sets this site apart. The mods care about helping authors present their best work, in the same way Fry talks of dressing up for an interview. Because, regardless of intent, grammar can be used wrongly in prose, which changes intent, or is misleading and therefore makes for a more jarring reading experience. We don't want that for our readers. Overall consistency and quality are our yardsticks, while retaining the author's voice.

In the pursuit of that, sometimes it necessitates being the 'bad guy' and taking a digital red pen to writing. But we're a resource. Use us. By helping authors correct grammatical mistakes that alter intent and perception, we aim to maintain a repository of the very best erotica on the internet. Somewhere people will enjoy and will come back to. And recommend to others smile

I don't think that goal breaks the spirit of what Fry portrays in this excellent video, so I'm happy with our balance here.

Thanks for sharing

javascript:insertsmiley(' ','/images/emoticons/goodpost.gif')

You guys at Lush have got it just right. It all comes down to Fry's closing remarks: Context, convention and circumstance.

No one is going to be proofing their own forum posts like they might one of their stories. Positing online is like an actual conversation, with all the verbal rough and tumble that entails. From what I've seen in other places, some keyboard warriors spend their day lying in wait for the grammatically unwary.